Windows 10: Can't connect to one specific wifi network others devices can

Discus and support Can't connect to one specific wifi network others devices can in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; OK this one is driving me crazy. I have an acer laptop with built in wifi. I purchased a USB wifi adapter which looked like an upgrade. I plugged it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by indyjason, May 17, 2019.

1. indyjason Win User

Can't connect to one specific wifi network others devices can

OK this one is driving me crazy.

I have an acer laptop with built in wifi. I purchased a USB wifi adapter which looked like an upgrade.
    I plugged it in and attempted to connect to my home wireless network (this was working as recently as yesterday). I keep getting the "can't connect". This laptop will connect to my phone when I turn on the hot spot and other devices in the house can connect to the home wireless network. It almost seems like for whatever reason that particular home network has become "corrupted" for lack of a better term, on my laptop.

Things I have tried that have not worked:

Removed the new USB wifi adapter and gone back to the one in the laptop that worked yesterday.
    Selected to forget the network and then attempted to reconnect to it fresh.
    Uninstalled the network adapter and rebooted.
    Rebooted the wireless router ATT gateway
    Changed network adapter drivers.

It is really odd that this is the only network it can't connect to where as every other device in the house can and the laptop connects fine to other wifi hot spots? Could there be some other location where that network info is stored in Win 10 and could be "corrupted" or something that I can delete? It almost seems like me plugging in that new USB wifi adapter somehow did something that messed everything up? Or maybe just a coincidence?

:)

indyjason, May 17, 2019
  2. Seany1212 Win User

Small business Wifi Network for 20-30 Devices?

I have been looking at this exact problem myself with the same range of numbers. I've found there are a wide range of choices and performance of the network very much depends on how much money you're willing to put into it.

Our wifi consisted of a single modem/router and the devices were only requesting internet access, the problem we were getting was either devices getting dropped off the network or just very little internet access at all when it was connected. From doing some studying I concluded that i could improve the performance by separating the roles, having a modem dealing with the connection to the outside world and DHCP and having a more powerful router handle the wireless devices (the router I was looking at was the model down from your suggested one, the Asus RT-N66U), you could probably go one further and add a low spec'd server box dealing with DHCP, DNS, etc. This was the cheapest option but left no real room for scaling up devices.

The other was as has been suggested, getting a wireless controller/gateway with multiple access points, obviously the cost scales higher but you also increase the overall capacity of the network with good performance, and usually with a good controller you can further add more access points to increase range/devices.

I think in this case it's very much you get what you pay for.

Seany1212, May 17, 2019
  3. Assigning a default WiFi connection

Is there any specific way to force Windows to connect to a certain WiFi connection?

Since my PC keeps connecting to a commercial WiFi hotspot rather than to my home network when it boots.

Things I have tried:

• "Connect to suggested WiFi hotspots" has been turned off
    • Home network has been set to "connect automatically" when connecting
    • Hotspot networks have been "forgotten" in the WiFi settings
    Is there anything else I can try to fix this problem?

Sakura2628, May 17, 2019
  4. Can't connect to one specific wifi network others devices can

WiFi network device

Hello Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We do understand your concern and we will be happy to help you regarding this.

Please try the following methods and check if that resolves the issue:

Method 1: Run the Internet Connections Troubleshooter and Network Adapter Troubleshooter

Step 1: Run the Internet Connections Troubleshooter

This troubleshooter is an automated Windows 10 inbuilt tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the Internet Connections on the computer. Perform these steps to run this tool and check if that helps.

• Press “Windows Logo” from the keyboard.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
    • Click on “Internet Connections”.
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Step 2: Run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter

This troubleshooter is an automated Windows10 inbuilt tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the Network Adapter Settings on the computer. It also checks if the network adapter drivers are up to date or not. It may
    also provide you some clue about the hardware failures happening to the Network Adapter. Perform these steps to run this tool and check if that helps.

• Press “Windows Logo” from the keyboard.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
    • Click on “Network Adapter”.
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Once after running the troubleshooters, check troubleshooting reports and let’s know the details. You may also try out the suggestions given by the troubleshooter and check if that helps.

You may also try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest Network Card Drivers from the computer/network card manufacturer’s website and check the status of the issue.

Method 2: Uninstall and Reinstall the Network Card Drivers.

Step 1: Uninstall the Network Adapter Drivers

• Right click on Start menu.
    • Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
    • Search for the Network Adapter from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then
      remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.
    After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Step 2: Go to the Computer or Network Card manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the Network Card model and then install it by following the instructions
    given in the website.

You may also refer to the articles given below, try the suggestions given in them and check if that helps:

Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/...3&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

(Applicable for windows 10 also.)

Please wait while the system check for the updates. If updates are found, click on Install updates.

Hope the information helps to fix the issue, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), May 17, 2019
Thema:

Can't connect to one specific wifi network others devices can

1. Can't connect to one specific wifi network others devices can - Similar Threads - Can't connect specific

2. WiFi connection issues for one specific network which works for all other devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi connection issues for one specific network which works for all other devices: HiI have a network connection issue with my work computer Dell Latitude 7440 running on Win 10 that puzzles me quite a lot:- At work, public places, hotels etc. does the WiFi connection work perfectly but at home does the computer disconnect from the WiFi every 15:th second.-...
  3. WiFi connection issues for one specific network which works for all other devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi connection issues for one specific network which works for all other devices: HiI have a network connection issue with my work computer Dell Latitude 7440 running on Win 10 that puzzles me quite a lot:- At work, public places, hotels etc. does the WiFi connection work perfectly but at home does the computer disconnect from the WiFi every 15:th second.-...
  4. WiFi connection issues for one specific network which works for all other devices

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Cannot connect to one specific wifi network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot connect to one specific wifi network: I am aware there are multiple threads with this same issue, I have already read through all of them and none of the fixes listed under those threads have solved my issueI was working on my computer last night when I was randomly disconnected from the internet and could not...
  6. "Can't Connect To This Network" one specific network

"Can't Connect To This Network" one specific network: The situation is as such, out of the blue the connection cut off and I was no longer able to reconnect to the wifi. I am able to connect to other networks through wifi, it is only this one particular network that I am unable to connect to. I have tried searching for fixes and...
  7. Can't connect to home WiFi other networks work, can connect to the WiFi on other devices

Can't connect to home WiFi other networks work, can connect to the WiFi on other devices: Hello there, I'm having troubles connecting to my home WiFi on both of my Windows 10 machines. I can connect on both computers to other networks, including a mobile 4G+ hotspot. When I try to connect to the network, it asks me for the password and I see the following...
  8. Can't connect to home WiFi other network work, can connect to the WiFi on other devices

Can't connect to home WiFi other network work, can connect to the WiFi on other devices: Hello there, I'm having troubles connecting to my home WiFi on both of my Windows 10 machines. I can connect on both computers to other networks, including a mobile 4G+ hotspot. When I try to connect to the network, it asks me for the password and I see the following...
  9. can connect to own wifi network, but can't connect to other wifi network

can connect to own wifi network, but can't connect to other wifi network: i noticed that the wifi logo change [ATTACH] please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-connect-to-own-wifi-network-but-cant-connect/1464a6dc-5529-475e-95ca-9264272676b6
  10. Can't Connect to One Specific Wifi Network

Can't Connect to One Specific Wifi Network: I've been unable to resolve this problem. I've applied the troubleshooting I've found by searching the internet with no luck. Maybe somebody can figure out what's gone wrong. I have a Microsoft Surface 2 laptop with Windows 10. The Wifi on my laptop works and has connected...