Windows 10: Can't click on results of "Best match" in Windows search (Win10)

Discus and support Can't click on results of "Best match" in Windows search (Win10) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I need help because this is driving me crazy. Suddenly I can't click (or press enter) on most icons best match suggests as they seem to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mondieu, Jun 10, 2017.

1. mondieu Win User

Can't click on results of "Best match" in Windows search (Win10)

Hi all, I need help because this is driving me crazy.

Suddenly I can't click (or press enter) on most icons best match suggests as they seem to be dead.
    It seems to be mostly app-related since I can't do it for matches like Chrome, Drive, Word... but it seems to be working for windows-related matches (Calculator, Settings..)

I've found a few fixes and tried them all, to no avail:

Fix Search not working in Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News
    - Kill Cortana (which is not available in my country so I can't do that)
    - Run the search troubleshooter (found no problems)
    - Restarting windows search service (did no good)
    - Re-registering Cortana (again, no help)

I've also tried:
    - Rebuilding my windows search index
    - Reinstalling language packs (Can't click on Start Menu Search - Windows 10 Forums) since I did install a new language right before this error started to show.
    - scannow cmd, chdsk /r

Apart from using 3rd party solutions (which I don't want to) or reinstalling Windows (which I'd like to avoid), does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

:)

mondieu, Jun 10, 2017
  2. ChloeD123 Win User

"Administrator Your account has been disabled" Windows 10 Help

What if for some reason I can't get "Edit Group Policy" to open? When I search for it, it appears as a search result, but when I click on it, it opens a new window that says "no results match your search."

ChloeD123, Jun 10, 2017
  3. Owen D. Win User
    Search doesn't show results from my D:\ drive until I click "My stuff"

Yes, that is what I'm referring to. The fact remains: when I search names or contents of files stored in OneDrive on my desktop computer, the "Best Match" is a web search. When I search the same query on my laptop, I see actual results in "Best Match"
    from OneDrive files that match my query. I would like to see immediate results from my files in "Best Match" when I search from my desktop just like I do on my laptop.

Owen D., Jun 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I understand that clicking on Cortana search results for installed 3rd party programs fails e.g.

Can't click on results of "Best match" in Windows search (Win10) [​IMG]

1. Taking an example of a program which fails to launch like that, can you launch it from the Start Menu?
    2. You say
    - could you confirm you only mean icons as presented as shown above, or do you mean other shortcuts as well e.g. Start Menu, desktop...
    3. Given that this happened suddenly, do you have a System Restore point you could use?
    4. Search indexing doesn't appear to be the issue here, as you are getting the results you're looking for.
    5. Please create a new user for test purposes, and compare what happens when logged in as the new user.
    6. Do you have any idea what happened or what you did before this symptom occurred?
    - e.g. a Windows update, installed or uninstalled a program etc.

dalchina, Jun 10, 2017
  5. mondieu Win User
    Hi! Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't expecting such a quick answer.
    1. I can launch every program from the start menu (when I scroll down to find them), but not if I search for them - like in the photo you used.
    2. I have no problems in opening the start menu or desktop
    3. Unfortunately, no :/
    4. Right. I did it before reading this and it didn't help
    5. Created and logged in, it works fine there. If nothing else, I might migrate there
    6. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary apart from installing a language pack (Croatian) for Powerpoint. I'm not sure whether that's the cause, but the link I've pasted before says it might be that.

I've also found this thread - Settings: (UK - US ok) Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    Since you were on it, do you think it applies?

mondieu, Jun 11, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Thanks for the precise answers.

I doubt anyone would logically expect a Croatian P Pt lang pack to affect Cortana... but who knows? Cortana is sensitive to Windows language pack changes, but not normally in the way you are experiencing.

Obviously you could try uninstalling the P Pt lang. pack...

Now since this works if you create a new user, this is user profile related, not general windows corruption (hence SFC /Scannow - system files - and DISM - and an in-place upgrade repair install are all irrelevant).

The last thread relates to sorting out issues related to installing Windows language packs, so is probably not applicable. The symptom is different too.

Changing to a new user would be the obvious option otherwise, lacking a restore point or a disk image.

