Windows 10: Can't connect to WiFi on Dell XPS Studio 1640

Discus and support Can't connect to WiFi on Dell XPS Studio 1640 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My laptop is nearly 7 years old and came with Vista. I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional then to Windows 10 in August 2015. Now all of a sudden, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IndieP, May 15, 2017.

1. IndieP Win User

Can't connect to WiFi on Dell XPS Studio 1640

My laptop is nearly 7 years old and came with Vista. I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional then to Windows 10 in August 2015. Now all of a sudden, it will not connect to WiFi, at home, or in a public place. My other laptop, iPad and Samsung Note 8 Tablet have no issues.

Device manager says all is well and working properly with Intel Wireless Link 5100 adapter.
    I've performed an upgrade (keep files and apps) but to no avail.
    Executed certain commands in Command Promt, but no luck.
    Computer recognizes the router but after entering security key says "cant connect to this network."
    Even downloaded via other computer updated driver but when executing install, doesn't change the original.
    Can't run driver update from Intel due to no connection

Is the Intel Wireless Link 5100 adapter an embedded chip on the computer with a driver being a part of the Windows 10 operating system, (2 separate things), or is the Wireless Link 5100 the driver itself? In other words, is a driver added to the embedded Wireless Link 5100 Adapter to make it work?
    Thanks

:)

IndieP, May 15, 2017
  2. Fazlu.R Win User

No internet access over hosted network in windows 10...

The hosted network are set using netsh commands after upgrading to windows 10..

the phone got connected to hosted network but internet not being shared...the original connection already set to be shared with wlan..

pls help to resolve..

Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Dell Studio XPS 1640

Fazlu.R, May 15, 2017
  3. Issue with IDT Audio Card on Dell Studio XPS 1640

I have upgraded my Dell Studio XPS 1640 to Windows 10 but the Audio is not working at all.

It works with Headphones but not from speakers.

I have tried to reinstall drivers but doesn't workout. Tried updating driver but doesn't work.

Please help.

Jaininder Alavadhi, May 15, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

You need to go into Device Manager and remove device and driver then reboot and let Windows install the default driver. If you went to Creators Update as an upgrade, you may have to do a clean install with the Windows 7 Pro license when asked for it during install.

bro67, May 16, 2017
  5. IndieP Win User
    I had already tried that and it didn't work, but tried it again just to make sure, but still no success.

IndieP, May 16, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    You need to install the latest Intel Proset driver for Windows 8.1 or the Windows 7 driver.

bro67, May 16, 2017
  7. IndieP Win User
    I'd already ran both the Intel

Wireless_17.0.3_De164
    Wireless_19.50.1_PROSet_Win10

But again, no luck. I assume these are self installed, but perhaps they are not the correct ones, or, I'm not doing something correctly.

IndieP, May 16, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

That is the correct driver if Windows installed it. The package that shows on Intel's website does not necessarily mean that they have updated the driver. Especially for a older wifi card. If it is a mini-PCIe card. You should be able to swap it out for the 726x series. You will not get Bluetooth, but it will work. Now if you want something better, just disable the internal Wifi card and use a USB adapter for wifi. I doubt that it could run the internal 8000 series PCIe mini-cards.

You may want to check to make sure that the card did not get disabled on the bios or the Fn key get pressed to turn off the wifi.

bro67, May 17, 2017
  9. Samuria Win User
    Can you connect to an unencrypted network old cards carnt understand new encryption but will connect to open networks or wep ones

Samuria, May 17, 2017
  10. IndieP Win User
    I'll give these things a try a little later when I have more time.
    Thanks guys.

IndieP, May 17, 2017
  11. IndieP Win User
    OK guys, nothing I seem to do works. In fact I've just completer a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, but the problem remains.
    Just to be clear;
    1 Throughout this problem, all the available networks are shown by clicking on the Wi Fi icon.
    2 After entering the security key, it says, "Can't connect to this network."
    3 I even tried pushing the button on the router. The computer says it's trying to get the settings from the router, then the
    Same message, "Can't connect to this network".

IndieP, May 18, 2017
  12. Fafhrd Win User
    Can't connect to WiFi on Dell XPS Studio 1640 [​IMG]

It is a Mini card adapter - deprecated because it is old now, but still should work unless it has a fault.

It could have become unseated (unlikely), or the contacts could have corroded due to condensation or atmospheric deposits, or just a component on the adapter or on the motherboard may have failed.

The simplest action is to remove the back of the laptop, and gently clean the adapter card's contacts using a pencil eraser, or with a Q-tip and electronic contact cleaner fluid.

