Windows 10: Can't connect to secure sites with ANY browser or app

Discus and support Can't connect to secure sites with ANY browser or app in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; OK, I'm on the second day of this. I CANNOT connect to any secure site, nor can the built-in stuff like signing into my Microsoft account, using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kyfho23, Aug 4, 2016.

1. kyfho23 Win User

Can't connect to secure sites with ANY browser or app

OK, I'm on the second day of this.

I CANNOT connect to any secure site, nor can the built-in stuff like signing into my Microsoft account, using the Media Creation Tool or anything that would go through an HTTPS connection. I CAN get to Windows Update for some reason. I cannot even use the search function here on tenforums (it's Google based, and wants the secure connection).

Neither System File Checker or DISM report any problems! (this really baffles me)

I am on my fourth clean install. Same thing has persisted. Note that the iso seems to be OK in all other things, which kind of knocks out corruption there.

On all of my attempts, the TLS settings in Internet Options/Advanced are marked as active.

What I have tracked down: My system, or systems since I've rebuilt this thing so many times, is missing several crucial dlls. The ones I know about are initpki.dll, gpkcsp.dll, sccbase.dll and slbcsp.dll. I have tried reregistering them several different ways. I finally just started searching on my computer for them by name (and I do have the option to check system files ticked) and it appears that they just aren't on any of the installations.

I have reset my modem/router. I have tried searching, but I have troubles there, too - all of the Microsoft forums are behind https addresses, Google also insists on https, and I can search a little on Bing, but most of the sites that come up that are legit also have https addresses.

I have NO idea why these things are not getting installed. And I don't know how to get them on my comp!

I'm using Windows 10 Anniversary Edition (and I don't have a copy of the non-anniversary edition to fall back on). It's Win 10 Pro 64-bit. I'm not using any security beyond Windows Defender (and the problem did not clear up when I turned the firewall off).

All of the reinstalls have been clean - I even used diskpart from the install disk command line to make sure they were formatted and clean and formatted NTFS. This whole mess started when I upgraded and forgot that my User folders were on a different drive. The last time I installed, the second drive was disconnected, so the system shouldn't even be aware of it. (I know, this is probably totally irrelevant, but I'm desperate.)

ANY help would be appreciated. And I'll do my best to answer any questions or follow any links...but remember, I CANNOT ACCESS HTTPS SITES!!!

Thanks in advance. This is weird. *Cool

:)

kyfho23, Aug 4, 2016

2. Can't connect to a few sites in any browser

Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back. Had to make an emergency trip.

Anyways, none of those work. The site is still not responding. Seeing as I don't think I've totally made this clear, it is JUST that site and ONLY that site that has the problem. And sometimes I CAN get to that site, but then two seconds later, I cannot.

ThaneHarris, Aug 4, 2016
  3. Can't connect to a few sites in any browser

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to us.

Please try the above methods and let us know the status. However, if the issue still persist, I would suggest you to go to the below link, download the latest updated network adapter driver and install the same.

Download Drivers and Manuals | Acer Official Site

Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Aug 4, 2016
  4. Can't connect to secure sites with ANY browser or app

1. Try on other device/computer on same wifi, working?
    2. checked Date/timezone Settings
    3. Try in safe mode with Networking. Working?
    4. do u have any antivirus installed y/n
    5. Reset IE to default

manish9009, Aug 4, 2016
  5. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Aug 4, 2016
  6. kyfho23 Win User
    1. I have no problems connecting to any site on my Android phone, which goes through the same router.
    2. The time and time zone are both right. I've also tried with the time zone set to central (I'm very, very close to the line between Central and Eastern.) No difference.
    3. Safe Mode with Networking gave me the same results (I can't connect to any secure site.)
    4. The only A/V and firewall I have are from Windows Defender. Turning both of them off doesn't change anything.
    5. I reset IE to defaults, including my personal settings (there weren't many as I've only been using this installation for about an hour and a half.) Again, no difference.

