Windows 10: Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected"

Discus and support Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected" in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; hi I have a problem, my SSD Drive D: suddenly can't be edited, I can't delete files, add folders, I can only access folders that are already there.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Farhan Taufiqul Ihsan, May 26, 2022.

1. Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected"

hi I have a problem, my SSD Drive D: suddenly can't be edited, I can't delete files, add folders, I can only access folders that are already there. I've tried several solutions on google but they haven't worked. the solution i tried like "diskpart -> list disk -> select disk -> attributes disk clear readonly" i have also tried chkdsk but it doesn't work either. not only that I have also done a solution to turn off write protected in the registry. when I checked my disk using file explorer by doing "right click on disk -> properties -> tools -> error checking " there I found

:)

Farhan Taufiqul Ihsan, May 26, 2022

2. hard drive not accessible stating "The media is write protected."

Hello,

I sent an external hard drive to a tape backup company.

The company stated that the drive is not accessible with the error message, "The media is write protected."

Any suggestions?

williamj

williamj78, May 26, 2022
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, May 26, 2022
  4. Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected"

Gettign error "device is write protected" for External Hard drive in Windows 10

Hello Neil,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

Are you getting the same error when you access the External Hard drive on another computers?

When you see the message "Device is Write Protected", then it indicates that you have limited set of privileges for performing operation on the Hard disk. In simple, you're not allowed to write the drive, apart from reading it. This because the drive is
    write-protected. Suggest you to try with the below steps and check it they help you.

1. Right-click on Start button and select Command Prompt(Admin).

2. Type diskpart and press Enter.

3. Now type list volume and press Enter. Now see the volume number the external drive.

4. Then type select volume #, where # is the number of the drive which is showing "write-protected" error. Example,
    select volume 3.

5. Type attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter.

• Executing the above command line will reset the Hard drive USB's properties by clearing the Read-Only behavior, so that it is no longer read-only.
    6. Type exit and press Enter. Now check if it allows you do access the drive for writing the content.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 26, 2022
Thema:

Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected"

1. Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected" - Similar Threads - Cant change Drive

2. Drive can be formatted and read-only = no, but always getting "The media is write-protected".

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive can be formatted and read-only = no, but always getting "The media is write-protected".: I have a computer with multiple PCIe SSD drives attached, all the same model, one for each partition. The C: partition, hosting windows 10, is fine, the other suddenly behave as if the were read-only, so I can only read the content, but I'm unable to write anything. The funny...
  3. Drive can be formatted and read-only = no, but always getting "The media is write-protected".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive can be formatted and read-only = no, but always getting "The media is write-protected".: I have a computer with multiple PCIe SSD drives attached, all the same model, one for each partition. The C: partition, hosting windows 10, is fine, the other suddenly behave as if the were read-only, so I can only read the content, but I'm unable to write anything. The funny...
  4. Drive can be formatted and read-only = no, but always getting "The media is write-protected".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected"

Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected": hi I have a problem, my SSD Drive D: suddenly can't be edited, I can't delete files, add folders, I can only access folders that are already there. I've tried several solutions on google but they haven't worked. the solution i tried like "diskpart -> list disk -> select disk...
  6. The media is write-protected

The media is write-protected: Good morning, I have issues removing write-protection from my USB flash drive. It has no hardware switch for enabling/disabling write-protection, • diskpart • list disk• sel disk 2• attrbites disk• Current Read-only State : Yes• attributes disk clear readonly reports "Disk...
  7. this media is write protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    this media is write protected: I tried accessing the photos and I got the this media is write protected error and I looked up how to fix it and did it but it still says this media is write protected. The photos aren't from another device....
  8. this media is write protected

this media is write protected: I tried accessing the photos and I got the this media is write protected error and I looked up how to fix it and did it but it still says this media is write protected. The photos aren't from another device....
  9. "Media is write protected"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Media is write protected": I was always able to click on an icon and view a photo on my PC. Now this message pops up. Please help. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-is-write-protected/aff97eae-a941-4807-8205-6caea7aea58a"
  10. The media is write protected.

The media is write protected.: I keep getting a strange error when I try to open PNG files in Photos, "The media is write protected." None of the files are read only, and I can edit them in any way I want, it only pops up when I try to open them in Photos. Any way to fix this?...