Windows 10: "Can't Connect To This Network" - Desktop WiFi Woes

Discus and support "Can't Connect To This Network" - Desktop WiFi Woes in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This problem has been plaguing me for about a month now. My home's wireless network works just fine - my laptop has no problems connecting to it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jim_A85, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Jim_A85 Win User

"Can't Connect To This Network" - Desktop WiFi Woes

This problem has been plaguing me for about a month now. My home's wireless network works just fine - my laptop has no problems connecting to it, neither does my phone, the TV, the Amazon Firestick, my dad's PC out in the garage, my mom's laptop, and until about 6 weeks ago, my own personal Desktop.

I don't know what it was, but an update sometime in the last 6 weeks completely broke my desktop's ability to connect to the home's router. It did not break the desktop's ability to use the internet entirely - I'm using my smartphone's hotspot/tethering option to piggyback off of Verizon's internet. It'll do in a pinch but I need to fix my computer so it can connect to my router again. What used to work up till this week was using the system restore feature to simply roll back any updates, and then staving off the automatic update. However, after PG&E's last power shutdown, this option stopped working.

So, when I try to connect to my home's router, there is a long delay where it says "Checking Network Requirements" before it displays the message "Can't Connect To This Network." I have tried every option I can think of - uninstalling the drivers, forgetting the network, system restore, reinstalling Windows, you name it. Nothing works, or at least doesn't work for long. Reinstalling Windows works until whatever update broke my WiFi gets downloaded, leaving me at square one. I'm at my wit's end. I don't know what to do and it's driving me crazy. What frustrates me the most is twofold: 1 that no other device including my laptop which also uses Windows 10 has this problem, and 2 that completely starting over from scratch works, until the update comes in, so I know it's a software problem, not a hardware problem.

Can anyone help me? My desktop's WiFi adapter is IntelR Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168. I have my drivers completely up to date still doesn't help.

:)

Jim_A85, Oct 31, 2020
  2. brannell Win User

Can´t connect to my Wifi network

Hi everyone,

I can´t connect to my Wifi from my desktop with Window 10. I had an ethernet cable before and it worked perfectly but now I can´t connect my computer to the router through the cable anymore.

For some reason it detects my wifi network but when i try to connect it says i cant connect.

I followed a few tutorials online of how to fix it and still didn´t work.

any help please???

thanks in advance

Ramon

brannell, Oct 31, 2020
  3. coffent Win User
    How to connect to an existing wifi network?

As you suggested, I tried disabling the ethernet adapter and that caused wi-fi to connect, so the desktop wifi does work. Also, I accessed the router and changed the wireless network name (to wfCHS). Thanks!

However many problems are still unresolved:

My laptop behaves just as I want it to. Assuming the router has wifi turned on and the laptop has an ethernet connection, connection to the internet is by ethernet (no private network name), and the wi-fi connection is to my private network "wfCHS", but with no connection to the internet. (If I disconnect the ethernet cable, then wfCHS becomes connected to the internet and stays that way even if I reconnect the cable.) A directory listing shows both laptop and desktop under "Network". Great!

Things are rather different with the desktop. With Ethernet disabled, the desktop shows a wi-fi connection to the internet. Under Settings > Status it's called "wfCHS" but under Network Connections it's called wfCHS2. If I then re-enable the ethernet connection, the wifi connection stays enabled for a minute or two, then disconnects. Further, the ethernet connection is given the name wfCHS2 under both Status and Network Connections.

Why does the desktop give an (unwanted) name to the ethernet connection while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop disconnect its wi-fi connection a minute or so after the ethernet connection is enabled, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop give two different names to the wifi connection, depending on whether it's viewed under Status or Network Connections, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the laptop show the desktop under Network, while the desktop shows only itself?

Things are so convoluted that I'd be happy to start over. I've had the desktop "forget" the wi-fi connection as you suggested, then re-established it, but this hasn't helped. Can the ethernet connection also be "forgotten"?

Really appreciate the help you've given so far!

coffent, Oct 31, 2020
  4. legend383 Win User

"Can't connect to this network."

I just bought a wifi card for my windows 10 desktop (a tp-link archer t8e) and cannot connect to my network.

I have the wifi icon on the tray, I can get a list of available networks but after entering the wpa key for my network it just shows the message "Can't connect to this network."

Network diagnosis just suggested connecting to a wifi network (why didn't I think of that...), does anyone here have any clue as to what the problem could be?

UPDATE: Just noticed that the wifi adapter is being disabled briefly just after I enter the network password, no idea what's going on.

legend383, Oct 31, 2020
Thema:

1. "Can't Connect To This Network" - Desktop WiFi Woes - Similar Threads - Can't Connect Network

2. WiFi connection error,can't connect to this network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi connection error,can't connect to this network: Hi i recently upgraded my OS to Windows 10 from Windows 7 where I was able to use my realtek wireless network adapter 2.0 to connect to my mobile hotspot 2.4ghz , WPA2 - PERSONAL , but after the upgrade I wasn't able to connect to hotspot...
  3. Wifi says "Can't connect to this network"

Wifi says "Can't connect to this network": I have a Surface Go 2 with Windows 10. When connecting to a particular wifi network, I can sometimes connect to it, sometimes I can't. When I can't, I get a "can't connect to this network". What can I do to reliability connect to this network? The same is true of the...
  4. WIFI : Can't connect to this network!!

WIFI : Can't connect to this network!!: from 3 to 5 days whenever I tried to connect wifi network to my windows 10 pc it says cant connect to this network. how to resolve this issue?[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-cant-connect-to-this-network/9c38f3a7-9acd-47a9-8fff-cd22c42b80ae
  5. can connect to own wifi network, but can't connect to other wifi network

can connect to own wifi network, but can't connect to other wifi network: i noticed that the wifi logo change [ATTACH] please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-connect-to-own-wifi-network-but-cant-connect/1464a6dc-5529-475e-95ca-9264272676b6
  6. Can't connect to this network (WiFi)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't connect to this network (WiFi): I go to UT Austin and my apartment runs on MyCampusNet. It randomly stopped working today saying "can't connect to this network." I've tried many things such as: manually reinstalling & updating ac adapter drivers re-enabling adapter disabling firewalls flushing dns...
  7. Can't connect to a particular wifi network

Can't connect to a particular wifi network: laptop running Win 10 18362. Wifi Adaptor: Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn I have a newly installed internet connection with a new router. I can connect to the wifi using all my other devices but not the laptop, but I can connect to all other networks using this laptop. The wifi...
  8. Can't connect to WiFi Networks

Can't connect to WiFi Networks: I'm having a serious and ongoing issue connecting to Wifi networks. I've lost hours of productivity due to this issue and continue to do so. Please help me resolve these issues as they are preventing me from doing work and making the money I need to survive. ISSUE: When I...
  9. Can't connect desktop to wifi

Can't connect desktop to wifi: Moved house. Previously connected to internet by ethernet cable. Now want to connect to internet through wifi. CAn't work out how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/cant-connect-desktop-to-wifi/c55b1e9b-d5a5-453e-a582-d64657f44107
  10. Can't connect to WiFi network

Can't connect to WiFi network: I cannot connect my PC to WiFi. I need WiFi driver 107454