Windows 10: Can't connect to my PC from my Mac, Mac not showing up in my PC's network view

Discus and support Can't connect to my PC from my Mac, Mac not showing up in my PC's network view in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just finished building a PC workstation and am trying to connect my PC to my Macs to share files. I'm new to the PC. In addition to my new Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nate_Foster, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Can't connect to my PC from my Mac, Mac not showing up in my PC's network view

I just finished building a PC workstation and am trying to connect my PC to my Macs to share files. I'm new to the PC. In addition to my new Windows 10 workstation, I have a MacBook Pro and an iMac both running 10.14.5, and a Samsung laptop running Windows 7. I've never had success connecting from my Samsung laptop to any Mac on my network (they don't show up in the network panel), but I can connect from my Macs to the Samsung Laptop with out an issue. I've just dealt with it until now.

This file sharing problem has multiple issues:

1. No Mac shows up in my Workstation's network panel. My Samsung laptop shows up and I can connect to it, but the Samsung laptop can not see my workstation.
    2. I can only connect to my MacBook Pro by using the NetBIOS Name (\\MACBOOKPRO-XXXX) in the RUN command. I've set up a quick access shortcut to it, but I can't access files from dialog boxes in applications because my Mac does not show up in the network view or as a connected device.
    3. While my Workstation does show up in my Mac's Network view I can't connect to it. Double clicking on it brings up the finder window that says connection failed, I then click on "Connect As...". I click "Connect" on the pop-up dialog box and get the dialog box asking me to Enter my name and password for the server "COMPUTER NAME", but no username or password is accepted. I've tried my full name, short name, user folder name, Microsoft email, Microsoft alias, along with a myriad of combinations with different passwords and nothing works. The dialog box just shakes and won't accept my log-in info. I have been trying for days to get this to work and am beyond frustrated to get this very basic function of a computer to work.

I've tried wired and wireless and nothing changes. all of these issues still exist. I really need help with this!

:)

Nate_Foster, Jul 16, 2019
  2. Eagle51 Win User

Cannot connect to Mac OSX on network

Hey rtcary,
    I'm assuming you say you can't connect to the Mac, because it isn't showing in the Win10 PC > Networks. Have you tried manually accessing the Mac PC from your Win10 PC > File Explorer > Address Bar and type in \\Mac-PC-Name or \\Mac-IP-Address ?

I don't know what SMB version Mac OSX uses, but if you can access the Mac using the above, then on the Win10 PC check and see if maybe SMBv1 Server/Client got uninstalled by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Featrues On/Off and look for SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and click the Plus(+) to see all the options.

Can't connect to my PC from my Mac, Mac not showing up in my PC's network view [​IMG]

Eagle51, Jul 17, 2019
  3. Mac OSX 10.11.6 & Windows 10 Pro PC on Network

My MacBook Pro has no problem connecting to PC and accessing its shared files and folders.

From the PC I cannot log in or connect to the Mac & the Mac does not show up in the Windows File Explorer under the shared Homegroup folder.

When I try connecting from the Run menu typing in the Mac's network address, \\the Mac's IP, I get a dialog that appears to be from Windows.

Can't connect to my PC from my Mac, Mac not showing up in my PC's network view a41bbe57-922a-4cd4-b7fc-105370751c82?upload=true.png

I've tried my Mac username and password, my AppleID and password, and my PC username and password. In every case the dialog tells me the user name or password is incorrect - which it isn't - and does not allow me to connect to the Mac. I've tried posting
    on a Mac forum for help on this. I've tried step by step examples found by searching on the Internet. None of them work.

I don't know if this is a Mac problem or a PC problem. I'm inclined to think it is on the PC end because I can connect easily from the Mac and access all my shared files and folders that are on my PC - just not the other way around.

How in the world can I connect from my PC on a shared Homegroup with my Mac? Again, I have no problem connecting form my Mac to the PC on that shared local area network Homegroup.

Thanks for your help.

silvanet_1, Jul 17, 2019
  4. Steverido Win User

Can't connect to my PC from my Mac, Mac not showing up in my PC's network view

Connecting to a Mac

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone here networks with a PC!

I have upgraded my early 2011 17" MacBook Pro to Elcapitan and my custom PC to Windows 10. Prior to this the OSX was Yosemite and Windows 8.1. I could connect to the Mac from Windows no problem. Since upgrading both I can't connect to the Mac. I have tried to connect to El Capitan from another Windows 8.1 since to no avail. I have also reverted the OSX to Yosemite and still can't connect to the Mac from Windows PC.

I have followed the Network and sharing setup for the Mac to the letter from Apples website. I have checked forums and had Apple support check the setup remotely and it is fine.

Has anyone else had this issue and can help because I have run out of ideas now?

Thanks in advance.

Steverido, Jul 17, 2019
Thema:

Can't connect to my PC from my Mac, Mac not showing up in my PC's network view

1. Can't connect to my PC from my Mac, Mac not showing up in my PC's network view - Similar Threads - Can't connect Mac

2. Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network: Unable to connect my PC and Mac.I can see the PC from the Mac Finder, yet when connecting I'm asked for a username and password, which doesn't seem to be my login details. From what I've read it seems I need a network name and password? Yet this isn't the modem details is...
  3. Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network: Unable to connect my PC and Mac.I can see the PC from the Mac Finder, yet when connecting I'm asked for a username and password, which doesn't seem to be my login details. From what I've read it seems I need a network name and password? Yet this isn't the modem details is...
  4. Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Remote Desktop Connection from Mac to PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection from Mac to PC: I need help setting up a remote connection from my Mac to my PC. I've enabled the remote desktop on my PC and I've added my PC to the Microsoft Remote Desktop on my Mac but I cannot get them to connect....
  6. Remote Desktop Connection from Mac to PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Connection from Mac to PC: I need help setting up a remote connection from my Mac to my PC. I've enabled the remote desktop on my PC and I've added my PC to the Microsoft Remote Desktop on my Mac but I cannot get them to connect....
  7. Remote Desktop Connection from Mac to PC

8. Mac can't see PC on home network ?

Mac can't see PC on home network ?: My Mac running OSX Sierra can't see my Win-10 PC on my home network ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mac-cant-see-pc-on-home-network/d081296d-624c-46b3-ad75-fb7f781d8285
  9. trying to connect a shared folder from my PC with my MAC

trying to connect a shared folder from my PC with my MAC: Split from this thread. I'm trying to connect a shared folder from my PC with Windows 10 2004 with my MAC. I am not very tech savvy but I was able to save files to this folder and connect with my Mac to access and retrieve accounting files. Now I don't know what to do....
  10. Can not connect to a remote PC from MAC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can not connect to a remote PC from MAC: I have 2 Macs. I'm on my home network, haven't set-tup a Remote Desktop Gateway and used 127.0.0.1 instead. Connecting from the first one to a Win 10 PC works fine, connection from the second with identical settings results in "We couldn't connect to the remote PC because...