Windows 10: Can’t clone drive to SSD even though there’s enough space

Discus and support Can’t clone drive to SSD even though there’s enough space in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My boot drive is a 1tb hard drive and im trying to clone it onto my new SSD so that I can make the SSD my boot drive. My SSD is a 500gb SSD, the used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/VeggieHater9, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Can’t clone drive to SSD even though there’s enough space

My boot drive is a 1tb hard drive and im trying to clone it onto my new SSD so that I can make the SSD my boot drive. My SSD is a 500gb SSD, the used space on my HDD is less than 500 gb tho, it’s actually 359 to be exact. But I keep getting the error message “incompatible disk selected. The target disk has an incompatible sector size for this operation. Please choose a different disk.” Any help is appreciated and a “for idiots” way of explaining would be great.

Error message that comes up

submitted by /u/VeggieHater9
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/VeggieHater9, Oct 8, 2020
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Oct 8, 2020
  3. SSD clone issues with Space

Good Afternoon everyone

so my SSD drive was starting to get full it has 128gb capacity. I decided to upgrade to a 500gb i found on newegg for a decent price. I used the paragon ssd clone program and everything transferred succesfully. Then i changed the boot order in my start up and menu and have succfully removed my old ssd and and running on the new one. My issue is when i check my disk space for the new SSD it is still showing me the old SSD and saying it is almost full. Did i miss a step somewhere? Has anyone else had this happen?

bloodsoup0311, Oct 8, 2020
  4. cadaveca Win User

Can’t clone drive to SSD even though there’s enough space

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Oct 8, 2020
Thema:

Can’t clone drive to SSD even though there’s enough space

1. Can’t clone drive to SSD even though there’s enough space - Similar Threads - Can’t clone drive

2. Error not enough Disk Space - Even though I have plenty of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error not enough Disk Space - Even though I have plenty of space: Hi all,I am currently trying to install games from steam, but I'm encountering an error message indicating that I don't have sufficient disk space.However, I have approximately 600 GB on disk G and 1.2 TB on disk M.I am perplexed as to why I am unable to install a 75GB game...
  3. Error not enough Disk Space - Even though I have plenty of space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error not enough Disk Space - Even though I have plenty of space: Hi all,I am currently trying to install games from steam, but I'm encountering an error message indicating that I don't have sufficient disk space.However, I have approximately 600 GB on disk G and 1.2 TB on disk M.I am perplexed as to why I am unable to install a 75GB game...
  4. Not Enough Space Error Even I Have Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not Enough Space Error Even I Have Space: Hello,I have 2 SSD and 1 HDD in my computerC SSD 1 is for my programs and windows it has 222 GBE SSD 2 for the games it has 445 GBD HDD is for my work and games also it is 2 TB I have 186 GB empty space at my "E SSD"But i cant even upload 780 MB FileI had same issue at W10 so...
  5. Not Enough Space Error Even I Have Space

Not Enough Space Error Even I Have Space: Hello,I have 2 SSD and 1 HDD in my computerC SSD 1 is for my programs and windows it has 222 GBE SSD 2 for the games it has 445 GBD HDD is for my work and games also it is 2 TB I have 186 GB empty space at my "E SSD"But i cant even upload 780 MB FileI had same issue at W10 so...
  6. Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive: Okay, So here's the thing. Laptop with small (16GB) Optane SSD & 1TB Seagate HDD failed. Retailer tried to repair, repair failed. Retailer replaced machine with new (lower spec) machine that only has m.2 NVMe PCIe sockets. Bought a small 'Proof-of-concept' SSD to check the...
  7. "Not enough space on hard drive"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Not enough space on hard drive": Hi I'm trying to install an old program on my Windows 10 computer. Everything seems OK until the "available space" on the hard drive is shown. This shows as a negative amount in Kb, I have a 2TB hard drive which is practically brand new. Help please....
  8. "Not enough space on" ... when there's enough space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Not enough space on" ... when there's enough space.: Getting a very strange error when trying to copy a file onto a drive: [ATTACH] Looks like there's enough space to me... halp. :P https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-enough-space-on-when-theres-enough-space/c484ca99-4210-4ee7-8d07-d66ad4843183"
  9. Not enough space on Recovery (D:) drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Not enough space on Recovery (D:) drive.: My Recovery D is full and is all red . I had to do a recovery and it couldn't remove enough without destroying important and computer info. I do not want community please. I don't understand very well. **Title modified from: I have no recovery space it's all red***...
  10. Error not enough Disk Space - Even though I have 450GB of space

Error not enough Disk Space - Even though I have 450GB of space: Hi All, I am currently trying to install the newly released Horizon 4 game from the Microsoft Store, however I keep getting an error suggesting I do not have enough disk space. I have a completely empty SSD 250GB and about 200GB on my HDD. I have set the download...