Windows 10: Can't connect via Ethernet. No problems with connecting via Wi Fi

Discus and support Can't connect via Ethernet. No problems with connecting via Wi Fi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have no problems connecting my HP All in One to Wifi but I can not connect with Ethernet hardwired. Please help. Thank you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WendyTraynham, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Can't connect via Ethernet. No problems with connecting via Wi Fi

I have no problems connecting my HP All in One to Wifi but I can not connect with Ethernet hardwired. Please help. Thank you

:)

WendyTraynham, Jun 28, 2021
  2. lasot Win User

How to indicate wi-fi connection on taskbar/desktop with ethernet on

Using 'Select which icons appear...' I'm only able to toggle this one network icon. And it switches from wired to wireless, depending on whether the ethernet cable is plugged in.

Of course, the info is there, I just got used to not having to click on the icon. I always just looked at the corner of the screen every few minutes to make sure the wi-fi was still connected and ready in case my wired connection failed.

It's just strange for me that in the same scenario (ethernet connection + wi-fi active), Windows 7 would show the wireless icon (and it wasn't possible to change it either AFAIK), and Windows 10 shows the other one *sarc

Oh well, it's not the end of the world if it's impossible to change it, but any other suggestions on how to display the wi-fi state on the taskbar (or desktop) are still welcome.

lasot, Jun 28, 2021
  3. lasot Win User
    How to indicate wi-fi connection on taskbar/desktop with ethernet on

Below you can find my original post from 2 days ago. Since I got 0 responses, I don't think it's possible to set WIndows 10 the way I wanted. I've decided to change my question:

Is there a way to see if the computer is connected to a wi-fi network while the ethernet cable is also plugged in, without having to click on the cable network icon on the taskbar? I first wanted to switch the cable icon to the wi-fi one, but as it doesn't seem possible, maybe there is a way to create some indicating icon on the desktop? Running some external program that would display an additional wi-fi icon on the taskbar? Or any other solution?

original post:

Hello everybody, this is my first post here.

I've had a Windows 10 desktop computer for several days now. I have two different internet connections (one is through an ethernet cable, and the other one is wireless) and I usually use both of them simultaneously. I play an online game and I need these two connections to be active at the same time. The ethernet connection is my primary one and the wireless one is kind of an "emergency" connection. The ethernet adapter has a priority over the wi-fi adapter (seems to be a default system setting and I want it this way). The ethernet connection sometimes disconnects at random times, so if it happens I just unplug the cable and reconnect through the wireless connection until I see that the first one has reconnected. I can't find any way to achieve the following:

While both connections (ethernet and wi-fi) are active, I want to see the wi-fi network icon on my taskbar, instead of the ethernet icon.

This was perfectly possible on my old laptop with Windows 7, which I was using until I bought the new desktop computer. The ethernet adapter had a priority over the wi-fi, just like now. The ethernet cable was always plugged in and by default, the cable network icon was shown on the taskbar. But when I connected to my wi-fi network at the same time, the icon changed to the wi-fi symbol. Both connections were working properly and the transfer was through the ethernet connection, although the wi-fi icon was shown as long as the wireless connection was active. It was much more comfortable for me that way, because I didn't have to make sure that the computer was properly connected via wi-fi, just one look at the icon was enough. But on the new computer, the ethernet icon is displayed even with a wi-fi connection active. It only switches to the wi-fi icon when I unplug the ethernet cable, but ethernet is my primary connection, so I don't wanna do that.

I would really appreciate if anybody could help me set my new computer up in a similar way. Here is some additional information:

I know that in Windows 7, by default, wireless connections had priority over ethernet, so I had to manually change the metrics (I hope it's called that way in English) of my network adapters in my old laptop to give priority to the wired connection. In Windows 10, as it seems, wired connections are prioritized, so I didn't have to change the metrics of the adapters.

The WIN7 laptop I used before had a built-in wi-fi adapter, but my new desktop doesn't have one. I bought a TP Link USB wi-fi adapter which was installed automatically and the connection is working properly. But maybe the fact that it's not a built-in adapter matters? Or perhaps it could be a question of the adapter's drivers? I'm not an expert, but I think it's more likely caused by the system itself than by the drivers or the hardware.

