Windows 10: cant change PIN on my user account on shared laptop

Discus and support cant change PIN on my user account on shared laptop in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi Im having trouble changing the PIN on my user account so that my daughter cant access it. Shes logged into her account using her school... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by nickholl-FDA445B2-E98E-45, Mar 28, 2021.

1. cant change PIN on my user account on shared laptop

Hi

Im having trouble changing the PIN on my user account so that my daughter cant access it. Shes logged into her account using her school Microsoft teams account which seems to limit my ability to change the pin on my account for some reason as it thinks im logged in using THAT address.

Strangley, when i try to log into my microsoft account it says it cant find one! even though i know it exists and used it to log into this forum.

A this rate ill have to delete the user area and create another one just to change the PIN.

Just to confrim, im able to change the password, just not the PIN its all so confusing

thanks for any help you can give

Niick

:)

nickholl-FDA445B2-E98E-45, Mar 28, 2021

2. Windows 10 Change password to pin

Hi Ana,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

Please share the details.

• Are you able to log in to your desktop?

• Do you see any error code along with the error message?
    I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to set up a PIN on your Windows User Account:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click
      Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Add button.

• Type in the password for your User Account, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.

From now on you’ll be able to log in to your Windows account by entering your 4 digit PIN instead of your password.

You can change your PIN at any time by following the steps below:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Change button.

• Enter your Windows password, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a new 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Click the Finish button.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.
    Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Mar 28, 2021
  3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Mar 28, 2021
  4. DTG1 Win User

cant change PIN on my user account on shared laptop

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

Thema:

cant change PIN on my user account on shared laptop

1. cant change PIN on my user account on shared laptop - Similar Threads - cant change PIN

2. Changing user profile account on laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing user profile account on laptop?: I suck at explaining things, so I hope this makes sense. My husband and I, for the last 3 years, shared a laptop. Not only did we share a laptop, but we also used the same user profile, which was logged into his Microsoft account. because we're married, we saw 0 reason to...
  3. Changing user profile account on laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing user profile account on laptop?: I suck at explaining things, so I hope this makes sense. My husband and I, for the last 3 years, shared a laptop. Not only did we share a laptop, but we also used the same user profile, which was logged into his Microsoft account. because we're married, we saw 0 reason to...
  4. I cant change my laptop pin

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I cant change my laptop pin: when i try to change my laptop pin the drop down says "this option is currently unavailable"how do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-change-my-laptop-pin/69391ff6-62a3-41e0-ad00-88c00b3246c4
  5. I cant change my laptop pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant change my laptop pin: when i try to change my laptop pin the drop down says "this option is currently unavailable"how do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-change-my-laptop-pin/69391ff6-62a3-41e0-ad00-88c00b3246c4
  6. I cant change my laptop pin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. cant change PIN

cant change PIN: I'm on an HP pavilion laptop with windows 10. I can't change the PIN. Change and Forgot PIN are unavailable. do i have to update to windows 11? how can i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-pin/95c8bcd2-7d13-4bb3-818a-5080a23951d5
  8. User Accounts / Shared Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Accounts / Shared Files: Hello, I work in a onsite department and one of are clients has a computer in one of their head employees office that they are also using as a server. On the server computer they have a folder on his C drive called Shared that other computers inside the network can access....
  9. Is my Admin user account "Shared"? Or Not? With Whom?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is my Admin user account "Shared"? Or Not? With Whom?: When I go to PC\Local Disk (C:)\USERS\Admin\Properties\Sharing tab, in the "Network File and Folder Sharing" box, there is a folder icon named, "admin Shared" (Network Path: \\Dell\Users\admin) Below that is a "SHARE" button. If "admin" is "Shared", why is there a "Share"...
  10. 2 laptops, same account, cant change pin on one laptop.

2 laptops, same account, cant change pin on one laptop.: Basically I have 2 laptops that use the same email/account I can change the PIN on one but not the other... I am using the same account for both laptops, I have also used my school email for both, but on my main laptop I can change the pin but on the other one it says "This...