Windows 10: Can't change user folder name from Admin account.

Discus and support Can't change user folder name from Admin account. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am trying to change my user folder name which I can see in terminal / command prompt on windows. User name has been successfully change. only the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Glass_Maintenance_58, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Can't change user folder name from Admin account.

I am trying to change my user folder name which I can see in terminal / command prompt on windows. User name has been successfully change. only the actual folder rename is not happening. did changed the Profile Image Path but then, when I try to login, I am asked to lockout as its not able to find the folder.

When trying to rename the folder as per Profile Image Path, it says can't rename this folder.

Admin account have full access and permissions so what is going wrong on my side. I also cleaned the thumbnails and all to check it is working or not. no luck there.

below video process is what I followed : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5N2aaiToiQ

submitted by /u/Glass_Maintenance_58
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Glass_Maintenance_58, Dec 12, 2020
  2. Ryan_2013 Win User

Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, Dec 12, 2020
  3. User Account Folder Name

Here's a workaround to rename the user account folder:

• Unlink your Microsoft Account from your Windows 10 device which will result for your account to be converted as a Local account.
    • Create a new Local account, name it using your preferred account and folder name then set it as Administrator.
    • Sign in to your Windows 10 device using the newly created local admin account.
    • Link your Microsoft Account to the newly created local admin account.

After doing the steps above, check if this resolves your concern. If so, migrate all your files from the old account to the new user account and delete the previous one.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gerdimae Sal, Dec 12, 2020
  4. C0zzie Win User

Can't change user folder name from Admin account.

How to change admin user account name?

Ah so just ignore the 'Brink' and use the 'Brink2' as the example

And step 1 and 2, I was confused at that part also.
    For example, my user account is called for e.g 'wizzle'
    If I want to change the name to 'wizzle2', and by following steps 1 and 2;
    -I sign out of my MS account (step 1)...and then sign in?

I understand the steps 3 onwards but steps 1 and 2 with the sign out/in was confusing :?

C0zzie, Dec 12, 2020
Thema:

Can't change user folder name from Admin account.

1. Can't change user folder name from Admin account. - Similar Threads - Can't change user

2. Change my admin user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change my admin user folder name: I already have an admin account on this PC named "sam" but my folder is named samfl the first 5 letters in my email. I want the name of that folder to be sam. I have 2 other W10 PC's with exactly that scenario. I don't know why this is so hard but I already had to re-install...
  3. How to change Admin account user name

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to change Admin account user name: I am the Admin. How do I change my username that windows 10 displays? It is showing my email address https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-admin-account-user-name/1dc3fef3-7784-40a2-9016-c3f65c322e61
  4. How to change Admin account user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change Admin account user name: I am the Admin. How do I change my username that windows 10 displays? It is showing my email address https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-admin-account-user-name/1dc3fef3-7784-40a2-9016-c3f65c322e61
  5. How to change Admin account user name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Microsoft changed my admin User folder name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft changed my admin User folder name: I recently installed a new OS C: hard drive. First you need to know that around a year ago, I changed the email account connected to my Microsoft account. Obviously that means a different email address. Now back to my issue. When you do a fresh install Microsoft create a...
  7. change admin user name

change admin user name: how do i change my admin user name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-admin-user-name/885ba043-3624-4cd3-a6ce-ca4611f14424
  8. Change user name and user folder name

Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  9. How to change admin user account name?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change admin user account name?: I am installing the 'Android sdk' software, however when I try select the 'SDK' path, it says something like 'android sdk should not contain whitespace'. I am wondering how I would change my name so it has no space so I can get my issue fixed 92477
  10. User Account changed from Admin to Guest

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account changed from Admin to Guest: Dear people of the Tenforums, I could use your advice. On Saturday I decided to give new Windows 10 (it picked Home Edition by itself) a try. Previous version was Windows 7. After a flawless install I have seen that something on my C: partition is using a lot of...