Windows 10: Can't connect to wifi ONLY when logged in

Discus and support Can't connect to wifi ONLY when logged in in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This appears to just be a problem with Windows 1903, but I don't have many other computers to test it with. I'm getting this error on a Dell Precision... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Zepfanman, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Zepfanman Win User

Can't connect to wifi ONLY when logged in

This appears to just be a problem with Windows 1903, but I don't have many other computers to test it with. I'm getting this error on a Dell Precision 3520 and 3540. The 3520 has a Qualcomm QCA61x4A wifi card, and 3540 has Intel AC 9560.

When logged into Windows, if I choose our work network SSID, it prompts for user/password, then it gives the error “Can't connect to this network”. If I log out of that user and do the exact same thing from the login page, it connects just fine.

Also, while logged in, if I plug in a wired network connection then unplug it and then try the wifi, it works.

What is causing the wifi to fail only in these circumstances? My wifi is WPA2, 802.11n, PEAP.

I've made sure the wifi drivers are up to date, as well as the BIOS and all other drivers through Dell SupportAssist. I've tried doing a driver uninstall/reinstall, as well, and used the network Troubleshooting program in Windows.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Zepfanman, Jun 7, 2019

2. Student WiFi Log In

Hi Sean,

The authentication failed error that you encounter when connecting to a local WiFi can be related to a change on the device firmware caused by the recent update. As an initial step to fix your concern, we suggest that you reset the connection by following
    these steps:

• Click the Start menu

Can't connect to wifi ONLY when logged in 76ecd259-eecc-43ef-8f35-85d4902fb51c.png
    • Select settings

Can't connect to wifi ONLY when logged in 7d7617dc-4119-43ba-82e0-4d50cc14d0b2.png
    • Select Network & Internet.
    • Click on WiFi and select Manage known networks.
    • Under the list of networks, select the affected WiFi connection.
    • Select Forget.

Once you're done, reconnect to the WiFi and check if the issue persist.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, Jun 7, 2019
  3. wabbles Win User
    When will the wifi connectivity problems be solved?

OK, so the Windows 10 engineers bollixed up the wifi connectivity part of the operating system. Everybody knows that by now. It seems they are making some progress in resolving it. Now, instead of seeing "Secured, No Internet" on your list of wifi connections, you see "Connected, Secured" EXCEPT no webpages will load. So you really aren't connected. It does seem to be a step in the right direction. Does anybody know when they plan on a full and complete repair of this screw up of epic proportions?

wabbles, Jun 7, 2019
  4. simrick Win User

When will the wifi connectivity problems be solved?

Hi Wabbles and welcome to Tenforums.

I've got 4 systems connecting via wireless; all adapters are different makes; all have zero issues, and two of them are old (wireless-G only). Most every issue I have seen with wireless connections has been driver-related. (Or, impending router failure.) I would suggest identifying your adapter model/make, and searching for different drivers that you can try out. And, sometimes an older driver works better than a newer one (just had this issue on a system I was working on yesterday). Also, verify you have these same connection issues when connecting to different routers, just to rule that out.

simrick, Jun 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't connect to wifi ONLY when logged in - Similar Threads - Can't connect wifi

2. NO wifi connection, only ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NO wifi connection, only ethernet: Background - I recently got a PC and a screen monitor Separately. I have a Huawei Mate GT monitor and some custom built beginner gaming PC i got from FB marketplace Intel CPU, MSI GTX680 - the seller said i could just connect to the wifi and Bluetooth if i go on settings...
  3. NO wifi connection, only ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NO wifi connection, only ethernet: Background - I recently got a PC and a screen monitor Separately. I have a Huawei Mate GT monitor and some custom built beginner gaming PC i got from FB marketplace Intel CPU, MSI GTX680 - the seller said i could just connect to the wifi and Bluetooth if i go on settings...
  4. NO wifi connection, only ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. I can't log-on to Windows when WiFi is connected to my work's secure WiFi network.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I can't log-on to Windows when WiFi is connected to my work's secure WiFi network.: I can't log-on to Windows when WiFi is connected to my work's secure WiFi network. I have to manually disconnect WiFi each time to log-on, and then reconnect once I'm in.The problem is only with the work network - home WiFi presents no problem. I'm using Windows 10.Any help...
  6. I can't log-on to Windows when WiFi is connected to my work's secure WiFi network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't log-on to Windows when WiFi is connected to my work's secure WiFi network.: I can't log-on to Windows when WiFi is connected to my work's secure WiFi network. I have to manually disconnect WiFi each time to log-on, and then reconnect once I'm in.The problem is only with the work network - home WiFi presents no problem. I'm using Windows 10.Any help...
  7. I can't log-on to Windows when WiFi is connected to my work's secure WiFi network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Blue screen only when connected to wifi

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen only when connected to wifi: Hi there . My laptop suddenly throws blue screen of death when uts connected to internet via wifi. The screen also shows , WHEA UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I tried to uninstall all the drives from network adaptors and restart , it dosent seem to work. I also resetted my...
  9. Can't connect to wifi only from one room.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't connect to wifi only from one room.: The signal is the same from all rooms and other devices work just fine from anywhere. When i try to connect my laptop tho, it only works from one room. When i try otherwise it says "can't connect to this network". Already tried to reinstall wireless adapter drivers, mess with...
  10. Can't Connect to Wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Connect to Wifi: Hello, I've been having a problem with my network adapters. It's been days since I have been experiencing not veing able to connect to my wifi and I believe that it has nothing to do with my internet connection since it works on other devices perfectly. I tried...