Windows 10: Can't change when computer sleeps

Discus and support Can't change when computer sleeps in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change when the computer sleeps -> Put the computer to sleep So I change from the default 2 hours to Never. Save... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DoItJust, Oct 4, 2015.

1. DoItJust Win User

Can't change when computer sleeps

Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change when the computer sleeps -> Put the computer to sleep
    So I change from the default 2 hours to Never.
    Save changes and after two hours of inactivity the puter goes to sleep, like a baby.
    When I wake it up and check the setting it's returned to the default 2 hours.
    I've also tried modifying the Power Plan with the same result
    Running Win10 Pro x64

:)

DoItJust, Oct 4, 2015

2. Computer wakes up from sleep with calendar set to incorrect future date.

This is my exact situation: after the update the month changes to the future when I wake up the PC. If I reboot this doesn't happen. So I can't put the computer to sleep.

MaryMorimando, Oct 4, 2015
  3. Joan Pin Win User
    Change when the PC sleeps

Hi Jennifer,

The Sleep Mode feature in Windows 10 allows you to use your device immediately if it's in idle. Based on the information that you've provided, we'd like to gather additional information. Please answer the following:

• When did the issue start?
    • Did you install any recent updates prior to the issue?
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Joan Pin, Oct 4, 2015
  4. Can't change when computer sleeps

This is how mine is hope this helps

Can't change when computer sleeps [​IMG]

My laptop never sleeps has I have it set up this way

hTconeM9user, Oct 5, 2015
  5. DoItJust Win User
    I'm so happy for you but I don't understand how this is supposed to help me. Unless you want to encourage me with the thought that it works as it should for some lucky *******s *sarc

DoItJust, Oct 5, 2015
  6. Gerard Win User
    I have the same problem, I just opened a thread in the Customization forum.

The sleep timings depend on the "plan" you select: in High Performance, default is Never, but in Normal plan it's 2 hours. That explains differences between the 2 previous posts.

But that confirms that sleep timings can't be changed from default!

Gerard, Oct 8, 2015
  7. DoItJust Win User
    Not the whole truth; before posting I tried:
    1. Changing the default 2 hrs -> Never in the Balanced plan from the view shown in the pic above. After two hours of inactivity the computer went to sleep and after waking it and checking the setting it was returned to two hours.
    2. Doing the same but this time change the setting in the actual plan (Advanced settings and so on) Result was the same as in case no. 1
    3. Change from Balanced to High Performance. Computer went to sleep after two hours and after waking it and checking the Power Plan was returned to Balanced (with two hrs until sleep)

So, the sleep timings can't be changed from default AND the recommended powerplan can't be changed from Balanced.

DoItJust, Oct 8, 2015
  8. Gerard Win User

You are right,
    I just woke up my computer, which is still theoretically in High Performance mode, but the sleep timeout has indeed returned to 2 hrs.
    It seems that the whole W10 powerplan system is buggy. I don't believe that some external cause like a faulty driver could cause what we observe.

Gerard, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't change when computer sleeps - Similar Threads - Can't change computer

2. Taskbar changes size when computer wakes up from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar changes size when computer wakes up from sleep: My taskbar is 3 rows so I can see all my apps and tabs and shortcuts. When the computer wakes up from sleep, it goes to 1 row wide, and I have to reset it. I have it set to "lock the taskbar" and "use small taskbar buttons" is off. It used to work fine and stay locked at 3...
  3. Taskbar changes size when computer wakes up from sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar changes size when computer wakes up from sleep: My taskbar is 3 rows so I can see all my apps and tabs and shortcuts. When the computer wakes up from sleep, it goes to 1 row wide, and I have to reset it. I have it set to "lock the taskbar" and "use small taskbar buttons" is off. It used to work fine and stay locked at 3...
  4. Taskbar changes size when computer wakes up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. My computer will not sleep when it is supposed to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My computer will not sleep when it is supposed to sleep: I have updated my monitor and network adaptorsI have updated my motherboard bios, my windows update latest version as of Tuesday, my drivers, my undergarmentsI have turned off Wake On Lan magic bullet on the network adaptorI have turned off allow waketimersI have turned off...
  6. Background changes after computer sleeps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Background changes after computer sleeps: I have a dual monitor set up and after I wake my computer from sleep, the second monitor changes background to the same picture as the main monitor. However this only happens when the computer sleeps, not when I reboot the computer. I can easily change it back to the original...
  7. Computer goes to sleep when closing lid when changed options

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer goes to sleep when closing lid when changed options: I changed the Power Plan so that my computer will never sleep when it is charging. I also made so it won’t sleep or shutdown when lid is closed. However, when i slowly close lid to see if screen stays on, it turns off. I even went to registry editor and changed these settings...
  8. The computer can't sleep

The computer can't sleep: The computer can't sleep automatically when it reaches the set time. Only when the update orchestrator service usosvc is disabled can the computer sleep normally. And the service will automatically start the next time it is started. 18363.418 is normal, as is the case with...
  9. Can't change Sleep Mode settings

Can't change Sleep Mode settings: I have windows 10 on my desktop. In Power and sleep settings no matter what i do, it keeps resetting every evening back to sleep after 1min. I have changed reg settings and made custom power settings, but nothing works for more than a day or two. Getting very tiresome!...
  10. Can't get past sign in page when computer is sleeping

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get past sign in page when computer is sleeping: Following the last updates I can no longer get my computer to wake up without shutting it off and restarting it. Why? Thank you so much you folks are so helpful to a Nana that knows so little about computers. 20159