Windows 10: Can't Click On Anything In Desktop?

Discus and support Can't Click On Anything In Desktop? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings! So I have been having this PC problem for perhaps a week or so now? One time when I awoke from sleep, when I logged in today, and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Miha007, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Miha007 Win User

Can't Click On Anything In Desktop?

Greetings!

So I have been having this PC problem for perhaps a week or so now? One time when I awoke from sleep, when I logged in today, and then sometimes when I am using my PC. So what happens is, randomly I cannot click on any desktop icons(left click and right click won't work), along with any windows open in the desktop area. So what I mean is anything above my taskbar and start menu area, the area above it is unclickable. For example, I can open up a program since taskbar and start menu work, but since it is in the area above it in the desktop area, I cannot click on it at all. I don't think it's a mouse issue since the taskbar and start menu work fine, so I really don't know what to do. The temporary fix is to restart explorer.exe, but I don't know a permanent fix or why it occurs. Any assistance is appreciated thank you god bless.

:)

Miha007, Aug 9, 2017

2. Can't click on anything.

For those wondering im on my phone typing this

Hello, for the past days my pc hasnt been working. I start it up everything is fine then when i go to open so applications such as steam then dont launch. The spinning circle appears for a second and then dissapears. When i click on google chrome the page
    is white and then once i enter full screen with it the sides go black. Spotifiy on launch only has the bar at the top. I cant even get into my settings. I manually have to turn my pc off because i cant hit the button.

-Another problem I am having is once i try to launch something as administrator the yes and no options dont appear and I am met with a darker version of back desktop backround.

- Ive tried reseting my pc in safe mode because thats the only way I can click on stuff, but it says something went wrong.

I hope some one can help me. Thank you.

Ethan12347, Aug 9, 2017
  3. Can't click on anything.

See if you can get into Safe Mode with Networking by one of the methods in
    How to enter Windows 10's Safe Mode | PCWorld
    . If not Safe Mode w/ Networking then plain Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode go over the
    Windows 10 Performance and Install Integrity Checklist - Microsoft Community

to check the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance and any needed repairs get done.
    Try to start Windows normally.

If this fails try whatever method works to get into
    Advanced Startup Options
    including if necessary to
    Create Windows 10 Installation Media
    on another PC, boot by powering up PC while pressing

BIOS Boot Menu Key
    , choose UEFI version of media if offered, on second screen click Repair Your Computer. In Advanced Troubleshooting Options try System Restore, Startup Repair, or from the Command Prompt try the repair commands in the Checklist
    link above.

Your account may be corrupted so you can try from the same Command Prompt to
    Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7, 8, or 10
    to boot into it to try the same Checklist, if necessary
    Create a New Local User Account in Windows 10
    with Admin privileges, test it runs all programs, copy your files over and then delete the old account after if necessary

Switch back to a local account from a Microsoft account
    to be able to delete it and then change the new account to your MS account.

If all else fails you can from the Troubleshoot options
    Reset Your Windows 10 PC
    or using the same booted media do the gold-standard

Clean Install Windows 10
    which compiles a better install of Windows than you could pay for. There is a step to rescue files first.

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 9, 2017
  4. Can't Click On Anything In Desktop?

Try this, run CMD as admin and copy/paste"
    Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop" /v "NoAddingComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop" /v "NoComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "ForceActiveDesktopOn" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoActiveDesktop" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoActiveDesktopChanges" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f taskkill /im explorer.exe /f & explorer.exe[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Aug 9, 2017
Thema:

Can't Click On Anything In Desktop?

1. Can't Click On Anything In Desktop? - Similar Threads - Can't Click Anything

2. Can't click anything on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't click anything on desktop: Hello all.Sometimes, I cannot click anything while using windows, including interacting with apps, minimizing/closing them, and interacting with the taskbar. The only fix for this is ctrl+alt+delete. Is there any fix for this? I've tried:DISMsfc /scannowAlso, sometimes my...
  3. Can't click anything on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't click anything on desktop: Hello all.Sometimes, I cannot click anything while using windows, including interacting with apps, minimizing/closing them, and interacting with the taskbar. The only fix for this is ctrl+alt+delete. Is there any fix for this? I've tried:DISMsfc /scannowAlso, sometimes my...
  4. Can't click anything on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I can't click anything on desktop and taskbar.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't click anything on desktop and taskbar.: To begin with, the computer screen freezes completely. but when I hover the mouse over the elements of the web browser or the Windows interface, it is highlighted as usual, but it does not respond to any mouse clicks.it is important to note that in any other window programs,...
  6. I can't click anything on desktop and taskbar.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't click anything on desktop and taskbar.: To begin with, the computer screen freezes completely. but when I hover the mouse over the elements of the web browser or the Windows interface, it is highlighted as usual, but it does not respond to any mouse clicks.it is important to note that in any other window programs,...
  7. Can't click on the anything in the desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't click on the anything in the desktop: Was working just an hr ago after I did a refresh and somehow while I was installing my games. The desktop stopped working. I went into the event file and saw this. Any help please. Log Name: System Source: Service Control Manager Date: 1/23/2021...
  8. Can't click anything on desktop(20H2)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't click anything on desktop(20H2): Cant click anything on the desktop, start menu works if I press the windows key on the keyboard. Mouse is useless on the desktop, cant click on taskbar icons as well.(Left and right click both do not work) I can launch applications in the start menu with the mouse and then...
  9. Can't click on anything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't click on anything: Randomly, I am not able to click on anything. I can move mouse just fine, but can't click on any task buttons. They don't even highlight when I hover over them. I am able to click on apps on the desktop though (the shortcuts). If I restart 4 times, smetimes the problem goes...
  10. Can't left click on anything on the desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't left click on anything on the desktop: Hi all. My windows 10 seems to "locked". I am able to sign in then when I get to the desktop, I am unable to open any program. The system recently updated. I cannot figure out what is happening. Thank you in advance....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant click anything on desktop

2. cant click anything

3. i cant click anything ?

4. windows desktop cant click anything,
  5. windows cant click on dekstop