Windows 10: Can't connect to WiFi on laptop

Discus and support Can't connect to WiFi on laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! I am student at university and am having trouble connecting to the WiFi from my laptop (my phone connects just fine). Every time i try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AvataraRamkilawan, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Can't connect to WiFi on laptop

Hello!

I am student at university and am having trouble connecting to the WiFi from my laptop (my phone connects just fine). Every time i try to connect, it either: 1) Says "Can't connect to this network" 2)Takes forever trying to connect but doesn't actually connect; when i look at my network adapter it say "attempting to authenticate". On the odd occasion that it does connect (an hour later), the connection drops after some time and i have to keep trying to reconnect multiple times until it finally works ages later. If i use my phone (which connects fine to the WiFi) to mobile hotspot my laptop, it works perfectly fine and then i can use the internet on my laptop - but i still would like to use the WiFi directly.

I use a proxy server to connect to the internet and I'm 100% sure that my username and password are correct and working.

Running the troubleshooter doesn't help: it either tells me that i need to plug in my Ethernet cable or i need to restart the router - luckily there is a router in my room (I live on campus) and I've reset it but that doesn't help my problem. I've tried a couple fixes. I've tried forgetting the network and trying to re-connect but this failed - when i tried to reconnect it would not accept my username and password and i kept getting "Can't connect to this network". I've also tried network resets, updated my drivers, rolling back my drivers, uninstalling drivers and restarting my laptop. I've changed the settings so that my laptop doesn't turn off my drivers to conserve power. I've made sure the WLAN Autoconfig is actually running and automatic. My Firewall isn't restricting my internet access and wireless LAN is enabled on my BIOS.

In terms of software changes, i did update my windows 10 (very long after the update came out) around 2 - 3 weeks ago, which is when i started having these issues. I checked for updates for my actual laptop (Dell Inspiron 3543) and installed them and that helped somewhat but this problem still persists. Any constructive advice would be welcome.

Thank you

:)

2. Cannot connect to wifi with laptop

Hi,

We would like to isolate this issue that you're having right now. We suggest that you try the steps below:

• Go to Network and Sharing Center.

• At the right pane, click Change adapter settings.

• Right click on your connection name (WiFi name) and Properties.

• Click the Configure... button.

• Go to Power Management tab.

• Uncheck/disable the radio button for "Allow this device to turn off this device to save power".

• Restart the PC (Important)

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Sep 6, 2019
  3. laptop can't find wifi but connects with ethernet cable

Please try these troubleshooting steps that may help.

1. Make sure the router SSID broadcast is on.
    2. Change the wifi channel to see if it resolves the problem.
    3. Enter the SSID and WPA2 password manually and see if the laptop connects.
    4. Temporarily turn off the encryption.
    5. We go into device manager & check updates for wifi drivers, we may need to simply update the driver.
    6. We go to Settings - Network & Internet - Status - Change Adapter Options, then right-clicked 'Ethernet' and disabled it. We do the same with wifi. Then we (with Ethernet still disabled) enabled wifi. It should re-connect to your wifi after a while.
    7. We have to disconnect our Ethernet cable from our laptop and follow the steps:
      Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Manage Wireless Networks and remove all wireless connections by right click on it and select Remove network from the drop down menu. After doing this, close the windows and scan for the wifi networks.
      Click on the available network and select connect. After a while, we will be asked to give a password for our wifi connection. Type the password and click on connect button. And now will be connected to our wifi network via wireless.
    8. First is to disconnect the internet cable from the laptop then uninstall/reinstall the wifi adapter.
      Go to Device Manager and uninstall the wifi adapter.
      Once uninstalled, reboot the laptop and it should reinstall the driver automatically.
      After the reboot do try connecting to your wireless network again.
      If all these will not work, do also make sure that the wireless adapter is enabled. Depending the model of your laptop there should be key combinations on how to enable/disable it.

Daisy Zhou, Sep 6, 2019
  4. karyeowl Win User

Can't connect to WiFi on laptop

Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed to connect all the other 2 PCs to have the shared printer.

I also have 2 more laptops (both Asus with the same Windows 10 1803) connected via WIFI. Performed all the same steps as per the desktops, but I was not able to access PC1. I was able to view all the 3 desktops from the file explorer, but I just can't access all the desktops. However, I was able to access the Asus laptops from desktop PC1.

Anyone able to assist on this matter? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

karyeowl, Sep 6, 2019
Thema:

Can't connect to WiFi on laptop

1. Can't connect to WiFi on laptop - Similar Threads - Can't connect WiFi

2. Can't connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to wifi: Split from this thread. I am also having the same problem, In that it will identify the SSID for the hotspot but the SSID for the Home Network it is absent. it just does not appear. it is also that way for my work laptop also running Windows 7, also connects to hotspot but...
  3. Can't connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to wifi: I cannot connect to internet on my windows 11 laptop. I've had my laptop for more than 2 years and one day it just stopped connecting to wifi. I've tried everything a network reset, forgot the wifi, restarted my pc, shut it off, and I even did a hard reset and I can't even...
  4. My laptop can't connect to WiFi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop can't connect to WiFi: Hi, My laptop no longer connects to Wifi. When it rarely connects, it doesn't last long and the signal is always very low, from all networks. I can connect the same networks on other portable devices. Currently, I can only access the Internet through a cable connected...
  5. My laptop can't connect to WiFi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop can't connect to WiFi: Hi, My laptop no longer connects to Wifi. When it rarely connects, it doesn't last long and the signal is always very low, from all networks. I can connect the same networks on other portable devices. Currently, I can only access the Internet through a cable connected...
  6. My laptop can't connect to WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. My laptop can't connect to particular WiFi

My laptop can't connect to particular WiFi: My laptop suddenly can't connect to home WiFi, the Wifi able to connect to other device and my laptop can connect to portable Wifi and other Wifi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-cant-connect-to-particular-wifi/d3b13c42-b99b-456c-adb6-53b76f426d32
  8. Laptop can't connect to WiFi

Laptop can't connect to WiFi: Hi! I slept for 4 hours and left my laptop on sleep. After I wake up, I open it and the laptop can't connect to the internet anymore.The solutions provided within...
  9. Laptop suddenly can't connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop suddenly can't connect to wifi: Hi, I'm suddenly having issues connecting to WIFI network on one laptop. On the other laptop there is no such problem. I have tried all the basic stuff such as restarting the laptop and the wifi router, I tried forgetting the wifi data and adding my wifi network again,...
  10. Can't Connect to Wifi

Can't Connect to Wifi: Hello, I've been having a problem with my network adapters. It's been days since I have been experiencing not veing able to connect to my wifi and I believe that it has nothing to do with my internet connection since it works on other devices perfectly. I tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant access wifi on laptop