Windows 10: Cant change product key?

Discus and support Cant change product key? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I got this answer from Microsoft Support. I was trying to activate a copy of Windows 10 on my sons PC , but for some reason it was coming up as an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by johnnybgood, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Wullail Win User

Cant change product key?

I got this answer from Microsoft Support.

I was trying to activate a copy of Windows 10 on my sons PC , but for some reason it was coming up as an invalid key (Even though he had a valid version of Windows 8.1 installed previously).

After talking to various support people I got passed up to a senior support person.

Currently , the ONLY way to activate free copies of windows 10 which are having issues getting the activation to work (for invalid key etc) is to go back to the previous OS you had activated , then re-install windows 10 upgrade.

They currently don't have the tools to 'fix' the activation issues manually , (Though the person said work was being done on the tools to allow this and it should be possible 'soon')

Wullail, Sep 6, 2015
  2. nachbar Win User

I had the same problem with a fresh install when I allowed Windows 10 to update itself before changing the product key. Going back to a fresh install of Windows 10 and THEN IMMEDIATELY going to Settings, Activation, Change Product Key allowed me to change the product key and activate.

nachbar, Sep 24, 2015
  3. GuyM Win User
    Type cmd in the search bar, then right click and 'Run as administrator'

In the terminal type:

slmgr.vbs /ipk KEY
    slmgr.vbs /ato

Where KEY is your legitimate Windows 10 key.

Best,

Guy

4. cereberus Win User

Cant change product key?

You have replied to a five month old post!

cereberus, Feb 3, 2016
  5. advaitha Win User
    Thank you man. This helped me.

advaitha, Jun 13, 2016
  6. lia53233 Win User
    In the search bar, enter "changepk.exe" and hit enter. The window appears.

lia53233, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cant change product key?

1. Cant change product key? - Similar Threads - Cant change product

2. Changing Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing Product Key: I recently bought a digital key for Windows 10 , before that I was using a KMS IIRC. Now whenever I do slmgr /dlv to check if the key is changed I see it's still says "Partial Product Key : 6MT6Y" which I've looked up and someone said that it's just a generic key used for...
  3. Changing Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Product Key: I recently bought a digital key for Windows 10 , before that I was using a KMS IIRC. Now whenever I do slmgr /dlv to check if the key is changed I see it's still says "Partial Product Key : 6MT6Y" which I've looked up and someone said that it's just a generic key used for...
  4. Changing Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. CHANGING PRODUCT KEY

in Windows 10 Customization
    CHANGING PRODUCT KEY: Hello, I have a almost stupid question... If I change my PC's product key, will I lose all of my personal information/apps? I'm currently using a product key that was given to my boyfriend for his university, but it constantly has me change my password and won't let me...
  6. cant change windows 10 product key

in Windows 10 Customization
    cant change windows 10 product key: I cant change my product key - [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-windows-10-product-key/a83606f2-60c4-47c6-93d7-bc9786e6f8ee
  7. Cant Delete Product Key

Cant Delete Product Key: [ATTACH]Hi all, I'm having trouble deleting my product key, why am I doing this? Because I accidentally bought an illegal license, and I always try to delete my product key by entering the code slmgr.vbs / upk in cmd, and when I restart, the license keeps coming back, is...
  8. change product key

change product key: i can't find the 25 digits to change the product key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-product-key/c1055548-6369-42ba-9073-fa109cd71145"
  9. Change Product Key

Change Product Key: II have a product key for windows pro. When I go into Settings to change product key from Home to PRO, It asks for Product Key which is filled in with X's and 0's. When I try to enter my product key it will not let me enter my key. As soon as I try to enter the first...
  10. Cant verify product key?

Cant verify product key?: I recently got a pre-owned desktop computer and i got a new hard drive in it but i cannot activate windows, i have entered my product key but every time i do i keep getting the same response "We couldn't verify the product key. Please check you installation media." I don't...