Youtube has plenty of videos showing disassembly, and the search has links to Dell service manuals that describe the process:

Dell XPS Studio 1640 disassembly - Google Search

Fafhrd, May 18, 2017
  13. IndieP Win User

I implemented your suggestion, removed the adapter, and cleaned the contacts, but the problem still remains. I talked with a Microsoft Tech yesterday who thought that the most recent edition of Windows 10 was the problem. Apparently Microsoft has been having compatibility issues with Windows 10 (the newer versions), and is addressing the issue. The tech downloaded an older version of Windows 10 thinking that may solve the problem, but it didn't.
    I have another phone call scheduled Monday morning to see if if the older version has solved the problem, if not, he said theirs one more thing that he can try. So, we'll see what happens Monday morning.
    I did mention to him that even though it did work with the older version, future updates would bring it up to the newer version and present the same problem, but he said by that time, Microsoft should have a handle on it. Anyway, in my case, specific versions do not seem to be the problem.

IndieP, May 19, 2017
  14. IndieP Win User
    Update.
    I removed the WiFi Link 5100 adapter and cleaned the contacts as suggested, but no luck.
    Microsoft Tech had me install an earlier version of Windows 10. After doing so, I also lost Bluetooth capabilities.
    They then had me install Windows 7 to get the original drivers back, but still no Wi Fi and Bluetooth.
    Their idea is to fix the problem with Windows 7 then work back up the line to Windows 10
    I did get an Ethernet cable and was able to get online.
    I was able to download a driver for Bluetooth, which is now working, but Wi Fi is still out.
    I have another call-back on Thursday with Microsoft, so we'll see what happens

I'm really due for a computer upgrade, (I'm into video), but at this point, Windows 10 is not giving me much encouragement. I'm also led to believe that Apple is moving away from video production, remaining with the ATI Radeon Graphcs Card line, and dropping the Navida Graphics card lineup, (which Adope embraces), so I'm not sure where I'll end up, lol.

IndieP, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't connect to WiFi on Dell XPS Studio 1640 - Similar Threads - Can't connect WiFi

2. Dell XPS - Wifi driver not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell XPS - Wifi driver not working: Hi,I have a Dell XPS, the wifi driver is not working. I have been in contact with both Dell and Intel about this. Intel advised that I should download the Dell driver rather than the generic driver provided by Intel. However, it seems that a Microsoft driver is being...
  3. Dell XPS - Wifi driver not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell XPS - Wifi driver not working: Hi,I have a Dell XPS, the wifi driver is not working. I have been in contact with both Dell and Intel about this. Intel advised that I should download the Dell driver rather than the generic driver provided by Intel. However, it seems that a Microsoft driver is being...
  4. how do I enable vt-x on a dell studio xps pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I enable vt-x on a dell studio xps pc: I have a dell studio xps with an intel i7 920 prossecor and I want to enable the vt-x feature so that i can run win 10 on virtual box https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-enable-vt-x-on-a-dell-studio-xps-pc/58df0e68-614b-4dfe-b743-f862ff58017e
  5. WiFi Driver vanished in Windows 10 Dell XPS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi Driver vanished in Windows 10 Dell XPS: I was watching a film and minding my own business when my Wi-Fi connection simply disappeared, vanished. No reason. I am trying to get it back. The Wi-Fi driver is missing. I have tried various trouble shooters and reset the Network settings. I am not very skilled at these...
  6. internet dell XPS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    internet dell XPS: Hi I just bought the Dell XPS 13 7390 I7, and somehow i missed out that it didnt come with Windows 10. It came with Ubuntu Linux. I decided that it was probably quicker to download and install Windows 10 via the official website, and did so using the USB method. I removed...
  7. Dell Studio XPS 9100 Upgrade to Windows 10

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Dell Studio XPS 9100 Upgrade to Windows 10: I have read conflicting reports about whether or not you can upgrade a Dell Studio XPS 9100 to Windows 10. If I purchase a Windows 10 download from Microsoft Store and it doesn't work, can I get my money back?...
  8. Dell XPS 15 2019- Wifi Speed issue

Dell XPS 15 2019- Wifi Speed issue: I just received Dell XPS 15 with i9 processor , 32 GB Ram. I bought this laptop from HIDevolution and got the Wifi card changed from Killer to Intel AX200. I'm suppose to get 275 mbps download speed as per my ISP contract. My iPhone, iPad and another Windows laptop is showing...
  9. Wifi issues with Dell XPS 13

Wifi issues with Dell XPS 13: Hello, my problem is I could connect to wifi for a very few minutes and then the yellow triangle sign started to appear. After that, I tried to connect to other networks but no network option found. I went to Settings, and my laptop froze when I pressed “Network..”. The...
  10. Dell 2710 xps

Dell 2710 xps: I have tried to install windows 10 numerous different ways. it installs perfectly, but i have no internet access. it recognizes the internet, but won't allow connection....has anyone been able to install windows 10 on the 2710 including use of the internet 16905

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i connect to internet from my dell xps

2. my dell xps pc wont hook to wifi

3. xps wifi says cant connect

4. add broadband adapter dell studio xps 1640,
  5. dell xps wont connect to wifi after windows 10 upgrade,
  6. DELL STUDIO XPS WIFI DRIVER ERROR,
  7. dell XPS I7 cant connect to wifi