However that isn't straightforward if you have a lot of programs installed, were some may be installed only for the current user. Further, transferring data in user folders has to be done indirectly (unless you perhaps do it having booted from a boot disk.

Note: The routine use of disk imaging lets you recover your PC and partitions even if your disk fails or is encrypted with ransomware, for example. All regular contributors here use it. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk + external storage for disk image sets.

dalchina, Jun 11, 2017
  7. mondieu Win User
    I'm pretty sure you're right. It shouldn't be Cortana since I don't even use it (her?) and can't kill the process in task manager as I can't even find it. I was just browsing around and trying every possible solution, however improbable.

In any case, uninstallling the lang pack didn't help either so it seems I'll just be switching to a new user and deleting this one. It should be far easier than reinstalling windows altogether, although I find it troubling not to be able to find a solution to the (core) problem.

I'll start making regular disk images, for all that is worth now.

Regardless, thank you very much for the help!

mondieu, Jun 11, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Sounds good. It's not always possible to find exact cause and effect. That can emerge if a problem is common and one person finds a solution, sometimes by analysis, sometimes by elimination, sometimes by chance. Windows is so complex, and the OS and registry can be readily overwritten- which is why forums like this are busy.

Further, there's the question as to how much time one spends on a problem if there is a way to move forward.

This is why System Restore, disk imaging, etc are there to let you go back to a point before the problem occurred.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't click on results of "Best match" in Windows search (Win10) - Similar Threads - Can't click results

2. Broken links in "Best Match" search results

in Cortana
    Broken links in "Best Match" search results: Hi,For a long time now I've had problems with search in Windows 10. I'm currently on build 18363. I have web results turned off via gpe and I do not want to use Cortana.The issue: Searching in the task bar often returns dead links. Even for MS Edge. It looks something like...
  3. How to configure Classic Shell to match Win10 search results?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to configure Classic Shell to match Win10 search results?: For example in Win 10 search I can type GTAV but in classic shell I have to type Grand Theft for it to show up. Why? Thank you submitted by /u/petertree [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jqj6ro/how_to_configure_classic_shell_to_match_win10/
  4. Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour: Posted on Microsoft Community, but all I got was "update your system", "run the troubleshooter", and "run sfc". Here's my problem: Windows Search behaves differently every time I use it and it drives me insane. I open my applications via Windows Search, and sometimes it...
  5. Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

in Cortana
    Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour: Windows Search behaves differently every time I use it and it drives me insane. I open my applications via Windows Search, and sometimes it gets the job done and sometimes it does not. One example of problem: https://streamable.com/c5tlkq I turn on my laptop, press Win,...
  6. Best match not showing after searching for anything

in Cortana
    Best match not showing after searching for anything: Hey, all of the sudden when I search for anything on the search bar it stopped showing the result for best match, I used to be able for example to type in "calc" and it would show the calculator and I just needed to press enter to open it, now I need to manually click on it...
  7. [Start Search] Disable Best Match Result Preview?

[Start Search] Disable Best Match Result Preview?: Hi all, Just updated in the first time after probably 2 years (couldn't update before, long story), and i notice that the start search is now way wider and has this really annoying preview option that's essentially useless. How do i disable that? (through registry editing,...
  8. Remove select "Best Matches" from search bar results.

Remove select "Best Matches" from search bar results.: I use SourceTree a lot and when I type "sour" into search, I get two results, SourceTree and ODBC Data Sources and it places the not-SourceTree one on top. I have mistakenly hit enter and opened the not-SourceTree thing a few times and so now I must type "sourcet" and hit...
  9. Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match"

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match": Within the last couple of days, Windows search Best Match has become defective. For instance, when I used to type "scree", my screenshots folder would be at the top of the best match results. Now I type "scree", and it gives me the Best Match of Screenshot (181).png, and it...
  10. Can't click "Best Match" on Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click "Best Match" on Start Menu Search: Hi, Today my "Control Panel" apps/shortcuts on the Start Menu search have stopped working. Happened half way through the morning after installing a new printer. Examples: [img] None of the above items work when clicked (except the items which cause a menu, e.g....