Windows 10: Can't change Read Only Setting for files on External Hard Drive

Discus and support Can't change Read Only Setting for files on External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello folks. I have Windows 10 and cannot change the "Read-only" setting for my files on my external hard drive. I've come across the issue because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AnthonyRuggieri1, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Can't change Read Only Setting for files on External Hard Drive

Hello folks.

I have Windows 10 and cannot change the "Read-only" setting for my files on my external hard drive.

I've come across the issue because I'm trying to edit music in iTunes.

Every time I unclick the Read-Only attributes in General Settings, it runs through all the files as if its making the changes but always reverts back.

It doesn't appear to be an Administrator log in issue. When I go to the advanced security settings, I have it set to "allow" and "everyone" for the folder and all sub-folders.

I tried this solution I found https://www.easeus.com/storage-media-recovery/fix-read-only-error-on-hard-drive.html and it didn't work. When I got to the attributes disk part, it showed that current read-only state was "No."

If anyone can help me it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:)

AnthonyRuggieri1, Aug 20, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Aug 20, 2019
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi,

Just to verify, did you mean, your back up files used to be on your external hard drive, but now it's no longer there? If this is true, kindly provide more answers to the questions below, so we can further assess the issue:

• When did the files start to disappear?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Did you make nay changes on the settings of your PC or hard drive prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to plug in your external drive?
    • Does your external drive shows that the space is consumed?

Please advise. We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Marco Gav Win User

Can't change Read Only Setting for files on External Hard Drive

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Can't change Read Only Setting for files on External Hard Drive

1. Can't change Read Only Setting for files on External Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Can't change Read

2. Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.: I can't change the file that the game Terraria uses for saving data. by that I mean something is blocking the write property of the files that store the world and player save data. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned by the error message that comes up whenever I try to...
  3. Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.: I can't change the file that the game Terraria uses for saving data. by that I mean something is blocking the write property of the files that store the world and player save data. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned by the error message that comes up whenever I try to...
  4. Something changing internal hard drive to read only...

in Windows 10 Support
    Something changing internal hard drive to read only...: Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1023) Hi all. Perhaps my google skills aren't good enough but I've found lots of posts on how to change the drive/volume attributes back to r/w but nothing on what might be changing the drive(s) to read-only in the first place. I...
  5. Can’t read external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t read external hard drive: Hey guys so i have an external hardrive that i use for my mac and has about 700gb of data. I need to transfer a 30gb file from my mac to windows with the external, but when i insert the drive into my pc, it gives the sound that a usb has been inserted but i can’t see the...
  6. Reading External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reading External Hard Drive: How do I open the files on my external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reading-external-hard-drive/54ea6c70-619c-40b0-bd81-d9778007ec97
  7. External Hard Drive Only Reads as "Local Disk"

External Hard Drive Only Reads as "Local Disk": Hello, I was able to fix one of my hard drives with a simple step, hopefully, I can fix another! I have a WD Easystore HDD that has a lot of good graphic design material I can't lose. However, when I plug it in, the File Folder freezes up, and Disk Management hasn't loaded...
  8. Anyone had this happen? External Hard Drive set to Read Only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone had this happen? External Hard Drive set to Read Only: [IMG] submitted by /u/sketchiegamer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g74yeb/anyone_had_this_happen_external_hard_drive_set_to/
  9. Can't change a file to read only

Can't change a file to read only: Hi, I was trying to set a file to read only but I keep getting an access is denied message, I've looked online for solutions but can't seem to find one that works. [ATTACH] This is the message I keep receiving, my account is set to administrator so not really sure what to...
  10. Unable to read external Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to read external Hard Drive: I have Windows 10. I am trying to retrieve data from a Western Digital hard drive which has worked on this system in the past. I now find that the system is unable to recognise the drive and I get a message "incorrect parameter" Some help would be apreciated. Regards...