Windows 10: Can't control the brightness after October 2018 update

Discus and support Can't control the brightness after October 2018 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there! I bought my Asus laptop just recently and it came with Windows 10 preinstalled. It worked just fine until I did an update a couple days ago.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AntoMisko123, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Can't control the brightness after October 2018 update

Hi there!
    I bought my Asus laptop just recently and it came with Windows 10 preinstalled. It worked just fine until I did an update a couple days ago. So here is the problem - after I start using my laptop everything works perfectly, but after a certain amount of time all brightness control settings just stop working (?!), and then after I restart, it works normally again. I've tried almost everything - updating drivers, disabling adaptive brightness, changing brightness in settings, running the troubleshooter, but nothing seems to work. I am really starting to lose my mind here, so any help is more than welcome. Thanks a lot in advance!!!

:)

AntoMisko123, Feb 5, 2019
  2. John Sarc Win User

Brightness Control not working in Windows 10

Hi Ella,

To adjust the brightness, see the steps below:

• Go back to Power Options, and tick on the High performance.
    • See if you can adjust the brightness.

If this not work, we highly suggest that you create an Administrator account, and re-do the steps above.

Let us know how it goes.

John Sarc, Feb 5, 2019
  3. Brightness Control

Hello,

After updating my system to latest version of windows - OCTOBER UPDATE - 1809, i have lost control of m brightness. I am not able to control the screen brightness anymore. Please HELP !

BhavikKeshvani, Feb 5, 2019
  4. TheDavidW Win User

Can't control the brightness after October 2018 update

After the latest Windows Update, brightness control and custom keyboard shortcuts no longer function

Acer 1810TZ

64 bit OS and processor (4GB)

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1803

Build 17134.48

Installed 05/17/2018

Quality Updates Installed

• KB4103729
    • KB4103721
    Definition Updates Installed

• KB2267602

Like the subject says, I've lost brightness control as well as custom keyboard shortcuts I had setup to start programs (Ctrl + Alt + [letter]). I just discovered the latter not working. Brightness control no longer works with function key shortcut, icon
    in the notification panel, or adjusting the brightness slider in Settings.

Note that Windows key shortcuts DO work. Volume control DOES work with function key, system tray icon slider, etc.

I've tried the following to no avail:

• updating display and monitor drivers as well as switching to the basic Microsoft display.
    • uninstalling update
    • reinstalling the update
    • the old voodoo trick of rebooting at each of the above steps

I'm at a loss as to what to try or what to even what to search for at this point. Thanks for your help!

TheDavidW, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

Can't control the brightness after October 2018 update

1. Can't control the brightness after October 2018 update - Similar Threads - Can't control brightness

2. Brightness can't be controlled!!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brightness can't be controlled!!!: Hey there,I installed Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro 2011, when I finished the installation I noticed that my primary graphic card was not used in my display and the current driver connected to my display was "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" Because the graphics card does not...
  3. October 2018 Pro Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    October 2018 Pro Update: I did the update and hated how it changed my Windows!!!! Hated it so bad I uninstalled it. Now it has come up again for me to update. I paused it this time. I read that after this pause ends I have no choice but to install it. I still don't want it. I just got this laptop...
  4. Computer Freezes after October 2018 Update

Computer Freezes after October 2018 Update: I'm struggling to get my PC build from several years ago running without freezes after the latest automatic updates. The PC has run flawlessly since Windows 10 first became available and now, October 2018 it freezes up. At first I thought it was my old wireless keyboard...
  5. Brightness issues after the 1809 October update.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brightness issues after the 1809 October update.: So, I recently updated my windows version and eversince the update I cannot adjust my brightness. I tried using the keys on my keyboard and they are not responding and even manually adjusting it in settings has no effecct. I have also tried udating to the latest display...
  6. Brightness at 50% every reboot after October 2018 Update

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Brightness at 50% every reboot after October 2018 Update: My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 14 7447 and I upgraded to the October 2018 Update a few days ago. Thankfully, I didn't have any of the missing files issue but I do have a minor one: the brightness always resets itself to 50% every time I reboot. I tried searching online and a...
  7. Endless loop after October 2018 update

Endless loop after October 2018 update: i update my PC through your software and nơw it stucked in a endless loop with some “undoing” bla bla ?????????? please help I’m so mad right now MS this was not supposed to happen with an official big update for Window 10...
  8. Endless loop after October 2018 update

Endless loop after October 2018 update: i update my PC through your software and nơw it stucked in a endless loop with some “undoing” bla bla ?????????? please help I’m so mad right now MS this was not supposed to happen with an official big update for Window 10...
  9. WINDOWS OCTOBER 2018 UPDATE

WINDOWS OCTOBER 2018 UPDATE: Hi. I want to ask about my windows update. Why is the windows october 2018 keep redownloading in my pc? at first it downloaded until 100%. then it later attempts to install it (which made my pc real slow). the Windows Update then displayed that the same update (version 1809)...
  10. October 2, 2018 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    October 2, 2018 update: This is more forced MS update BS! Once again my PC wont boot because of an update! I am tired of fixing my PC because MS released updated that dont work with my setup yet i am forced to repair........