Windows 10: Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive

Discus and support Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a 500gb canvio basic that I recently purchased. Yesterday, i was moving some data from my HP laptop & the battery died in the middle of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MutaleMusonda, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive

Hi all,

I have a 500gb canvio basic that I recently purchased. Yesterday, i was moving some data from my HP laptop & the battery died in the middle of transferring. At this point, i am unable to transfer data from the laptop to the hard drive (it disconnects itself) but I can transfer from the hard drive to the laptop

:)

MutaleMusonda, Mar 2, 2019
  2. JohnL_793 Win User

Windows 10: How to transfer data from an external hard drive to a new laptop

When I press Ctrl Key + V Key to paste it in the computer - as per Step 6 above - this starts to copy all files back into the same external drive.

Have the above instructions - Steps 1 to 6 - been revised since April 2016 and, if so, what steps should I follow?

JohnL_793, Mar 2, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Mar 2, 2019
  4. Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive

Does an external hard drive only store data?

I want to transfer data from my old laptop to an external hard drive, and from there to the hard drive in my new laptop.

Ive already transferred my media files and documents in their own folders.

Do I need to delete all the old programs on the drive first? I read somewhere I don't need t delete them because the external hard drive only accepts data and not programs. If this is the case, it will save me time.

fitnessinstbob, Mar 2, 2019
Thema:

Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive

1. Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive - Similar Threads - Can't copy data

2. Not able to copy data to my hard drive. "Can't read from the source file or disk".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to copy data to my hard drive. "Can't read from the source file or disk".: Hi. I have been trying to back up some data from my laptop to my hard disk. The copy process stops midway and an error occurs which reads "Can't read from the source file or disk". I ran a chkdsk also but i stopped it at stage 4 because the files I was trying to copy went...
  3. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  4. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  5. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Copying to External Hard Drive

Copying to External Hard Drive: I try to copy files to my external hard drives, the system goes through the procedure, but when I look where the files should be, only the folders are being copied. Why am I unable to copy to external drives and how can I do this?...
  7. How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?: Before I send my laptop computer to HP for repairs, I want to copy or back up my data not programs or system to my external hard drive which contains plenty of free space. When I try to copy or drag&drop the Windows\Users folder, the dialog box specifies fewer files 3500...
  8. How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?

How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?: Before I send my laptop computer to HP for repairs, I want to copy or back up my data not programs or system to my external hard drive which contains plenty of free space. When I try to copy or drag&drop the Windows\Users folder, the dialog box specifies fewer files 3500...
  9. Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook.

Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook.: Hello all. I have just read a post but it does not reach my situation, quite. I have an ASUS notebook and an ASUS laptop and a couple of external hard drives which I needed to add storage space to help with Windows updates, on the notebook because it's got very limited...
  10. External Hard Drive copies

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive copies: When I attach an external hard drive it displays two copies (e.g. Drive (E:)) the content is the same but when moving folders or files i have sometimes put them in different copies. I would like just one drive but how do i get rid of the copy?...