Windows 10: Can't change Windows Store install location because of old WindowsApps folder on the drive.

Discus and support Can't change Windows Store install location because of old WindowsApps folder on the drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I've had this issue with the WindowsApp folder, when trying to change location or move installed apps from my C: drive to my E: drive I get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by xCaesars Wrathx, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Can't change Windows Store install location because of old WindowsApps folder on the drive.

So I've had this issue with the WindowsApp folder, when trying to change location or move installed apps from my C: drive to my E: drive I get the following.

Can't change Windows Store install location because of old WindowsApps folder on the drive. 00b875db-4a4d-47b9-91ab-762540ece342?upload=true.png

I click YES to continue,

Can't change Windows Store install location because of old WindowsApps folder on the drive. b20b4681-fdb1-476b-89c1-7eb96d211624?upload=true.png

I have searched around and found the following:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-because/b2ff9bdc-4c27-42a2-a4db-a0f7264ffd5f

I have successfully followed the steps layed out in the link above and have been able to delete said folder from my E: drive, however after a restart I am still getting the above pop ups when trying to change install location or moving apps games to chosen drive.

Can you guys help me figure this out please.

Thanks.

:)

xCaesars Wrathx, Oct 9, 2020

2. Can't change Windows Store install location because of old WindowsApps folder on the drive.

I'm attempting to change my default download location for Windows Store to my F: drive because it's a 2 TB drive, but I can't because there's an old WindowsApp folder on there from a previous Windows install that refuses to be deleted.

When I attempt to change the download location, I first get this message:

Can't change Windows Store install location because of old WindowsApps folder on the drive. 672dbbf9-7220-43c7-97be-1b5d308b9c6a?upload=true.png

When I click Yes, I'm then greeted by this message:

Can't change Windows Store install location because of old WindowsApps folder on the drive. 461e3d48-18d5-487b-839e-075b07b210fa?upload=true.png

I've attempted to manually give myself permission of the folder in order to delete it, but I still get an error saying that I need permission from (computer name)/brian.

This is particularly frustrating because I just bought Resident Evil 7 Gold Edition today and was able to install the base game and one of the DLCs on F:, but the other 2 DLCs gave me an error message saying that they must be installed on the system drive.

There really needs to be some kind of tool that can be used to force delete WindowsApp folders. I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?

blackroseMDOne, Oct 9, 2020
  3. shanafan Win User
    Windows Store still using old storage location - and a second question too about the store in general

I followed the steps outlined to change the default install location for apps from the store, and I set it to my C: drive.

The prior location was my D: drive, but even after changing the setting, and resetting the Windows Store, I still see folders pop in the D: under the WindowsApps folder with timestamps that occurred AFTER my location change.

I went into the registry based on a Google search, and the registry shows C: drive as the right location. Any ideas why the store is still using the old location?

I found some other guides online to fully reset and even re-install the store, so I might try that, but just curious if anyone else has ideas.

ALSO, a second question.. when I look at the folders that are sitting in the WindowsApps folder, I see ones that say Facebook, and Twitter, etc. I have not installed these apps from the store, so any idea why I see folders for them?

Thanks!

shanafan, Oct 9, 2020
  4. Jordandr Win User

Can't change Windows Store install location because of old WindowsApps folder on the drive.

Cannot delete old WindowsApps folder from transferred D drive

I transferred a D drive with an old WindowsApps folder used for Xbox Game Pass to a new computer. When I tried to put the D drive as the default save location it gives me error code 0x80070005.

I was able to rename the old folder to "Old WindowsApps" so that the computer could place a new default "WindowsApps" save folder in my D drive.

I've already:

1. Made sure my time zone is correct
    2. Tried to delete in Safe Mode
    3. Made sure I am admin in general (2nd screenshot)
    4. Set myself as admin of folder and all subfolders (1st screenshot)
    5. Reset the Windows store page

I already have a new WindowsApps folder for Xbox games, how do I delete the old one?

Can't change Windows Store install location because of old WindowsApps folder on the drive. f7ae0e94-9967-4052-923d-0dff48a40e3b?upload=true.png

Can't change Windows Store install location because of old WindowsApps folder on the drive. ea87999f-839b-4e9b-aedb-57aeb42a9cfe?upload=true.png

Jordandr, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

Can't change Windows Store install location because of old WindowsApps folder on the drive.

1. Can't change Windows Store install location because of old WindowsApps folder on the drive. - Similar Threads - Can't change Store

2. How to change install location to a specific folder on Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change install location to a specific folder on Microsoft Store: I wish to change the default install location for apps/games to a specfic folder on my C: drive because of how I set up my partitions. I have a second internal ssd, and it is mounted onto C:\Games. when going to settings to try and change it, it just says the C: drive, and...
  3. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  4. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  5. Deleting old windowsapps folder

6. Cannot delete folders located inside old WindowsApps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete folders located inside old WindowsApps: Hi! I recently updated from Windows 10 to 11 and I have slight issue. While installing Windows 11, I formatted my main drive but I left out my other drive. I had games from Xbox App on my both drives and I deleted them before upgrade. So now I left out with folder on my other...
  7. Cannot delete folders located inside old WindowsApps

Cannot delete folders located inside old WindowsApps: Hi! I recently updated from Windows 10 to 11 and I have slight issue. While installing Windows 11, I formatted my main drive but I left out my other drive. I had games from Xbox App on my both drives and I deleted them before upgrade. So now I left out with folder on my other...
  8. WindowsApp Folder on F drive can not be set a app installation location.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    WindowsApp Folder on F drive can not be set a app installation location.: When I try to set my F drive as the default install location for apps, I get an error saying "This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other apps must first be deleted. Do you want to continue?" After clicking Yes I get a new error saying "The operation...
  9. Change WindowsApps Install location to a specific folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change WindowsApps Install location to a specific folder: Hi guys, I was wondering if there's any way to change the install location to a specific folder and not just to a different drive? I changed the install location for WindowsApps from the default one to a different hard drive but since I have a specific folder structure set...
  10. Can't change documents folder location because "there is a folder in same location that...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change documents folder location because "there is a folder in same location that...: Hello. I reinstalled Windows and want to redirect my Documents and Pictures folder to be in their own folder on my HDD instead of on my C drive in Properties >Location since my C drive is a smaller SSD. It worked fine for my music, videos, and downloads. However, documents...