Windows 10: Can't connect from my laptop to work computer via remote desktop

Discus and support Can't connect from my laptop to work computer via remote desktop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am operating a Windows 10 pro laptop. I am able to log in to the portal successfully. It starts a "smart tunnel". Then I go to Remote Desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Adlen_E, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Adlen_E Win User

Can't connect from my laptop to work computer via remote desktop

I am operating a Windows 10 pro laptop.

I am able to log in to the portal successfully. It starts a "smart tunnel". Then I go to Remote Desktop Connection and type in the domain name I have already verified it is correct, then enter the user name. I get the following error message:

Remote Desktop can't find the computer {domain name}. This might mean that {domain name} does not belong to the specified network. Verify the computer name and domain that you are trying to connect to.

I have gotten a network support person from work to take a look and she couldn't figure it out. She thinks it something to do with my laptop. Help!

:)

Adlen_E, Mar 12, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

3. Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer

We suggest that you disable any security program on your computer and check if it resolves the issue.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as
    soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Then follow the steps below to ensure remote desktop is enabled:

• Click Start.
    • Click on File Explorer.
    • Right-click This PC.
    • Select Properties.
    • Click Remote settings in the upper left hand corner.
    • Ensure the option Allow remote connection to this computer and
      Allow Remote Assistance connection to this computer is selected.
    • Click Apply and OK.
    • Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Mar 12, 2020
  4. Julie Ram Win User

Remote Desktop Connection not reaching office computer from my laptop (Windows 10), but I can reach it from other computers

Hi Bryce,

To assist you with the concern, we suggest that you follow the steps provided below:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Network & Internet.
    • Click Ethernet > Ethernet Connection Icon.
    Then, you will see an option to allow your device to be discoverable. After turning on, check if you were able to do Remote Desktop connection on your system.

If the issue still persists, you may also try re0installing Remote Desktop Connection on your computer.

Let us know how it goes,

Thank you.

Julie Ram, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't connect from my laptop to work computer via remote desktop - Similar Threads - Can't connect laptop

2. Remote desktop connection via VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop connection via VPN: I have remote desktop on both a laptop and a mini PC. Both have windows 11 pro. I am able to connect while on the same network. I'd like to understand how to connect remotely while on different networks via the VPN method....
  3. Remote desktop connection via VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote desktop connection via VPN: I have remote desktop on both a laptop and a mini PC. Both have windows 11 pro. I am able to connect while on the same network. I'd like to understand how to connect remotely while on different networks via the VPN method....
  4. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  5. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  6. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. CAN connect to Remote Desktop from phone, CAN'T connect from laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CAN connect to Remote Desktop from phone, CAN'T connect from laptop: [ATTACH] Just built a new rig with Windows 10 Education! So I got my computer set up as a host for Windows Remote Desktop, and my Android phone connects perfectly as a client. However, I can't connect on my Windows 10 Home laptop. I always get the Pop-up "Remote Desktop...
  8. If I open up a connection via Remote Desktop to my work computer, will the computer at the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    If I open up a connection via Remote Desktop to my work computer, will the computer at the...: I’m worried that it’ll unlock the computer being connected too. If I forgot to lock the Remote Desktop connection will that happen too? submitted by /u/qqqqqqTA [link] [comments]...
  9. Unable to connect to Windows 10 computer via Remote Desktop

Unable to connect to Windows 10 computer via Remote Desktop: I have 6 Windows 10 computers. All but one can connect to each other via Remote Desktop over my home network. When I try to Remote Desktop to the 6th computer I get the following error: Remote Desktop can't find the computer [computer name]. This might mean that [computer...
  10. Can't log in via Remote Desktop

Can't log in via Remote Desktop: I am having intermittent problems connecting via remote desktop. I use RD with a laptop to connect to my desktop PC. Both are running Windows 10. The desktop has Office 2016, the desktop has Office 2013. Both are Lenovo machines. When I am unable to connect, I get the...