Windows 10: Can't choose default app for protocol from PC

Discus and support Can't choose default app for protocol from PC in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I try to set utorrent as default app for magnet links. "Settings" though offers the current default, Torch, or to buy from the app store only, no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Georgey, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Georgey Win User

Can't choose default app for protocol from PC

Hi,

I try to set utorrent as default app for magnet links. "Settings" though offers the current default, Torch, or to buy from the app store only, no option to choose from PC (screenshot 1)

utorrent is fully capable of handling magnet; it is installed on my laptop and set as default app for .torrent files (screnshot 2).

How can I set it for magnet too?
    Thanks a lot.

:)

Georgey, Aug 26, 2019
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Choosing Default Apps & Insider Programme

To resolve your concern, kindly choose the default apps by file type. To do this, follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Choose System.
    • Select Default apps.
    • Click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Check all of the video file type, and then check if you can change the default app to your preferred application.
    After performing the steps, kindly share with us the result

Argel Obm, Aug 26, 2019
  3. Cannot set "Calendar" as default app

Hi J.C.Coelho,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 Technical Preview is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below steps and check whether you are able to make the Calendar as default.

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Default apps from the left pane.
    • Click on Choose default app by protocol at the bottom.
    • Select the Calendar and choose an app.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Aug 26, 2019
  4. Can't choose default app for protocol from PC

1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in Settings App

Everyone can change a default app. This is about creating a new file type or protocol for a default app. Your suggestion and the issue are different things.

Look at the screenshot, imagine there is a protocol URL:000 that isn't in the list... how are you going to add URL:000 to the list?

Kev Feathers, Aug 26, 2019
Thema:

Can't choose default app for protocol from PC

1. Can't choose default app for protocol from PC - Similar Threads - Can't choose default

2. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  3. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  4. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. FTP protocol default app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FTP protocol default app: I can type an FTP address in to the address bar on File Explorer, log in and use the service. What I want is to set it as default, so when I click an FTP link File Explorer opens it. If I try to set the default app in Windows I am only offered browsers, none of which work. I...
  6. FTP protocol default app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FTP protocol default app: I can type an FTP address in to the address bar on File Explorer, log in and use the service. What I want is to set it as default, so when I click an FTP link File Explorer opens it. If I try to set the default app in Windows I am only offered browsers, none of which work. I...
  7. Windows 10 - Choose default apps by protocol sucks

Windows 10 - Choose default apps by protocol sucks: Sorry, but I'm here to complain. I downloaded a certain application which associated a protocol to it. Then I changed the location of the application, and now I'm trying to manually change or delete the old entry to point to the new location of the executable. The new Windows...
  8. Default app for URN protocol

Default app for URN protocol: Hello, I faced a problem with opening links with URN suffix. Whenever link is being open it asks to select a default app for urn file type and then is unable to find any in MS Store. I have tried setting it to Chrome different ways, but none worked at the end: - tried...
  9. Tel protocol default app can't choose Skype

Tel protocol default app can't choose Skype: So, I have an Excel document that I use to click on phone numbers using the Tel protocol and open skype to call them. but recently when I click on it, Windows tells me to choose a default app. The only options are Chrome, People, Your Phone, and Look for an app on the...
  10. Can't choose default app for protocol from PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't choose default app for protocol from PC: Hi, I try to set utorrent as default app for magnet links. "Settings" though offers the current default, Torch, or to buy from the app store only, no option to choose from PC (screenshot 1) utorrent is fully capable of handling magnet; it is installed on my laptop and set...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. choose default app by protocol