Windows 10: can't copy a large folder from one drive to another

Discus and support can't copy a large folder from one drive to another in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; trying to copy a large folder windows.old, about 13 gb from C; to D;. process stops in midstream and hangs. ideas? On a windows 10 desktop PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoelAlbert, Nov 1, 2020.

1. can't copy a large folder from one drive to another

trying to copy a large folder windows.old, about 13 gb from C; to D;. process stops in midstream and hangs. ideas? On a windows 10 desktop PC

:)

JoelAlbert, Nov 1, 2020
  2. Warthog50 Win User

Can't Copy Large Folders From Drive To Drive In Windows 10

Can't Copy Large Folders From Drive To Drive In Windows 10

I have multiple drives in my computer, and when I want to copy one large folder from one NTFS drive to another NTFS drive, it gets to the stage of preparing to copy. Then everything stops and disappears and nothing gets copied.

Never had this problem before. This is what I'm running.

Edition Windows 10 Pro

Version 20H2

Installed on ‎8/‎07/‎2020

OS build 19042.423

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

TIA

Warthog50, Nov 1, 2020
  3. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Nov 1, 2020
  4. temp02 Win User

can't copy a large folder from one drive to another

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

can't copy a large folder from one drive to another

1. can't copy a large folder from one drive to another - Similar Threads - can't copy large

2. Copying files from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copying files from one drive to another: Hello, I am copying my useless files from my small storaged ssd to my harddrive, but when i copy over the files their sizes are 10x bigger, the files im copying is only 7.20 gb large but it's copying 70gb worth of storage to my hdd? Please give answers :) submitted by...
  3. copying from one external hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying from one external hard drive to another: I am trying to copy a large folder of photo files from one external hard drive to another in Windows 10. I used a drag and drop command and the resulting window showed progress as I could see the names of individual photo files showing briefly. After the copy process...
  4. Moving Documents folder from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving Documents folder from one drive to another: Hi,My Documents folder in located on D Drive right now but I would like to move it back onto C drive hard drive. What's the safest way to do it without losing files?...
  5. How to copy from one flash drive to another?

How to copy from one flash drive to another?: How do I copy the folders from one flash drive to another and preserve the folder modification dates and security permissions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-copy-from-one-flash-drive-to-another/fcf961df-ce99-4ea8-b13a-45179f677093
  6. Onedrive not copying from one folder to another if the file already exists.

Onedrive not copying from one folder to another if the file already exists.: Since I upgraded to MS Edge as my browser I cannot copy a file from one folder to another within Onedrive if the file already exists in that second folder. When I did this before, it would copy the file and rename it by adding a number to it automatically. Now it just hangs...
  7. copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive: when i am copying 2 large folders both more than 2GB in size from hard disk to usb external drive should i copy both of them at same time or one at a time???????? thnx in advance 176705
  8. Can't copy and paste files from one hard drive to another. Both drives are NTFS...... Error...

Can't copy and paste files from one hard drive to another. Both drives are NTFS...... Error...: The title basically explains everything going on here. I am trying to move my FL Studio files to a different drive because it is taking up all my space on my main SSD. I've been searching online all day for information about what is the issue and it seems all people have for...
  9. Cannot copy all the files from one folder to another

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot copy all the files from one folder to another: Hello I'm in the process of converting quite a few files from WMA to MP3 via MediaHuman Audio Converter which allows me to do it in bulk rather than one at a time. The MP3 files are created in a folder on my hard drive and I'm trying to move them to a Sansa music clip...
  10. Can't Copy Large Folders From Drive To Drive In Windows 10

Can't Copy Large Folders From Drive To Drive In Windows 10: Can't Copy Large Folders From Drive To Drive In Windows 10 I have multiple drives in my computer, and when I want to copy one large folder from one NTFS drive to another NTFS drive, it gets to the stage of preparing to copy. Then everything stops and disappears and nothing...