Windows 10: Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file

Discus and support Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; hello, When I press the compress to zip option in the context menu, It just asks how to open the file. Ive done the standard sfc /scannow and the DISM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by The Glitchy Mario, Nov 4, 2023.

1. Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file

hello, When I press the compress to zip option in the context menu, It just asks how to open the file. Ive done the standard sfc /scannow and the DISM commands, which didn't reveal errors, nor was the problem fixed. I'm also updated to the latest 23H2. Ive looked around and have tried all i could find, and nothing worked. Any help or info is appreciated. Thanks!

:)

The Glitchy Mario, Nov 4, 2023

2. not able to open zipped and compressed files using windows 10

What is the default App set for the file type .zip at Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose Default by File type? Try setting 7Zip there to make sure it gets tried.

Next go into 7Zip File Manager in Apps list, try opening a zip file to see what happens.

Complete all other steps and report back all results.

Greg Carmack - MVP, Nov 4, 2023
  3. Compress files??

using upx? to compress exe files
    but you need to make it executable zip first then do upx

micropage7, Nov 4, 2023
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file

So I used KGB Archiver to compress a 10gb file into a 40mb file...

Exactly. Most compression programs change a series of 1s and/or 0s to a couple of digits, and stores the total file in a table of contents/index. If you've got a file with TONS of repeating digits, sure, but pictures? No way to get that kind of compression in the real world.

from an article on "How To Geek"

First, we installed Bastion and compressed its folder — about 863 MB in size of music, graphics, executable files, and various different types of documents:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 745 MB (86.3% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 734 MB (85% of the original size)
    Next, we compressed Hotline Miami, which is 654 MB of data:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 316 MB (48.3% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 314 MB (48% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 307 MB (46.9% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 301 MB (46% of the original size)
    I would not expect a great deal of change from those numbers in November of 2014 to now, nor would I expect any real-world files to come any where NEAR the compression rate of .4%.

Ahhzz, Nov 4, 2023
Thema:

Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file

1. Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file - Similar Threads - Cant compress anything

2. The default compress files to zip asks for app to use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The default compress files to zip asks for app to use: Hello, I recently ran into an issue where the default compress files to zip on Windows 11 https://imgur.com/v35LjR3 asks me for an app to use to compress files into zip https://imgur.com/CLZKqk4 where as the option of right clicking the file and pressing show more options,...
  3. The default compress files to zip asks for app to use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The default compress files to zip asks for app to use: Hello, I recently ran into an issue where the default compress files to zip on Windows 11 https://imgur.com/v35LjR3 asks me for an app to use to compress files into zip https://imgur.com/CLZKqk4 where as the option of right clicking the file and pressing show more options,...
  4. Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file

Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file: hello, When I press the compress to zip option in the context menu, It just asks how to open the file. Ive done the standard sfc /scannow and the DISM commands, which didn't reveal errors, nor was the problem fixed. I'm also updated to the latest 23H2. Ive looked around and...
  5. File Explorer asking me to open a new application to compress a file into zip

File Explorer asking me to open a new application to compress a file into zip: I'm having an issue where when I want to compress a file into zip in file explorer, it's asking me to open another application. Why is this happening? Doesn't File Explorer have the ability to zip a file for you as it does with unzipping? Please help....
  6. File Explorer asking me to open a new application to compress a file into zip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer asking me to open a new application to compress a file into zip: I'm having an issue where when I want to compress a file into zip in file explorer, it's asking me to open another application. Why is this happening? Doesn't File Explorer have the ability to zip a file for you as it does with unzipping? Please help....
  7. File Explorer asking me to open a new application to compress a file into zip

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. What zip compression methods are used by Windows File Explorer?

What zip compression methods are used by Windows File Explorer?: Hello,I am working for an organization that will be archiving extensive amounts of data for long-term storage. We rely on Windows File Explorer to compress and create zip files of our publications. For our archiving work, we want to follow the ISO standard for Document...
  9. What zip compression methods are used by Windows File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What zip compression methods are used by Windows File Explorer?: Hello,I am working for an organization that will be archiving extensive amounts of data for long-term storage. We rely on Windows File Explorer to compress and create zip files of our publications. For our archiving work, we want to follow the ISO standard for Document...
  10. not able to open zipped and compressed files using windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    not able to open zipped and compressed files using windows 10: up until just a few days ago I was able to open zipped/compressed files just by right clicking on them and clicking extract files. Now I just constantly a pop up saying "Cannot Complete the compressed (zipped) folders extraction wizard. and that the compressed (zipped)...