Windows 10: Can't choose default program to open files

Discus and support Can't choose default program to open files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have been living with problem for a while. When making any file like: .css, .html, .php, .js and then trying to open them it shows the "How do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by grunburg, Dec 3, 2018.

1. grunburg Win User

Can't choose default program to open files

Hello,
    I have been living with problem for a while. When making any file like: .css, .html, .php, .js and then trying to open them it shows the "How do you want to open this file?" list from where I select the program, for example Sublime Text 3. I select the program, it opens but the file isn't changed to open with Sublime Text 3. Tried to do this with Properties and select from there - nothing, nothing changes.

How do I fix this problem?

Kind regards,

Ričards

:)

grunburg, Dec 3, 2018
  2. theking2 Win User

Choose Default Program not working

• Right click on file
    • Select Open With | Choose Default Program...
    • select a program from the list.

The selected program is opened with the file form 1)
    • Close the program
    • Double click the file from 1.

The old program is opened.
    It seems that the functionality to choose a default program is not working.

How do I specifiy a default program for a file type using the File Explorer?

theking2, Dec 3, 2018
  3. Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Dec 3, 2018
  4. theking2 Win User

Choose Default Program not working

This is the case for an XML file but also .inf files, which are all text files, can be opened once with a text editor but after that it is not possible to change the editor using the steps you provide.

It is possible to select a text editor under Choose Default Program but as the select box is not displayed it is not possible to make the selection stick.

Could someone add this to the bugs list of explorer? Thanks!

theking2, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't choose default program to open files - Similar Threads - Can't choose default

2. Can't set default program opener for .stl files for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't set default program opener for .stl files for Windows 11: Can't set default program opener for .stl files for Windows 11.There is not a check box to set as default and the files are not opened after click and .stl type is not in options.what can I do?...
  3. Can't set default program opener for .stl files for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't set default program opener for .stl files for Windows 11: Can't set default program opener for .stl files for Windows 11.There is not a check box to set as default and the files are not opened after click and .stl type is not in options.what can I do?...
  4. How to choose a default program based on file extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to choose a default program based on file extension: I downloaded some fonts to use in WORD. I installed a Font Manager called FontBase. The fonts have extensions of .json and .yml. I go to settings>default apps>choose default apps by file type. [ATTACH] I click Open with and I see [ATTACH] That leads me to...
  5. Canceling choose a default program

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Canceling choose a default program: [IMG] Hi, I have a question about restoring back the "choose a default app by file type", I accidentally picked a default program which I didn't mean to. And I want go back to where there shouldn't be any default program associate with that file extension, is there any way...
  6. choosing a program to open a program file

in Windows 10 Customization
    choosing a program to open a program file: why can't I drop and drag a program file in windows 10 and it becomes the default program for that program file? I has worked from windows 95.........
  7. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to choose a default app to open a file type: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 I restored file mapping to default via Default Apps Setting "reset to Microsoft recommended defaults"...
  8. Can't change default program to open files.

Can't change default program to open files.: Hi, I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight. I already tried: right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you...
  9. Why can't I choose Outlook as a default mail program

Why can't I choose Outlook as a default mail program: when I click on an email address link, it takes me to the default mail program. I've tried to change the default mail program, but the only choices are "Mail" and "Chrome" how do we get outlook back??...
  10. Choose a default location when opening File Explorer

Choose a default location when opening File Explorer: Hello, Is it possible to choose a default location/folder to open when opening File Explorer from the task bar? Default is that it opens Quick access. I use OneDrive a lot, and would really like to see that I could set that to open that location. Is it possible to set...