Windows 10: Can’t connect to or struggle to stay connected to wifi. Tried everything over a course of...

Discus and support Can’t connect to or struggle to stay connected to wifi. Tried everything over a course of... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My PC works perfectly well with Ethernet connection and is all good otherwise. However, if I want to connect wirelessly I am consistently met with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CamoCabbage, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Can’t connect to or struggle to stay connected to wifi. Tried everything over a course of...

My PC works perfectly well with Ethernet connection and is all good otherwise. However, if I want to connect wirelessly I am consistently met with “unable to connect to network” almost every single time. On very rare occasions I have been able to connect and stay connected for a few days but at the end of that blissful period I’m back where I started. Even when I am connected I often briefly disconnect and get a fraction of my actual wifi speed. I have tried everything I can find on the internet and nothing works. I don’t have access to an Ethernet cable and this is my only way of completing m

:)

CamoCabbage, Aug 4, 2021

2. laptop cant connect or stay connected to internet

And please do check that is the connection problem is occurring with that specific WiFi router or with others too? Try to connect using different router, and if you don't have a router try connecting it to WiFi hotspot and test it.
    I had that problem when my old-router stopped working I replaced it with new one and in a day my laptop HP-450 was unable to connect to it whereas all other devices were connected. At first I had the same feeling that my laptop was not working and tried every thing but nothing worked. Then I tried connecting to my WiFi hotspot and it worked even in long range. Then I called Dlink and got it replaced. With the new router I had no problems.
    Also do check the number of devices connected.

Vineet Reddy, Aug 4, 2021
  3. wabbles Win User
    When will the wifi connectivity problems be solved?

OK, so the Windows 10 engineers bollixed up the wifi connectivity part of the operating system. Everybody knows that by now. It seems they are making some progress in resolving it. Now, instead of seeing "Secured, No Internet" on your list of wifi connections, you see "Connected, Secured" EXCEPT no webpages will load. So you really aren't connected. It does seem to be a step in the right direction. Does anybody know when they plan on a full and complete repair of this screw up of epic proportions?

wabbles, Aug 4, 2021
  4. coffent Win User

Can’t connect to or struggle to stay connected to wifi. Tried everything over a course of...

How to connect to an existing wifi network?

As you suggested, I tried disabling the ethernet adapter and that caused wi-fi to connect, so the desktop wifi does work. Also, I accessed the router and changed the wireless network name (to wfCHS). Thanks!

However many problems are still unresolved:

My laptop behaves just as I want it to. Assuming the router has wifi turned on and the laptop has an ethernet connection, connection to the internet is by ethernet (no private network name), and the wi-fi connection is to my private network "wfCHS", but with no connection to the internet. (If I disconnect the ethernet cable, then wfCHS becomes connected to the internet and stays that way even if I reconnect the cable.) A directory listing shows both laptop and desktop under "Network". Great!

Things are rather different with the desktop. With Ethernet disabled, the desktop shows a wi-fi connection to the internet. Under Settings > Status it's called "wfCHS" but under Network Connections it's called wfCHS2. If I then re-enable the ethernet connection, the wifi connection stays enabled for a minute or two, then disconnects. Further, the ethernet connection is given the name wfCHS2 under both Status and Network Connections.

Why does the desktop give an (unwanted) name to the ethernet connection while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop disconnect its wi-fi connection a minute or so after the ethernet connection is enabled, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop give two different names to the wifi connection, depending on whether it's viewed under Status or Network Connections, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the laptop show the desktop under Network, while the desktop shows only itself?

Things are so convoluted that I'd be happy to start over. I've had the desktop "forget" the wi-fi connection as you suggested, then re-established it, but this hasn't helped. Can the ethernet connection also be "forgotten"?

Really appreciate the help you've given so far!

coffent, Aug 4, 2021
Thema:

Can’t connect to or struggle to stay connected to wifi. Tried everything over a course of...

1. Can’t connect to or struggle to stay connected to wifi. Tried everything over a course of... - Similar Threads - Can’t connect struggle

2. Can’t connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t connect to wifi: I don’t know what happened but i was on my pc and then i turned it off then later i turned it back on then. Then it won’t connect to the wifi i try connecting and it says checking system’s requirements and then when that happens it checks for a while then i put the password...
  3. Can’t connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can’t connect to wifi: I don’t know what happened but i was on my pc and then i turned it off then later i turned it back on then. Then it won’t connect to the wifi i try connecting and it says checking system’s requirements and then when that happens it checks for a while then i put the password...
  4. wifi will not stay connected

wifi will not stay connected: i am beyond over this i did have an ethernet connection but have moved and that is not an optionstart off connected it may last 2 min may last 10 then drops and reconnects sometimes this is any wifi network including mobile hotspots.. i have updated drivers, restore factory...
  5. Can’t connect to wifi

Can’t connect to wifi: I can not connect to my wifi because i get the error IP does not have a valid IP configuration and The default gateway is not available. Which is strage because every other device can connect to the wifi and it works fine. In addtion when i HotSpot my pc the hotspot inernet...
  6. Can’t connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t connect to wifi: Not sure why this happened as I had only been loading up a game but all of a sudden my internet stopped working. The wifi icon is gone from my taskbar and if I go to the action centre to see the networks, no networks show up and every time I try to go into the network...
  7. Can’t connect to WiFi? Tried everything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t connect to WiFi? Tried everything: Hello, I can’t connect to WiFi. All the other laptops in my house can connect but mine can’t. I troubleshooted the issue and it said to connect the Ethernet/there was an Ethernet issue. I don’t have a Ethernet and never used one. I tried network reset, didn’t work. I tried...
  8. Can’t connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can’t connect to wifi: My computer won’t connect to the internet. It says “windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver” I don’t know what to do!...
  9. Can’t connect to wifi

Can’t connect to wifi: First of all, i cant see the wifi icon in the taskbar. when i click on “show networks” in setting/internet nothing happens, just a textbox sayin “internet confuguration”, and it takes me to setting/internet again....
  10. WiFi Will not Stay Connected

WiFi Will not Stay Connected: I have a Asus Q200E and i have windows 10 on the computer. When using my Mac, it never has problems staying connected to the wifi so I know that is not the issue. I need help with this issue. Thanks...