Windows 10: Can't connect to WAN with Ethernet but can over WiFi connection.

Discus and support Can't connect to WAN with Ethernet but can over WiFi connection. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there.I am trying to connect to a Wide Area Network with its own intranet for my work. I am in an outbuilding so the WiFi does not reach. I am using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sammileberg, May 13, 2021.

1. Can't connect to WAN with Ethernet but can over WiFi connection.

Hi there.I am trying to connect to a Wide Area Network with its own intranet for my work. I am in an outbuilding so the WiFi does not reach. I am using a WiFi booster with Ethernet connection, which works fine to access the Internet regularly from the outbuilding.However, accessing the company's WAN does not work with the Ethernet connection. I have tried several cables and this is not the issue. I am wondering if it's the settings on the computer, something to do with the DNS perhaps, that is blocking it. Using the actual WiFi connection from inside the main house allows me to connect to it

:)

sammileberg, May 13, 2021
  2. brannell Win User

Can´t connect to my Wifi network

Hi everyone,

I can´t connect to my Wifi from my desktop with Window 10. I had an ethernet cable before and it worked perfectly but now I can´t connect my computer to the router through the cable anymore.

For some reason it detects my wifi network but when i try to connect it says i cant connect.

I followed a few tutorials online of how to fix it and still didn´t work.

any help please???

thanks in advance

Ramon

brannell, May 13, 2021
  3. srdavis Win User
    Make Windows 10 connect/disconnect to WiFi based on Ethernet connection status

Steps:

1. Go to Control Panel\ All Control Panel Items\ Network and Sharing Center > click on 'Change adapter settings' then use the 'alt button' to show menus and select Advanced Settings...
    2. Under Connections section, select Ethernet, and use the arrows to the right to move Ethernet above WiFi.
    3. Click OK.

Windows will now prefer the Ethernet over the WiFi for connecting to the internet. This should apply for Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.

srdavis, May 13, 2021
  4. coffent Win User

Can't connect to WAN with Ethernet but can over WiFi connection.

How to connect to an existing wifi network?

As you suggested, I tried disabling the ethernet adapter and that caused wi-fi to connect, so the desktop wifi does work. Also, I accessed the router and changed the wireless network name (to wfCHS). Thanks!

However many problems are still unresolved:

My laptop behaves just as I want it to. Assuming the router has wifi turned on and the laptop has an ethernet connection, connection to the internet is by ethernet (no private network name), and the wi-fi connection is to my private network "wfCHS", but with no connection to the internet. (If I disconnect the ethernet cable, then wfCHS becomes connected to the internet and stays that way even if I reconnect the cable.) A directory listing shows both laptop and desktop under "Network". Great!

Things are rather different with the desktop. With Ethernet disabled, the desktop shows a wi-fi connection to the internet. Under Settings > Status it's called "wfCHS" but under Network Connections it's called wfCHS2. If I then re-enable the ethernet connection, the wifi connection stays enabled for a minute or two, then disconnects. Further, the ethernet connection is given the name wfCHS2 under both Status and Network Connections.

Why does the desktop give an (unwanted) name to the ethernet connection while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop disconnect its wi-fi connection a minute or so after the ethernet connection is enabled, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop give two different names to the wifi connection, depending on whether it's viewed under Status or Network Connections, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the laptop show the desktop under Network, while the desktop shows only itself?

Things are so convoluted that I'd be happy to start over. I've had the desktop "forget" the wi-fi connection as you suggested, then re-established it, but this hasn't helped. Can the ethernet connection also be "forgotten"?

Really appreciate the help you've given so far!

coffent, May 13, 2021
Thema:

Can't connect to WAN with Ethernet but can over WiFi connection.

1. Can't connect to WAN with Ethernet but can over WiFi connection. - Similar Threads - Can't connect WAN

2. Want to share wifi connection over ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Want to share wifi connection over ethernet cable: Objective? I'm trying to set up my Windows 10 computer to share it's wifi connection with another computer that is connected to it through an ethernet cable. Most instructions I've found on this topic tell you to get the wifi properties" > "sharing" tab. Although at that...
  3. Want to share wifi connection over ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Want to share wifi connection over ethernet cable: Objective? I'm trying to set up my Windows 10 computer to share it's wifi connection with another computer that is connected to it through an ethernet cable. Most instructions I've found on this topic tell you to get the wifi properties" > "sharing" tab. Although at that...
  4. How to connect my ethernet through WAN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to connect my ethernet through WAN: I wanna use my ethernet for all my devices for as many ports as i have but the fourth post says WAN on it and when i connect it, it says connected but shows on wifi rather than ethernet, how do i solve this?...
  5. How to connect my ethernet through WAN

How to connect my ethernet through WAN: I wanna use my ethernet for all my devices for as many ports as i have but the fourth post says WAN on it and when i connect it, it says connected but shows on wifi rather than ethernet, how do i solve this?...
  6. Wifi connection WAN miniports

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi connection WAN miniports: Hi! I use windows 10 and it turned out that recently my computer has stopped browsing any pages. Internet is connected, router is fine, all the devices work well and just my computer always displays WAN mini ports which I think inhibit dns server to open pages and following...
  7. Wifi connection WAN miniports

Wifi connection WAN miniports: Hi! I use windows 10 and it turned out that recently my computer has stopped browsing any pages. Internet is connected, router is fine, all the devices work well and just my computer always displays WAN mini ports which I think inhibit dns server to open pages and following...
  8. Wifi connection WAN miniports

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Ethernet or Wifi connection

Ethernet or Wifi connection: If I am connected to the internet with both the ethernet and WIFI connections, how can I tell which one is in use?Is it possible that they are both being used?Will my PC automatically choose the better one?...
  10. Can no longer share wifi connection over ethernet to other PC

Can no longer share wifi connection over ethernet to other PC: Hello I'm hoping someone can kindly help me. I have a temporary setup where my laptop, which can connect to WiFi, shares its internet connection with my desktop over an ordinary ethernet cable plugged directly into both computers. This is my only way to have internet on...