Windows 10: Can't change which app is assigned to a file type.

Discus and support Can't change which app is assigned to a file type. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to change a file type associated with an extension. When I click on the "Change" line in "File Explorer Options" all I get s a blue window... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JeffreyPimper, May 7, 2019.

1. Can't change which app is assigned to a file type.

I'm trying to change a file type associated with an extension. When I click on the "Change" line in "File Explorer Options" all I get s a blue window with a white gear symbol instead of the file type list. What am I doing wrong?

:)

JeffreyPimper, May 7, 2019
  2. MMO
    mmo Win User

W10's brain damaged way to assign apps <-> file types

Unfortunately, none of the methods described in the tutorial worked:

Method 1 & 7: I don't want to reset all file types! It took me already long enough to assign a couple of types that had no defaults. Furthermore, my wife hates Edge as browser, so assigning it to handle all its possible file types is no option here.

Method 2. The "Open with..."-approach does not work either. Edge is not listed here.

Method 3 & 4: There is only that dreaded "Look for an app in the store" and no "Look for another app on this PC" option in the file type dialog (although for Edge that probably wouldn't work anyway, since there is no "edge.exe" to assign here as it is a "modern app". ||-(

Method 5: There is no protocol involved here. We are dealing with local files here.

Method 6: The set defaults by app method does not work either. For some strange reason on my Surface, "epub" is one of the listed file types for Edge, but on my wife's computer "epub" is missing from fhat list. And there seems no way to edit this list of file types. :-(

Method 8: Edge is not listed as possible application. And one can not assign it using "Other app"...

I guess the root of the problem is, that Edge - at least on this system - is not listed as possible handler for epub files. Guess my next action will be to dive into the registry...

3. How to remove a default file association app from a file type in Windows 10 - set to "no default app" associated

Hi Goa,

When you selected a certain program in “Open With” there is no option to revert this change. Since DLL files are independent, there is no other program than you can replace the default program with it.
    To help you out with your concerns with default programs, we'd like to ask you some questions:

• What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experienced this issue?
    • What are the workarounds you have done so far?
    • Have you assigned Excel as a default program for DLL files? We would like to confirm this.

You can navigate this by following the steps on this link:
    Change default programs in Windows 10
    . Once there, click
    Open Default apps.
    Then, click Choose default apps by file type.
    Look for the DLL file, see if you can remove the assigned program in the DLL format.

Your response will be much appreciated.

Johann Eva, May 7, 2019
  4. Can't change which app is assigned to a file type.

App to open .c6e0ec and .e8d549184 files

Hi Hitkary,

It seems that there is no default app set to open these kind of files. Can you still recall the type of app or program that opens this kind of file?

For us to isolate this issue, we suggest assigning a default app or program to open it. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings and click System.
    • Click Default apps.
    • At the bottom, click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Scroll down and look for the .e8d549184 file.
    • Once found, click the + sign on the right and select the app you want to use.

Once you've successfully set the default app, try opening the file again and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 7, 2019
Thema:

Can't change which app is assigned to a file type.

1. Can't change which app is assigned to a file type. - Similar Threads - Can't change app

2. File type assigned by Paint 3d

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File type assigned by Paint 3d: I am using Windows 11 and have many images on my computer which have been edited using paint 3d. All of these files are of file type "Paint 3d .jpg" rather than just ".jpg".Recently I have tried searching for duplicate copies of these files on my computer but whilst the...
  3. File type assigned by Paint 3d

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File type assigned by Paint 3d: I am using Windows 11 and have many images on my computer which have been edited using paint 3d. All of these files are of file type "Paint 3d .jpg" rather than just ".jpg".Recently I have tried searching for duplicate copies of these files on my computer but whilst the...
  4. Can't change which drive apps are installed on

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change which drive apps are installed on: Every time I try to change this in the settings, it gives me the error code 0x80070005, which I've gone through every thread to try and fix, and I still am getting the error. Please, someone, give me a fix....
  5. How to change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change default app for file type: I'm trying to change app that handles .jpg file types on my system from default "photos" to Windows Media player(just because I like better it looks:)) and despite fact that WMP is installed and handles other file types, I still can't choose it from the windows default app...
  6. Change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change default app for file type: I want an .sb3 file to download to Google Chrome but it's downloading to Opera. When I try to change the default app for that file the only option is Opera. Any ideas what to do?...
  7. Unable to change default app by file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change default app by file type: I use a genealogical program with file extension of GED, but MS refuses to let me use Roots Magic as the default app to open the GED files. I have done all methods shown here, and the Windows somehow associates GED files with Photoshop which won't open them as it is the...
  8. File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?

File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?: I think I'll need a third-party app to do this, or back in the day we had custom super tweaks to windows that could do these things but... explained hopefully as simply as possible; In File Explorer I would love to have a way it knows what type of items are within that...
  9. I can't change the default app for a type

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't change the default app for a type: I can't change the default app of type .hdl files from notepad++ to visual studio code (not the one from the store, and I have no intends of downloading that one) using settings. I have tried the DISM system repair and it didn't help. I cannot change the default apps from the...
  10. W10's brain damaged way to assign apps <-> file types

W10's brain damaged way to assign apps <-> file types: One of the biggest annoyances of Windows 10 is the absolutely brain damaged way to assign file types to applications. For most file types if one right clicks the right hand side the only option is the already assigned application or "Look for an app in the store". On my...