Is anybody able to get what I want to get (a wi-fi icon displayed on the taskbar with both ethernet and wi-fi connections active) with a built-in wi-fi adapter?

lasot, Jun 28, 2021
  4. johnny234 Win User

Can't connect via Ethernet. No problems with connecting via Wi Fi

Windows 10 stop automatically connecting to random new wi-fi networks

Hi,

I have searched a lot, but all the tutorials I found only explained how to not connect automatically to a known wi-fi network or how to disable wi-fi sense... but this is not what I am looking for...

PROBLEM:

• When my laptop (Windows 10 Pro X64) is not connected to a network and the wireless adapter is on, it will automatically connect to any random new unsecured wi-fi network... The only way I have now to avoid this is to disable my wi-fi adapter.

UNUSEFUL TUTORIALS I FOUND ON THE INTERNET:

• How to manually uncheck the option for a particular wi-fi network not to connect automatically in Network Properties. This is not what I am looking for. This would suggest that everytime I power my computer. I would have to manually go through all the available wi-fi networks and unclick them all...
    • How to disable Wi-Fi Sense. This is not useful, because I don't even have a Wi-Fi sense option in my computer where the tutorials say it should be.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

• I am looking for an option to tell my computer to stop connecting randomly to unknown wi-fi networks like an hyperactive, reckless idiot.

PERSONAL COMMENT:

• Honestly, why would any respectable company think that it could be somewhat wise or secure to do this... Anyone's computer could just randomly connect to any hacker's wi-fi network without the user even knowing it...

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

johnny234, Jun 28, 2021
Thema:

Can't connect via Ethernet. No problems with connecting via Wi Fi

1. Can't connect via Ethernet. No problems with connecting via Wi Fi - Similar Threads - Can't connect via

2. Only connect via ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only connect via ethernet: I have a windows 8 pro or 10 pro dell optiplex 9010 all in one and it only connects via Ethernet cable, i have been told to try a wifi adapter and will try that but i wanted to know if there was any other solutions...
  3. Only connect via ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only connect via ethernet: I have a windows 8 pro or 10 pro dell optiplex 9010 all in one and it only connects via Ethernet cable, i have been told to try a wifi adapter and will try that but i wanted to know if there was any other solutions...
  4. Windows 10 connecting to NAS also W10 via Wi-Fi instead of direct Ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 connecting to NAS also W10 via Wi-Fi instead of direct Ethernet connection: Good day. My main Windows 10 computer uses a NAS for some files, games, and apps. These two machines are connected to each other via an Ethernet cable, and can successfully transfer data at a rate of at most 1Gbit/s. When the NAS is stuck transferring over WiFi, it caps out...
  5. Internet connection via Ethernet but not Wi-Fi?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet connection via Ethernet but not Wi-Fi?: So currently I'm having trouble connecting my Windows 10 Asus laptop through Wi-Fi even though my cellphone and any other device around my house has connection. Of course I'm trying to connect with the Ethernet cable disconnected. Wi-Fi used to work perfectly. Here are some...
  6. Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi: Hi there I have an Ethernet cable attached to my PC but also want the Wi-Fi connected too as a back etc. but every time I Connect to Wi-Fi it says unable to connect to network. Now the Ethernet is connected no problem and my wife's computer is connected to Wi-Fi no issues,...
  7. Experiencing problems with connecting via Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Experiencing problems with connecting via Ethernet: My computer has experienced a problem where when I plug in the Ethernet cable and connect to the network, it fails to connect to the internet says it is an "Undefined Network" and can't connect to the Internet. When I run a diagnosis it finds that Ethernet doesn't have a...
  8. Slow Connecting via Ethernet?

Slow Connecting via Ethernet?: I have an unusual issue that seems to have just started occurring over the past month. My i-7 desktop with 16 gb RAM is connected to my router via an Ethernet cable. Connection speed (upload and download) is 25-30 Mbs. Have Windows 10 Anniversary Edition fully updated. If...
  9. Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet

Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet: Hello all, I've seen many forums with the same issues, but to no avail I still am experiencing the same problems. I was given my desktop about a week ago by my uncle, and I wiped it cleaned and installed Windows 10 Pro. I go to connect the Ethernet cable and it says...
  10. Internet connection via ethernet problems

Internet connection via ethernet problems: I hope I'm putting this in the right place. We have two desktop pcs both running W10. Husbands PC was off for a while then wouldn't connect to the internet. Now mine has had to be switched off for a couple of months and we're having the same problem with this one too. Neither...