Windows 10: Cant change resolution, always stuck in native

Discus and support Cant change resolution, always stuck in native in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Problem started randomly last week. i have my desktop hooked up via HDMI to my 4K Samsung TV, This is my primary (only) display. When i try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ruznek, Dec 23, 2020.

1. /u/ruznek Win User

Cant change resolution, always stuck in native

Problem started randomly last week.

i have my desktop hooked up via HDMI to my 4K Samsung TV,

This is my primary (only) display.

When i try to change the resolution to anything else, my screen does not go black for a second like it used to when switching resolution. Desktop just resizes says it is at new resolution, but when i check on my tv, it is still in same native resolution.

This applies to windows or any other game i want to play, i cant change the resolution what so ever.

The only way to change it in windows is to go to

display settings ,

advanced display settings.

display adapter properties for display 1

list all modes

then select resolution and it will switch to it.

After doing so, when i run any game, it will stay in that previously selected resolution regardless of selected resolution in game settings. I still cant control my resolution in game.

At this point i also noticed that my desktop resolution is different from active signal resolution under my advanced display settings. i can only make them match via 'list all modes' option.

I initially thought this would be a display driver problem, i re-installed my windows twice on a freshly formatted hard drive.

Problem still here.

I even swapped my graphics card for a different one with same effect.

tried rolling back display drivers to old ones from few months ago, same problem.

I'm 90% convinced there had to be a windows update that messed things up for me.

Like i said, it just happened over night a week or two ago.

Also i tried different TV's and even a small 1080 monitor, same problem.

Running Ryzen7 2700

RTX 2070 / 3080 (upgraded today)

msi mpg x570 gaming plus

On windows 10

submitted by /u/ruznek
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ruznek, Dec 23, 2020

2. Help! Windows 10 changed my resolution and can't see anything!!

Hi Etan,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Monitors can support resolutions that are lower than their native resolutions, but text won't look as sharp and the display might be small, centered on the screen, edged with black, or stretched. It is recommended to set the screen resolution of the display
    to the (Recommended) native resolution to get the best display on your monitor. Your screen resolution needs to be at least
    1024x768 to have multiple windows and apps on your screen at the same time.

Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to set the Display Resolution on your monitor to the recommended level. Follow the below steps

• Open the Start menu and type Settings in the search bar.
    • Click on System and select Display.
    • Make sure that you have set the Change the size of the text, apps and other items to 100%
      recommended.
    • Click on Advanced display settings.
    • Select the monitor and make sure that you have selected Resolution
      to 1920*1080 Recommended.
    If the issue still persists, then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I suggest you to update the display adapter then try to change the screen resolution.

Follow the steps given below to uninstall and reinstall the display drivers.  

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Search for Display Adapters and expand it.
    • Right click on the Display Adapters and select Uninstall.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer to download the latest display adapters.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Dec 23, 2020
  3. wrong native resolution

After i formatted pc, i have wrong native resolution in win 10. before formatting everything is good. I have already updated drivers too. I have done everything i could already but nothing works. native resolution is stuck in 1024 x 768 when its supposed to be 1366 x 768

win 10 user, Dec 23, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Change resolution without seeing

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below. Check if it helps.

• Press Windows key on the keyboard
    • Click on settings
    • Go to Display
    • Click on Advance display settings
    • Change the resolution (1280x1024 recommended)

Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.

To enter into low-resolution mode
    in Windows 10 in change the settings in it, follow the steps given below.

• Restart your PC.
    • Press Shift + F8 before the Windows logo appears.
    • Click See Advanced Repair Options.
    • Click Troubleshoot.
    • Click Advanced Options.
    • Click Windows Startup Settings.
    • Click Restart.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Cant change resolution, always stuck in native - Similar Threads - Cant change resolution

2. Cant change resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant change resolution: My pc suddenly ran into errorhardware error something like that and then a update screen. My pc opened and my scale is suddenly recommended to 150%it was recommended to 125% before this happend then I couldnt change my resolution, brightness, and refresh rate. Already ran a...
  3. Native Resolution Screen Resolution Changed by it self>,<"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Native Resolution Screen Resolution Changed by it self>,<": Hello, today I have a small problem but it makes me crazy I have searched everywhere and can find a solution to it. my laptop Latitude E7470 i5 6th Gen. Screen resolution was 1980 x 1080 recommended and it was fine, but I have been installing Ubuntu for a short time and...
  4. Native Resolution Screen Resolution Changed by it self>,<"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Native Resolution Screen Resolution Changed by it self>,<": Hello, today I have a small problem but it makes me crazy I have searched everywhere and can find a solution to it. my laptop Latitude E7470 i5 6th Gen. Screen resolution was 1980 x 1080 recommended and it was fine, but I have been installing Ubuntu for a short time and...
  5. Native Resolution Screen Resolution Changed by it self>,<"

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Windows native resolution stuck on the wrong resoultion

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows native resolution stuck on the wrong resoultion: As you can see, the native resolution is at 1680x1080. I can switch to 1920x1080 but when I play games I can never play in fullscreen mode because it just changes to 1680x1080, and if you have ever played games before you know that fullscreen mode is the best option to get...
  7. Windows native resolution stuck on the wrong resoultion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows native resolution stuck on the wrong resoultion: As you can see, the native resolution is at 1680x1080. I can switch to 1920x1080 but when I play games I can never play in fullscreen mode because it just changes to 1680x1080, and if you have ever played games before you know that fullscreen mode is the best option to get...
  8. Windows native resolution stuck on the wrong resoultion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Can't change resolution, stuck in native 3840x2160

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't change resolution, stuck in native 3840x2160: Problem started randomly last week. i have my desktop hooked up via HDMI to my 4K Samsung TV, This is my primary only display. When i try to change the resolution to anything else, my screen does not go black for a second like it used to when switching resolution....
  10. Cant Change Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cant Change Resolution: I Cant Change my Resolution From 800 x 600 i cant chnage to 1920 x1080 that kinda res. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-resolution/de6a09f9-8b76-47bb-bdf1-d36dddb2ed40