Windows 10: Can't click on anything in windows settings menu and can't type in windows search bar

Discus and support Can't click on anything in windows settings menu and can't type in windows search bar in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Whenever I'm in the windows settings menus I can't select any of the linked options. Every time I try to a white box appears over one of the items in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Will Weise, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Can't click on anything in windows settings menu and can't type in windows search bar

Whenever I'm in the windows settings menus I can't select any of the linked options. Every time I try to a white box appears over one of the items in the right column. For example, a white box appears over "Turning on high contrast" when I try to click on "Change the size of apps and text on other displays" as seen in the image I attached.

I have a feeling this problem is also causing the issue where I can't type in the windows search bar as well. I can usually type one letter in before it automatically de-selects it and won't allow me to type another letter. I have to click on the search bar every time I want to type another letter.

This problem only occurs in the windows settings menus and I have tried turning Cortana off in task manager, and restarting my pc, and unplugging my keyboard but the problem continues to persist.

It started out of nowhere and is annoying me to no end. I'm thinking I might have to roll back on a windows update but I'd rather avoid that at the moment so any help would be appreciated.

Can't click on anything in windows settings menu and can't type in windows search bar 5ae34345-c7c5-4f5b-96c0-b5c43bf5ae2d?upload=true.png

:)

Will Weise, Apr 21, 2020
  2. jbailey8 Win User

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Apr 21, 2020
  3. Windows 10 download speed issues

Try this method:
    • First of all from Start Menu, open Settings (Type settings in the search bar and it will appear).
    • locate and select “Update and Security“.
    • in this window, Locate “Advanced Options”. Click on it.
    • In Advanced Options; Click on “Choose How Updates are Delivered“.
    • Turn off Updates from more than one place.
    Your system will not work as a seeder for other Windows 10 users. It will give sudden boast to your Slow internet speed.

lorraine walsh, Apr 21, 2020
  4. birkhauer Win User

Can't click on anything in windows settings menu and can't type in windows search bar

Can't Type inside the Search Bar (i can only type 1 letter and it will freeze and close the search bar)

Hello guys and search for a solution for this problem and its was the simple of things.

I don´t know why it works but try it and tell if it works for you guys too.

• Press Win + R (to open Run )
    • copy paste and press enter to run this program. "C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe". it brings back the language bar and for me it allowed me to type in windows search, start menu and WINDOWS 10 apps again
    I think it is due to missing Language bar or some think like that.

Best regards.

birkhauer, Apr 21, 2020
Thema:

Can't click on anything in windows settings menu and can't type in windows search bar

1. Can't click on anything in windows settings menu and can't type in windows search bar - Similar Threads - Can't click anything

2. Can't type into Windows menu search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't type into Windows menu search bar: Clicking in the search bar does not register with the cursor symbol, and typing "P" for example does not insert P but selects Powerpoint. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-into-windows-menu-search-bar/5fe31a4d-409b-4abe-bcc0-27bdbe5d3a9e
  3. Can't type into Windows menu search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't type into Windows menu search bar: Clicking in the search bar does not register with the cursor symbol, and typing "P" for example does not insert P but selects Powerpoint. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-into-windows-menu-search-bar/5fe31a4d-409b-4abe-bcc0-27bdbe5d3a9e
  4. Search bar, can't type anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar, can't type anything: Hi, a couple weeks ago the search bar stopped working in windows windows 10 Pro. Cannot type anything. Search in windows explorer is also not working.I tried the troubleshooter and DISM tool without any success.Also tried a repair install with a usb media creation tooll...
  5. Search bar, can't type anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search bar, can't type anything: Hi, a couple weeks ago the search bar stopped working in windows windows 10 Pro. Cannot type anything. Search in windows explorer is also not working.I tried the troubleshooter and DISM tool without any success.Also tried a repair install with a usb media creation tooll...
  6. Search bar, can't type anything

in Cortana
  7. Can't open settings or type anything into search bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open settings or type anything into search bar: Hello! I have a HUGEEEEEE problem because i can't use the search bar or the settings menu OR THE CONTROL PANEL, which i desperately need right now and if i can it just starts flickering like i'm vigorously scrolling down, i try to scroll up but it's just bottoming out by...
  8. Can't type in start menu search bar?

in Cortana
    Can't type in start menu search bar?: Today i started facing this issue after i set my system's locale to japan so i could run some software.The language options on the bottom right of the bar disappeared and suddenly I wasn't able to type anything in the search box of the start menu. or the settings. I tried...
  9. Can't type anything in the Windows search bar

in Cortana
    Can't type anything in the Windows search bar: For some reason, I'm not able to type anything in the Windows search bar. It either gets stuck whilst typing, or it just crashes. I've done the Windows troubleshooting for Search and Indexing, but unfortunately, that didn't help at all. Could anyone please guide me with...
  10. Can't type anything in the Windows 10 search bar

in Cortana
    Can't type anything in the Windows 10 search bar: I have tried to do the workaround fix posted in this community previously involving running pasting "C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe" in the search bar and running it, to get typing in the Windows search bar working again. This is related to the language bar apparently....