Windows 10: Can't change protocol association for magnet links to something else than Chrome

Discus and support Can't change protocol association for magnet links to something else than Chrome in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Poilaucul [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Poilaucul, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Can't change protocol association for magnet links to something else than Chrome

/u/Poilaucul, Oct 16, 2020

2. Can't change magnet protocol URI program

When going to default programs for protocols, it has google chrome set as the default program for these links. I want the default to be my torrent program, but the only option available is google chrome.

I've tried making an update here "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Magnet\shell\open\command" like some articles have suggested and put in my torrent client, but it does not fix the issue and chrome still stays the default protocol in settings.

bobsagetfullhou, Oct 16, 2020
  3. jrh-001 Win User
    Win10: magnet uri protocol missing

In "Choose default apps by Protocol", there is no "Magnet" protocol, and no action is taken when "magnet:" URI is entered or linked in the browser.

Description:

qBittorrent had been the default application for Magnet URIs however due to the Torch browser's poor install implementation, it asserts itself as the default for the magnet protocol even though told not to.

Due to the insane method that Windows10 uses to set defaults, qBittorrent isn't a valid "app" selection for changing from Torch to something else -- this is a serious, serious functionality flaw in Windows10, imho -- I had no choice but to uninstall the
    Torch browser, under the assumption that once it was out of the way, Windows would a) default back to qBittorrent or b) default back to an unselected handling method and I could assign qBittorrent through the popup dialog as I had done previously.

However, this was not the case.

• In the configuration section "Choose default apps by Protocol", the Magnet protocol is missing.
    • In a browser, using the "magnet:" protocol or clicking on a magnetic link produces
      no reaction. No choice dialog or other behavior.
    I surmise that the browser is handing this information off to the OS but the OS has forgotten what to do about it, so nothing happens. It feels like a registry entry is a bit confused and need to be reset/restored/reconstructed.

Really need a way to repair this; handling magnet uris by hand is surprisingly frustrating in very, very short order.

jrh-001, Oct 16, 2020
  4. Erdeslawe Win User

Can't change protocol association for magnet links to something else than Chrome

Windows 10 Disabled Magnet Links!?

Have you tried either reinstalling the software or checking the file association settings?

Erdeslawe, Oct 16, 2020
Thema:

Can't change protocol association for magnet links to something else than Chrome

1. Can't change protocol association for magnet links to something else than Chrome - Similar Threads - Can't change protocol

2. Cant't change MAGNET association in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant't change MAGNET association in windows 11: I have the exact same problem that this thread but the reg file isn't available anymorehttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-way-to-change-default-link-type-in-windows-11/ecab6146-b0c8-40fa-98f4-25946686cfd4Would you give me some help ?@Ranesh Srinivasan...
  3. Cant't change MAGNET association in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant't change MAGNET association in windows 11: I have the exact same problem that this thread but the reg file isn't available anymorehttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-way-to-change-default-link-type-in-windows-11/ecab6146-b0c8-40fa-98f4-25946686cfd4Would you give me some help ?@Ranesh Srinivasan...
  4. How can I change the default protocol handler for magnet links to non-app store program?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I change the default protocol handler for magnet links to non-app store program?: [ATTACH] It would seem that I cannot change the default handler for magnet protocol despite already have installed FreeDownloadManager Yes, I did reinstalled....
  5. Windows 10 magnet link problem with μTorrent on Google Chrome

Windows 10 magnet link problem with μTorrent on Google Chrome: Every time I open a magnet link in Google Chrome Windows 10 asks me which program to use when I've already set it to open with μTorrent. 146242
  6. Windows 10 magnet link problem with μTorrent on Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 magnet link problem with μTorrent on Google Chrome: Every time I open a magnet link in Google Chrome Windows 10 asks me which program to use when I've already set it to open with μTorrent. 146242
  7. Can't change magnet protocol URI program

Can't change magnet protocol URI program: When going to default programs for protocols, it has google chrome set as the default program for these links. I want the default to be my torrent program, but the only option available is google chrome. I've tried making an update here...
  8. Can't change magnet protocol URI program

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't change magnet protocol URI program: When going to default programs for protocols, it has google chrome set as the default program for these links. I want the default to be my torrent program, but the only option available is google chrome. I've tried making an update here...
  9. Win10: magnet uri protocol missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10: magnet uri protocol missing: In "Choose default apps by Protocol", there is no "Magnet" protocol, and no action is taken when "magnet:" URI is entered or linked in the browser. Description: qBittorrent had been the default application for Magnet URIs however due to the Torch browser's poor install...
  10. Not able to change default app for Magnet links

Not able to change default app for Magnet links: good day i noticed since going to 10 that clicking on magnet links does not open bittorrent. i have rerun windows and still the same problem. in cyberfox i fixed it easily enough, but for chrome and torch no love. i found a couple of things about registry entries but they did...