Windows 10: Can't click, Windows Search steals the window focus

Discus and support Can't click, Windows Search steals the window focus in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can't click anything it happens often and randomly, after a lot of head banging I discovered killing Search.exe) using the keyboard) would solve the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nitzero, Jun 15, 2016.

1. nitzero Win User

Can't click, Windows Search steals the window focus

Can't click anything it happens often and randomly, after a lot of head banging I discovered killing Search.exe) using the keyboard) would solve the problem until it happened again.

The behavior is as if another window is taking focus or if you're clicking on something else.

I've tried formatting through Windows recovery and the problem persists. Disabling Windows Search fixes the problem but I really can't live without it.

Typical Intel Desktop with AMD GPU
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000

Nothing installed at this moment.

Also tried another mouse, the problem doesn't go away.

Appreciate any help troubleshooting this problem.

:)

nitzero, Jun 15, 2016

2. Windows 10: Windows Update causes inability to use right mouse click and other problems

After upgrading, the next day I went to use Windows 10, and found an icon rapidly flickering in and out of existence in the task bar.

While doing that, it keeps stealing the application focus, thereby cause you to lose keystrokes, be unable to use ALT + TAB, and context menus to close.

Not that this icon DOES NOT HAVE A UI, but still steals the focus

I have (in my case) tracked the problem to Windows Update.

While the update packages (small, and I have an SSD as well) are installing, every time they start and end, they steal the focus.

Roger Willcocks, Jun 15, 2016
  3. Windows 10 - Mail App steals focus every 2 seconds ...

Upgraded my desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 awhile back. No issues until recently.

All the latest updates installed. It is a desktop with a mouse and a keyboard.

Recently, Mail App started to launch itself and keeps stealing focus. I can't do anything else on the machine. Can't even kill the app, it relaunches in 2 to 3 seconds.

I don't want to use the Mail App.

I uninstalled the Mail App via Powershell but ran into another similar problem. An error window pops-up with the message:
    You are attempting to open a file of type of 'System file' (.dll) pops up. Now, this window steals focus continuously.

Can't click, Windows Search steals the window focus [​IMG]

I reinstalled Mail App. The above error window disappears but Mail App resumes to steal focus every 3 seconds.

Any pointers sincerely appreciated.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Squareonhypotenus, Jun 15, 2016
Thema:

Can't click, Windows Search steals the window focus

1. Can't click, Windows Search steals the window focus - Similar Threads - Can't click Search

2. Unknown application stealing focus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unknown application stealing focus: Good Day,I have recently been getting calls from end users that when they are typing, the cursor will disappear and they have to click back into their text box to continue.This started occurring in the last month. I have 3 PC's having this issue, all 3 are new deployments,...
  3. mstsc.exe stealing focus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mstsc.exe stealing focus: Hello.I have a problem on my Windows 11 PC. Whenever I do anything on my PC, a program called mstsc.exe steals focus of my opened window. This happens every few minutes. The program is located in C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe. I used this program:...
  4. mstsc.exe stealing focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mstsc.exe stealing focus: Hello.I have a problem on my Windows 11 PC. Whenever I do anything on my PC, a program called mstsc.exe steals focus of my opened window. This happens every few minutes. The program is located in C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe. I used this program:...
  5. Black Window Stealing Focus

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Window Stealing Focus: First off, from what I can tell this is some sort of window. Windows can display over top of it, but only by bringing up or forcing the OS to show a window or item by hovering mouse over taskbar icon. The black window also is not fullscreen as anything being displayed behind...
  6. SearchUI Stealing Focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SearchUI Stealing Focus: Hi, I've recently started playing RDR2 but every few minutes SearchUI.exe steals focus from the game. From what I've read, you are unable to uninstall Cortana or rename to stop the process from running. Has anybody had a similar issue and been able to resolve? Windows...
  7. Focus stealing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Focus stealing: I have an application that has drop down menus for work. (like a status change from started to completed) And if I have the work application open, and I open any other application, Skype, Internet explorer, Chrome anything, AFTER the work app is running, I can no longer use...
  8. Windows Focus Logger Indicates Process "PMA" is Stealing Focus

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Focus Logger Indicates Process "PMA" is Stealing Focus: I have been having this problem for maybe a month and a half now, and have only recently seriously begun attempting to solve it. During normal use of any application, be it games, coding software like GMS2, or any other application that has my focus, my focus will be taken...
  9. Windows Updater Steals Focus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updater Steals Focus: When playing games via Steam every hour or so the game would mysteriously minimize or at the very least drop out of full screen for a couple of seconds. After a lot of research and debugging I was able to track the problem down to Windows Updater stealing focus. This is...
  10. turn off focus stealing

in Windows 10 Support
    turn off focus stealing: Hey, how do i turn off focus stealing ? i have already in regedit under ForegroundLockTimeout set 30d40, but still when i am in game for example, pop out windows steal focus and minimizes the game. I don't know about anything else. Is there any way how to turn this off. Thank...