Windows 10: Can't Completely Disable Snipping Tool (Or change specific hotkey)

Discus and support Can't Completely Disable Snipping Tool (Or change specific hotkey) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm looking to completely disable the Snipping Tool on my device. My goal is to prevent snipping tool or anything microsoft related from opening when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Corcustos, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Can't Completely Disable Snipping Tool (Or change specific hotkey)

I'm looking to completely disable the Snipping Tool on my device. My goal is to prevent snipping tool or anything microsoft related from opening when I press the PrntScrn button as I am wanting to use a third party software for this. I want the PrntScrn button to do absolutely nothing but still be functionally available for other programs. Here is some information to help pin down the solution:

• I don't have the group policy editor. gpedit.msc does not exist on my PC. (Windows 10 Home)
    • I have used the registry editor to disable snipping tool, yet it still pops up a window when PrntScrn is pressed saying that it is disabled. I need the window to not pop up
    • Snipping Tool does not appear in services.msc at all.
    • I have gone into the snipping tool properties and changed the shortcut key to something else, but it still uses PrntScreen plus whatever I set it to.

An alternative solution would simply to be able to change the hotkey from PrntScrn and not in addition to. I have looked through many other questions and I simply cannot find what I need. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

submitted by /u/Corcustos
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Corcustos, Nov 10, 2020

2. Windows 10: disable hotkeys for Snipping Tool?

The Windows 10 Snipping Tool has reserved some keyboard shortcuts. I wish to use them with another program.

Is there a way to release these? Or else disable the Snipping Tool completely?

The tool I wish to use instead is Greenshot, which I've been using for years in Windows (XP, 7, 8, 8.1). Here is the message Greenshot displays on install:

---------------------------

Warning

The hotkey(s) "PrintScreen, Alt + PrintScreen, Ctrl + PrintScreen" could not be registered. This problem is probably caused by another tool claiming usage of the same hotkey(s)! You could either change your hotkey settings or deactivate/change the software
    making use of the hotkey(s).
    All Greenshot features still work directly from the tray icon context menu without hotkeys.

Abort Retry Ignore

I found the registry entries, but I'm not sure what to edit to disable the Snipping Tool.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\TabletPC\Snipping Tool

EricChadwickOutAct, Nov 10, 2020
  3. How to disable the hotkey for the snipping tool (Win + Shift + S)?

Hi, I would like to know how to disable the hotkey for the snipping tool, which is performed by pressing the windows key + Shift + S.

Note: I'm not looking to disable all hotkeys, but only the one I mentioned.

Equanimous, Nov 10, 2020
  4. DanV64 Win User

Can't Completely Disable Snipping Tool (Or change specific hotkey)

DanV64, Nov 10, 2020
Thema:

Can't Completely Disable Snipping Tool (Or change specific hotkey)

1. Can't Completely Disable Snipping Tool (Or change specific hotkey) - Similar Threads - Can't Completely Disable

2. Could snipping tool support recording with hotkey?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could snipping tool support recording with hotkey?: Hello everyone,The snipping tool support takes screenshot with win+****+s. But I can't find any hotkey to record screen win+****+r shows the same screenshot UI as win+shift+s.Will snipping tool support recording with hotkey and even custom hotkey?...
  3. Could snipping tool support recording with hotkey?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Could snipping tool support recording with hotkey?: Hello everyone,The snipping tool support takes screenshot with win+****+s. But I can't find any hotkey to record screen win+****+r shows the same screenshot UI as win+shift+s.Will snipping tool support recording with hotkey and even custom hotkey?...
  4. change/disable sound hotkeys

change/disable sound hotkeys: Since the new update, every time i click the button C on my keyboard, it mutes all sound. when i click X it lowers the volume. is there anything i can do to fix this issue, there isnt anything online....
  5. Change Snip & Sketch HotKey

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Snip & Sketch HotKey: HI, I like the OneNote's snipping utility and have been using it for years. Now, the new Snip & Sketch tool takes over the "Windows + Shift + S" hotkey from OneNote. I want it to be re-assigned to OneNote and probably assign another HotKey to Snip & Sketch. I have tried below...
  6. Change Snip & Sketch HotKey

Change Snip & Sketch HotKey: HI, I like the OneNote's snipping utility and have been using it for years. Now, the new Snip & Sketch tool takes over the "Windows + Shift + S" hotkey from OneNote. I want it to be re-assigned to OneNote and probably assign another HotKey to Snip & Sketch. I have tried below...
  7. Change Snip & Sketch HotKey

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Can't Completely Disable Snipping Tool Or change specific hotkey

Can't Completely Disable Snipping Tool Or change specific hotkey: I'm looking to completely disable the Snipping Tool on my device. My goal is to prevent snipping tool or anything microsoft related from opening when I press the PrntScrn button as I am wanting to use a third party software for this. I want the PrntScrn button to do...
  9. howto disable specific windows Fxx hotkeys?

howto disable specific windows Fxx hotkeys?: game programmer issue. i wanna disable the i think explorer internal F10 hotkey, which apparently is supposed to open the system menu of 'apps'/regular program windows. i don't need this. it's useless who uses that? probably nobody. i also might wanna disable the de-bugger...
  10. How to disable the hotkey for the snipping tool (Win + Shift + S)?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable the hotkey for the snipping tool (Win + Shift + S)?: Hi, I would like to know how to disable the hotkey for the snipping tool, which is performed by pressing the windows key + Shift + S. Note: I'm not looking to disable all hotkeys, but only the one I mentioned. 128305