Windows 10: Can't connect to Remote Desktop over the internet while VPN is active

Discus and support Can't connect to Remote Desktop over the internet while VPN is active in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I have my personal computer in my home which I have to connect from my laptop at work, I setup it everything to be able to connect over the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by alesyt0h, Jan 9, 2019.

1. alesyt0h Win User

Can't connect to Remote Desktop over the internet while VPN is active

Hello.

I have my personal computer in my home which I have to connect from my laptop at work, I setup it everything to be able to connect over the internet with Dynamic DNS and it works very good, the problem is when I connect to a VPN from my computer at home.
    The current remote desktop session remains connected even if I've changed the IP, but the problem is when I have to reconnect, because it can't connect again. I have to enter that computer via TeamViewer and turn off the VPN.

What can I do to prevent this and be able to connect always to my computer even if it has running a VPN?

Thank you very much.

:)

alesyt0h, Jan 9, 2019

2. WM6.5 - Remote desktop over VPN

So i am trying to access a server on my network using my MW6.5 remote desktop over a VPN-connection

These are the issues i have:

• Remote desktop connects locally but not remote
    • VPN is working for Active Sync but not Remote Desktop
    • I have tried to access the remote client using only Remote desktop, and also tried to start the VPN-connection manually but there is no go
    Remote desktop works perfectly locally but as soon as i am outside the network it don't work.
    I use the same VPN-settings as for my Active Sync (pushmail from my exchange) and i am also trying to access the exchange server... that is, the same IP is used for both Active Sync and Remote Desktop.

I would guess that since Active Sync activelly start the VPN-connection when it tries to sync my email Remote Desktop would do the same when i use it - but no!

I am using a localized HTC HD Mini (swedish), we have a cisco VPN-concentrator, server is running Windows Server 2008 R2. I would like to know how to make this work.
    (if i missed some info needed i will supply what is asked for)

Robert Österlund, Jan 9, 2019
  3. SUB
    SuB Win User
    Is it possible to share internet connection via remote desktop?

RDP is not capable of Internet sharing, so you can't share Internet using RDP with standard applications. There are many way to share Internet from a Windows box to another one. I suggest you to use VPN. You should do following steps:

1. Run VPN Server on your server with unlimited internet access
    2. Connect to VPN server from your limited computer

4. Can't connect to Remote Desktop over the internet while VPN is active

Need help Windows 10 VPN and Remote Desktop Connection

I have a Desktop PC in the office that is running Windows 10 Pro. I've setup a native Windows VPN on the desktop, so that I could Remote Desktop Connect to it through the Internet. It works fine in the office (I can connect to the VPN using my laptop and
    then RDC into the PC). However, I have 2 issues:

• When I connect to the VPN and RDC from home (not connected to the same WiFi network) RDC disconnects after 5 seconds.
    • The VPN ("Incoming Connections" icon in the Network Adapter window) disappears every time I restart my PC. Therefore I have to recreate the VPN every time I restart my PC.

Please advise, how could I solve this issue? I'll be happy with any support as I've been struggling with this for 2 weeks.

Thanks,

Saul

SaulVenskutonis, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

Can't connect to Remote Desktop over the internet while VPN is active

1. Can't connect to Remote Desktop over the internet while VPN is active - Similar Threads - Can't connect Remote

2. Remote desktop connection via VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop connection via VPN: I have remote desktop on both a laptop and a mini PC. Both have windows 11 pro. I am able to connect while on the same network. I'd like to understand how to connect remotely while on different networks via the VPN method....
  3. Unable to connect to internet over VPN.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to internet over VPN.: So, my issue is a bit tricky. I have my work VPN which is required for working on any company project. I was able to connect via it just before the weekend but now it has stopped working. When connected via the said VPN, I am unable to browse through any web browser or open...
  4. Unable to connect to internet over VPN.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect to internet over VPN.: So, my issue is a bit tricky. I have my work VPN which is required for working on any company project. I was able to connect via it just before the weekend but now it has stopped working. When connected via the said VPN, I am unable to browse through any web browser or open...
  5. Can't remote desktop to any server on the network over VPN Azure Vpn Client.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remote desktop to any server on the network over VPN Azure Vpn Client.: I had this issue before and tried to do a diagnostic. All the ports required are open and other users are able to connect. This device was able to connect for several months until now. Nothing seems to fix this issue other than a full wipe of the device which does not benefit...
  6. Can't remote desktop to any server on the network over VPN Azure Vpn Client.

Can't remote desktop to any server on the network over VPN Azure Vpn Client.: I had this issue before and tried to do a diagnostic. All the ports required are open and other users are able to connect. This device was able to connect for several months until now. Nothing seems to fix this issue other than a full wipe of the device which does not benefit...
  7. Remote Desktop on Mac OS not connecting over VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop on Mac OS not connecting over VPN: I am trying to log onto my work computer via remote desktop. I always use remote desktop at work to this computer because it doesnt have a montior. The computer is findable over the network and has remote desktop activated. But when I try to connect via remote desktop on my...
  8. Remote Desktop on Mac OS not connecting over VPN

Remote Desktop on Mac OS not connecting over VPN: I am trying to log onto my work computer via remote desktop. I always use remote desktop at work to this computer because it doesnt have a montior. The computer is findable over the network and has remote desktop activated. But when I try to connect via remote desktop on my...
  9. Remote Desktop on Mac OS not connecting over VPN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Can't connect to Remote Desktop over the internet while VPN is active

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't connect to Remote Desktop over the internet while VPN is active: Hello. I have my personal computer in my home which I have to connect from my laptop at work, I setup it everything to be able to connect over the internet with Dynamic DNS and it works very good, the problem is when I connect to a VPN from my computer at home. The current...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to connect to laptop on rdp when vpn is active

2. cant connect to server via rdp while vpn is active

3. cant connect remote desktop wile VPN running

4. cant connect to windows 10 remote desktop over internet,
  5. remote desktop over internet windows 10 vpn,
  6. cant connect to internet when vpn is on,
  7. Tenda MW6 cannot use remote desktop,
  8. cant rdp while on vpn,
  9. cant rdp out over internet