Thank you...I hadn't thought of the Safe Mode idea, and the other stuff I'd tried (but tried again). I don't know why, but the time thing, even though it's showing correctly, was something I focused on. But that still doesn't explain the missing dll's.

kyfho23, Aug 4, 2016
  7. kyfho23 Win User
    kyfho23, Aug 4, 2016
  8. kyfho23 Win User

MTU is 1492

And the Richard-slater.co.uk eventually did come up.

kyfho23, Aug 4, 2016
  9. Samuria Win User
    What should it be test on the same site? set your dns to open dns same as 7 Use OpenDNS

Samuria, Aug 4, 2016
  10. kyfho23 Win User
    Also, I tried pinging Google. 100% loss.

kyfho23, Aug 4, 2016
  11. kyfho23 Win User
    OpenDNS is another site I can't get to, even to validate the DNS entries on the adapter page (Network and Sharing Center/Ethernet Status/Properties).

kyfho23, Aug 4, 2016
  12. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Aug 4, 2016
  13. Can't connect to secure sites with ANY browser or app

manish9009, Aug 4, 2016
  14. kyfho23 Win User
    Um...I know it's not something that we notice...but both the link you posted and Samish's are https links.

I'm going to see if I can do something with Ubuntu. This is REALLY annoying. Like I said above, every time I've dealt with a corrupted file, the thing just won't operate. THIS will do everything but stuff that involves those DLL's I listed. Before I went wild and formatted, I'd tried Firefox and Chrome. In both cases, I couldn't get anywhere.

Firefox would give me the message that it couldn't add an exception for a site because of the protocol it was using (something that insisted on using a secure connection). In the case of both browsers, I get the feeling that they rely on Window's security (provided by those DLL's) to function. Which makes sense, since Microsoft would otherwise have a huge security hole with any browser that could download something from a site that could run on the computer. Again, speculation, but Windows protects itself even from third-party programs that use the https protocol.

I'll keep checking back. I'm going to use the Ubuntu disk and see if I can download another copy of 10 and try that.

Much thanks to all.

kyfho23, Aug 4, 2016
  15. kyfho23 Win User
    Duplicate of the above. Move along.

kyfho23, Aug 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't connect to secure sites with ANY browser or app - Similar Threads - Can't connect secure

2. google sites not working on any browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    google sites not working on any browser: the google sites pages loading screen never stops loading on every web browser I use. i have cleared cookies, cache, and changed to a different account but it didn't work...
  3. google sites not working on any browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    google sites not working on any browser: the google sites pages loading screen never stops loading on every web browser I use. i have cleared cookies, cache, and changed to a different account but it didn't work...
  4. PC is not connecting to any site

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC is not connecting to any site: Hi,My PC is connected to the modem via cable and there is internet connection but I cannot connect to any site.Can someone please advise on what I can do.Thanks....
  5. PC is not connecting to any site

PC is not connecting to any site: Hi,My PC is connected to the modem via cable and there is internet connection but I cannot connect to any site.Can someone please advise on what I can do.Thanks....
  6. "This site can't provide a secure connection".

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "This site can't provide a secure connection".: This issue occurs on all of my web browsers like google ,avast and avg secure browsers which is I cannot search anything but when I start my pc and I started google aswell, everything is running fine at first but when im in the middle of my online class or gmeet I get...
  7. Google sites not working in any browser!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Google sites not working in any browser!: Few months ago the old Internet explorer got infected with virus. I scanned and then at last disabled it. And few days later deleted the temporary files from file manager cleaner, just to clean up some space. Then what I noticed is : Google search and suggestions won't work,...
  8. unable to connect with secure sites

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to connect with secure sites: Even on account I have used for a long time I get the message "Hmmm cannot connect, server not found. what's my solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-with-secure-sites/fa302daa-dee3-45ac-beac-7c2c0d7e61aa
  9. "This site can't provide a secure connection" ERROR

"This site can't provide a secure connection" ERROR: Greetings All, I have an unusual issue with 2 browsers I am experimenting with. I have installed SlimJet and Opera (see picts) on my Dell Desktop which runs Win Xp Pro, 2gigs ram and plenty of hard drive space, 3.4 processor. When I attempt to go to some sites (THIS ONE...
  10. Browsers will not connect to DYNDNS sites

in Browsers and Email
    Browsers will not connect to DYNDNS sites: Hi I have a DNS account, the access works fine from my phone, tablet and mac. However when I try to connect via any browser on my Windows 10 machine its unable to connect. Any ideas? Cheers Phil 79672