Windows 10: Can't connect to home server until I ping myself from it (IPv6 only)

Discus and support Can't connect to home server until I ping myself from it (IPv6 only) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an old home server running ubuntu server 20.04 which is reachable at the IPv6 link local address fe80::38%25. For some reason, about 3 days ago,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by thegamerguy56, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Can't connect to home server until I ping myself from it (IPv6 only)

I have an old home server running ubuntu server 20.04 which is reachable at the IPv6 link local address fe80::38%25. For some reason, about 3 days ago, I stopped being able to communicate with the server @ fe80::38%25 until I SSH into it using its IPv4 address and ping my own computers IPv6 address. The first few ICMP sequences will always fail, but around the 4-6th one my computer will respond and everything will be fine until I restart my computer. My windows firewall is set to allow all outgoing traffic and only allow incoming traffic that matches exceptions. Disabling the Windows firewall completely does solve the issue, but when I enable it and add an exception allowing all traffic from fe80::/64, it still doesn't work? This doesn't happen with any other devices. My computer can ping my routers link local IPv6 address without issue with no firewall modifications needed, and the global IPv6 address of the home server works flawlessly. In addition, other devices can reach fe80::38%25 no problem.

Maybe someone else with more extensive knowledge of the windows firewall could tell me what's going on and what I'm doing wrong?
    Thanks.

Windows Version 10.0.18363.900

:)

thegamerguy56, Jun 21, 2020

2. OpenVPN Server / Internet Connection Sharing / Routing / IPV6

I'm trying to get an openvpn server running on windows 10 (pro), version 1607. It's working for ipv4, but not ipv6. I'm specifically trying to get it working with ipv4 and ipv6 to test for a problem with openvpn. I'm testing with ipv6-test.com and test-ipv6.com. The client and the server are connecting and both ipv4 and ipv6 are working between the client and the server (the client can ping server), but I can't get any ipv6 traffic to pass through the server.

I'm wondering about internet connection sharing. There don't appear to be any specific ICS settings that relate to this issue. Alternatively, it could be routing.

Any suggestions?

bimmerdriver, Jun 21, 2020
  3. IPv6 connectivities issue with window server 2012, 2016

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with IPv6 on Window Server 2012, 2016.

I use Window server on my cloud environment, provide IPv6 for Window Server via DHCP server with using DCHP6 Stateful.

My server have receive configure IPv6 ok, but the issue is that:

+ The inbound traffic from anywhere to the window server is OK

+ The outbound traffic from server to IPv6 site is not OK. When I ping from the server to other IPv6 site, it randomly request timeout to that site(can't connect to that site)

I don't think about a network issue, because, the Linux VM using IPv6 connect to that site OK at the same time. The problem is the mechanism Window Server handle IPv6.

Do anyone have the same issue and are there any solution for that problem?

Thanks!

NguyenBinh108, Jun 21, 2020
  4. Can't connect to home server until I ping myself from it (IPv6 only)

IPv6 connectivities issue with window server 2012, 2016

An additional information is that: window server 2008 work OK with IPv6 and doesn't have the above issue

NguyenBinh108, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

Can't connect to home server until I ping myself from it (IPv6 only)

1. Can't connect to home server until I ping myself from it (IPv6 only) - Similar Threads - Can't connect home

2. ipv6 connectivity is fine while ipv4 is not only ipv6 websites load I have a valid answer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ipv6 connectivity is fine while ipv4 is not only ipv6 websites load I have a valid answer...: Many users, many locked threads, not many solutions to this issue.Running SFC /Scannow fixed an issue with IPV6 connection so that at least servers using ipv6 would load websites.Wifi network would show connected with internet but also show "identifying". under CMD ipconfig...
  3. ipv6 connectivity is fine while ipv4 is not only ipv6 websites load I have a valid answer...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ipv6 connectivity is fine while ipv4 is not only ipv6 websites load I have a valid answer...: Many users, many locked threads, not many solutions to this issue.Running SFC /Scannow fixed an issue with IPV6 connection so that at least servers using ipv6 would load websites.Wifi network would show connected with internet but also show "identifying". under CMD ipconfig...
  4. ipv6 connectivity is fine while ipv4 is not only ipv6 websites load I have a valid answer...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can ping, but can't connect!

Can ping, but can't connect!: Hi guys. From today i can not use TunSafe VPN app anymore and i don't know why! I'm using WARP profile that tutorial is on reddit, when i press connect button, TunSafe connected and everything is fine also i can get ping from any website! BUT when i try to go to same...
  6. IPv6 connectivity no external connection

IPv6 connectivity no external connection: Despite getting email and google I can't install some programmes as I am told it is not online. Have checked the Wi-Fi connection but no result....
  7. ipv6 connectivity

ipv6 connectivity: hi all windows 10 users how to get ipv6 to connect acer E1-570. in my network and sharing it shows ipv4 internet connected but ipv6 says no internet connection do I need to have ipv6 connected and is it important my internet is fine l dont understand this any help welcome...
  8. IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity?

IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity?: Hi, I did a clean install of my Win10 Home about a week ago and it all turned out for the good. However, tonight while nosing around my Network Connections I notice I am connected to the Internet by Ethernet (Realtek PCle GBF Family Controller) which I thought I was since...
  9. Can ping ipv6 but not ipv4 on LAN

Can ping ipv6 but not ipv4 on LAN: I just moved into my business partner's home office and I am trying to get Dev (computer #1, Win10 Pro) to see DbServer's (computer #2, also Win10 Pro) Postgres Database to no avail so far. He has a Comacast router which seems to be using using IPv6 primarily. When I go to...
  10. OpenVPN Server / Internet Connection Sharing / Routing / IPV6

OpenVPN Server / Internet Connection Sharing / Routing / IPV6: I'm trying to get an openvpn server running on windows 10 (pro), version 1607. It's working for ipv4, but not ipv6. I'm specifically trying to get it working with ipv4 and ipv6 to test for a problem with openvpn. I'm testing with ipv6-test.com and test-ipv6.com. The client...