Windows 10: Can't click on desktop/taskbar

Discus and support Can't click on desktop/taskbar in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Every so often I have an issue where if I clicked on my taskbar last I can't click anything on screen (desktop icons, web browser, etc.), and vice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kaleb195, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Kaleb195 Win User

Can't click on desktop/taskbar

Every so often I have an issue where if I clicked on my taskbar last I can't click anything on screen (desktop icons, web browser, etc.), and vice versa when I click anything on screen, so my taskbar locks up. Opening task manager and restarting Windows Explorer fixes it temporarily but it ends up happening again a few minutes or just seconds later. I even reinstalled Windows and it didn't fix anything. Here are all the Command Prompt/Powershell commands I've tried:

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop" /v "NoAddingComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop" /v "NoComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "ForceActiveDesktopOn" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoActiveDesktop" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoActiveDesktopChanges" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

taskkill /im explorer.exe /f & explorer.exe

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

If anyone can help me out with this it would be great. This happens on and off with my computer almost every month.

:)

Kaleb195, Oct 22, 2019

2. taskbar

Hi Roger,

Thank you for sharing this to the Microsoft Community. We suggest that you follow these steps for possible solution:

• Right-click on an empty area of the taskbar. If in tablet mode, hold your finger on the taskbar.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Toggle Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode to on. You can also do the same for tablet mode.

In addition to that, you can follow the reply of johnhart061 on this
    thread for more information.

Let us know how it goes.

Marvin Barc, Oct 22, 2019
  3. taskbar tranparency

Hi Dan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will surely assist you with this.

I would suggest you to change the desktop themes and check if you are able to see the transparent taskbar.

If that doesn't help I would suggest you to end the explorer.exe and restart it and see if you are able to see the transparent taskbar.

Please follow the steps below to restart explorer.exe:

stop and start Explorer.exe

• Right click on the taskbar and select task manager.

• In the process Right click on windows explorer and end the task

• Restart the task by clicking on the file and select new task

• Type Explorer.exe and press enter.
    And see if it helps.

Do let us know the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Oct 22, 2019
  4. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Oct 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't click on desktop/taskbar - Similar Threads - Can't click desktop

2. Taskbar icons disappear, can't right click on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar icons disappear, can't right click on desktop: Hi,I've upgrade one of our employee's computer from win 10 to win 11 last week. At first, everything worked fine but after a few days, all the taskbar icons are gone. The system tray icons still working, the taskbar line still there too, but the icons include window icon all...
  3. Taskbar icons disappear, can't right click on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar icons disappear, can't right click on desktop: Hi,I've upgrade one of our employee's computer from win 10 to win 11 last week. At first, everything worked fine but after a few days, all the taskbar icons are gone. The system tray icons still working, the taskbar line still there too, but the icons include window icon all...
  4. I can't click anything on desktop and taskbar.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't click anything on desktop and taskbar.: To begin with, the computer screen freezes completely. but when I hover the mouse over the elements of the web browser or the Windows interface, it is highlighted as usual, but it does not respond to any mouse clicks.it is important to note that in any other window programs,...
  5. I can't click anything on desktop and taskbar.

I can't click anything on desktop and taskbar.: To begin with, the computer screen freezes completely. but when I hover the mouse over the elements of the web browser or the Windows interface, it is highlighted as usual, but it does not respond to any mouse clicks.it is important to note that in any other window programs,...
  6. Sometime I can't click anything on desktop or taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sometime I can't click anything on desktop or taskbar: I've already tried every methods I found on internet but it still happenOnly when I press Ctrl+Alt+Del and wait for 2s later it's normal again for a whileI also reinstalled windows but still can't workPlease help me...
  7. Sometime I can't click anything on desktop or taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sometime I can't click anything on desktop or taskbar: I've already tried every methods I found on internet but it still happenOnly when I press Ctrl+Alt+Del and wait for 2s later it's normal again for a whileI also reinstalled windows but still can't workPlease help me...
  8. Sometime I can't click anything on desktop or taskbar

9. Can't click on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't click on taskbar: Hello Bit of a strange one this - I can click on my start button, type in the search bar and right click on the blank space to open up the tool bar etc, but I can't click on the calendar/clock, notification button or right click on the buttons for Chrome, Spotify etc....
  10. Can't click on desktop/taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't click on desktop/taskbar: Every so often I have an issue where if I clicked on my taskbar last I can't click anything on screen (desktop icons, web browser, etc.), and vice versa when I click anything on screen, so my taskbar locks up. Opening task manager and restarting Windows Explorer fixes it...