Windows 10: Can't change Security settings on a local HDD connected to my Router via USB

Discus and support Can't change Security settings on a local HDD connected to my Router via USB in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I connected a HDD to my router via USB3, after enabling file sharing and creating a new path to it on my machine, the drive can be accessed with no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/HefJef64, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Can't change Security settings on a local HDD connected to my Router via USB

I connected a HDD to my router via USB3, after enabling file sharing and creating a new path to it on my machine, the drive can be accessed with no issues, but I cannot change the security settings located at [DrivePath]/Properties/Security/Edit/

If I try to edit ANY of the security settings I get this error window:

"The application cannot open the dialogue window because it cannot determine if the computer named " /u/HefJef64
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/HefJef64, Jun 28, 2020
  2. JuJuGoGo Win User

Can't connect to router via Wi-Fi

I am running Windows 10 and can't connect to my router via Wi-Fi from my laptop. There is nothing wrong with the router as I can connect to it with any other device just fine. I'm currently connected to it via Ethernet and it works just fine, though I
    have a very short cord. The wireless connection says unidentified connection when I move my cursor over the internet logo (in addition to my wired connection) and when I look at from the list of wireless connections it says the name of my router and right
    under "No internet, secured.". Might I also add that it was working for a bit. It also shows the little ! in a yellow triangle in the corner of the wireless logo.

JuJuGoGo, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Beerlord Win User
    Can't connect to my router

Tried a straight cable from pc to router with no luck. Read suggestions for 2 hours and nothing has changed. My fear of resetting is if it still won't let me get into the router, how can I make the changes needed for my home network? So for now, I'm not doing that as everything is working but direct router connection.

Beerlord, Jun 28, 2020
  4. silkstone Win User

Can't change Security settings on a local HDD connected to my Router via USB

Router behind a router = more secure?

Thanks.

So it is more secure from both exploits and brute force to have router > Router > Computers. An attacker would have to find exploits in both routers before gaining access to a network?

I'm not that worried, I just wanted to know the theory as I seem to get conflicting information. I had always assumed that having a router behind a router would be better security-wise.

I am pretty sure that my router would be on the list of those compromised in Vietnam by malware. The malware only changed the primary DNS for the router, so I would still not be immune to this kind of attack if someone gained access to my internet facing router, but it got me thinking more about security.

silkstone, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Can't change Security settings on a local HDD connected to my Router via USB

1. Can't change Security settings on a local HDD connected to my Router via USB - Similar Threads - Can't change Security

2. Downloading to Router Connected HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading to Router Connected HDD: I have a HDD connected to an Asus DSL-AC68U router, I can view the files on the HDD on my laptop and all my media players. What I can’t do is download or copy/paste or delete files on it through my laptop. It’s an old laptop with Windows 8.1. Any ideas?...
  3. Downloading to Router Connected HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloading to Router Connected HDD: I have a HDD connected to an Asus DSL-AC68U router, I can view the files on the HDD on my laptop and all my media players. What I can’t do is download or copy/paste or delete files on it through my laptop. It’s an old laptop with Windows 8.1. Any ideas?...
  4. Can't connect via windows settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't connect via windows settings: I recently installed a fresh new Windows 10. Downloaded drivers, updated to latest windows 10, all set.But I have a problem, I cannot sign in in my microsoft account via windows settings. Got stuck on "Just a moment"....
  5. Can't connect via windows settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't connect via windows settings: I recently installed a fresh new Windows 10. Downloaded drivers, updated to latest windows 10, all set.But I have a problem, I cannot sign in in my microsoft account via windows settings. Got stuck on "Just a moment"....
  6. Cannot delete file on USB HDD connected to router

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete file on USB HDD connected to router: Windows 10, Ver 20H2 I have a HDD used for backup purposes connected to my Asus RT-N66U router. There are a few files/folders which I want to delete but I "...need permission to perform this action." Apparently, I "...require permission from RT-N66U-5088\admin to make...
  7. settings for connecting router

in Windows 10 Customization
    settings for connecting router: each time trying to connect router through cable modem i lose internet, new router but internet does not get through it . also recently upgraded to win 10,is there some setting to change? have tried all trouble shoot, please anyone, have been battleing this for long time,...
  8. Can't connect to my router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to my router: Everything seems to work fine with my router. Internet, email, wifi etc. all are working but today I noticed I can't connect to my router using 192.168.1.1 I check ipconfig and that is the gateway and what I've always used. I've changed nothing since last week when it was...
  9. Can't connect to my router

Can't connect to my router: Everything seems to work fine with my router. Internet, email, wifi etc. all are working but today I noticed I can't connect to my router using 192.168.1.1 I check ipconfig and that is the gateway and what I've always used. I've changed nothing since last week when it was...
  10. Can't See 1st Router's USB When Connected to 2nd Router

Can't See 1st Router's USB When Connected to 2nd Router: First, here is my connection: I have 2 routers. The 1st one is from provider, and has USB Samba Share plugged. This router is the main one with IP 192.168.1.1. The 2nd one is in AP Mode, DHCP disabled. The IP is 192.168.1.150. Now, I have 3 PCs. 1 PC connected to the...