Windows 10: Can't copy files from my local Onedrive folder to external drive (re-open)...

Discus and support Can't copy files from my local Onedrive folder to external drive (re-open)... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is the same problem expressed by other users in the following thread that was closed with no response from Microsoft...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rob Harper, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Can't copy files from my local Onedrive folder to external drive (re-open)...

This is the same problem expressed by other users in the following thread that was closed with no response from Microsoft...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-copy-files-from-my-local-onedrive-folder-to/aada2be5-814e-4115-aec0-f24dad8a26d7

When trying to copy 60GB from local HD synced with OneDrive to external HD with 1TB of free space, I receive an error message...

There is not enough space on XXXXXX. You need an additional 53.1 GB to copy these files.

Can't copy files from my local Onedrive folder to external drive (re-open)... 3b4d31f6-de29-46f6-a144-a6c8f227b582?upload=true.jpg

This problem is reported is many places across the web, with no apparent solution.

Is there a response or solution from Microsoft?

:)

Rob Harper, Apr 13, 2019
  2. Burubim Win User

Can't copy files from my local Onedrive folder to external drive...

Hi there,

When trying to copy files from my local Onedrive folder to an external drive I keep getting this error:

"There is not enough free space on Local Disk. You need an additional 261 GB to copy these files"

Anyone had this problem before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Burubim, Apr 13, 2019
  3. ThewlynOh Win User
    OneDrive files not accessible on my local drive

Hello.

I am trying to repurpose my wife's old all-in-one for our middle schooler. I am trying to copy the files from her OneDrive to an external hard drive. OneDrive went through the whole copy process and didn't copy a single file directly to the external drive.

So I highlighted the OneDrive contents, hit copy, then hit paste into her local Documents folder, and it seemed to copy them all ok.

However, now that they are local to the hard drive, when I try to move them to the external drive, it says "Can't read from the source file or disk". EVERY file is like this.

What am I doing wrong?

ThewlynOh, Apr 13, 2019
  4. Can't copy files from my local Onedrive folder to external drive (re-open)...

Cannot copy files from external drive

Hi,

Thank you for replying back to us.

1. Did you try to create a new user account and try to copy the files from your external drive to your computer?
    2. What is the location that you are trying to past the file? For example, are you pasting the files from your external drive to your Desktop, Documents, or somewhere else?
    3. Are you able to copy the same files from the external drive to the some other PC?
    4. Are the files write protected on your external drive?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Go to the destination folder on your computer, where you are trying to copy the files from your external drive. Let’s create a
    New Folder on your desktop.

Step 2: Double click on New Folder from your desktop and
    Right Click on some blank space and click on Properties
    and go to General tab.

Step 3: Under Attributes, completely uncheck the
    Read-only option. (The box should be blank, check it again if it has a checkmark or a small square inside it).

Step 3: Click on Apply and
    OK

Step 4: Now, open one of the files on your external drive and do the same, i.e.,
    Right Click on a file (NOT THE FOLDER) >
    Properties
    > General and under Attributes, uncheck
    Read-only option.

Step 5: Click on Apply and
    OK

Now, see if you are able to copy this file from your external drive to your computer.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Apr 13, 2019
Thema:

Can't copy files from my local Onedrive folder to external drive (re-open)...

1. Can't copy files from my local Onedrive folder to external drive (re-open)... - Similar Threads - Can't copy files

2. Back up does not copy Onedrive Documents folder to external hard drive even with local copy...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Back up does not copy Onedrive Documents folder to external hard drive even with local copy...: HiWhy does backup not copy the Onedrive documents folder to my external hard drive? It backs up Favourites, Downloads and other useless folders but will not back up my Onedrive documents folder which has all my important documents in! I have tried adding the folder to backup...
  3. Back up does not copy Onedrive Documents folder to external hard drive even with local copy...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up does not copy Onedrive Documents folder to external hard drive even with local copy...: HiWhy does backup not copy the Onedrive documents folder to my external hard drive? It backs up Favourites, Downloads and other useless folders but will not back up my Onedrive documents folder which has all my important documents in! I have tried adding the folder to backup...
  4. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  5. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  6. Copying files/folders from external drive to windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files/folders from external drive to windows: Hi, I have a new windows 11 laptop and am bringing files/folders from my external drive across. Sometimes its a seamless copy and paste. Other times it flashes up "preparing" to copy folder to folder then the pop up window shuts without actually copying and sometimes it just...
  7. Copying files/folders from external drive to windows

Copying files/folders from external drive to windows: Hi, I have a new windows 11 laptop and am bringing files/folders from my external drive across. Sometimes its a seamless copy and paste. Other times it flashes up "preparing" to copy folder to folder then the pop up window shuts without actually copying and sometimes it just...
  8. Screensaver and onedrive re-downloads local copies of files to fill my hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Screensaver and onedrive re-downloads local copies of files to fill my hard drive: I've moved all 900GB of files to OneDrive, which leaves 190GB free on my 250GB surface book. Wonderful. However, it remains like this only until I start screensaver. Notifications of screensvr.exe saving each displayed file locally start appearing and, after several hours,...
  9. Screensaver and onedrive re-downloads local copies of files to fill my hard drive

Screensaver and onedrive re-downloads local copies of files to fill my hard drive: I've moved all 900GB of files to OneDrive, which leaves 190GB free on my 250GB surface book. Wonderful. However, it remains like this only until I start screensaver. Notifications of screensvr.exe saving each displayed file locally start appearing and, after several hours,...
  10. Can't get local file copy back from OneDrive

Can't get local file copy back from OneDrive: I recently decided to use OneDrive to backup some files (4.2GB). I didn't notice the "Files on Demand" setting so "save space and download files as you use them" was checked, and OneDrive uploaded all of my files and removed the local copies. I want to keep local files and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant copy files from local one drive folder

2. cant copy onedrive folder

3. i cant copy onedrive folder

4. cannot open my onedrive files on external hard drive,
  5. can i copy everyitng on onedrive to external drive,
  6. Cant copy files from my local Onedrive folder to external drive,
  7. one drive folder cant copy,
  8. cant copy onedrive files to exernal drive,
  9. copy from onedrive to network,
  10. cant copy files from onedrive to external drive,
  11. cant copy from onedrive