Windows 10: Can't copy linux files to NAS, what can i do?

Discus and support Can't copy linux files to NAS, what can i do? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hello! i'm trying to copy a folder (using file explorer) from my USB drive (NTFS) that contains linux files, to my NAS drive (EXT4). the copy process... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Matt26, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Matt26 Win User

Can't copy linux files to NAS, what can i do?

hello! i'm trying to copy a folder (using file explorer) from my USB drive (NTFS) that contains linux files, to my NAS drive (EXT4). the copy process stops on a file with ":" in the file name and the message "the filename you specified is not valid or too long". i suspect this has to do with windows not liking the special character, and i've discovered quite a few of these special character files in the folder i'm trying to copy, so manual file renaming isn't ideal.

i tried copying the folder from a ubuntu live cd but it stops on files with the message "symlinks not supported by backend", so i'm stuck trying to figure out a way to do this folder copy in one shot without having to resort to manual efforts like file renaming- does anyone know of a way that i can make this folder copy happen?

many thanks!

:)

Matt26, Jan 13, 2018
  2. theking2 Win User

Force File History from BitLocker device to NAS

After I enabled BitLocker on my C-Drive File History refuses to make backups to my NAS. The NAS is Linux based and apparently FH doesn't do backups from a BL-protected drive to a destination where it can't be sure if it is protected.

How do I force File History to backup to a NAS?

theking2, Jan 13, 2018
  3. dabow Win User
    Windows connection to NAS Linux based and Google Drive and Acronis True Image

Connected a windows share to a NAS Linux v5 Based Thecus N4100, N5500, N7700, and N8800.

Google Drive reported the directory was not writeable. A quick look and all folders had a black square in read only. Took a look at the security tab and the only full control was for the NAS accounts. All windows account permissions that Google drive relies
    on were blank and unchangeable. This is by design for Linux NAS permission in Windows. No I cant change everyone to full control..

As google drive has no explicit NAS Linux account the only option was to have the NAS run in public permission mode. Yes google drive now installs.

But it's not a good fix. Acronis True Image Home backup can not log into the NAS. It wants a Linux account to browse despite it being public. But the public NAS has no account! No I can not make a Linux user and get google drive to work.

dabow, Jan 13, 2018
  4. Matt26 Win User

do you know of another linux option that can get past this?

Matt26, Jan 13, 2018
  5. I'm guessing you're transferring the files over Samba, which is a Microsoft protocol and has no concept of symlinks.

Do you need to preserve the symlinks?

PolarNettles, Jan 13, 2018
  6. How are you trying to copy the files?

You shouldn't get a message about symlinks unless there are items in the folder that are actually links (i.e. the files aren't in the folder).

I'm not sure what file manager Ubuntu uses, but assuming it allows it, check the "Type" column.
    Here is a screenshot from Caja in Linux Mint MATE:

Can't copy linux files to NAS, what can i do? [​IMG]

Try creating a new folder on the destination drive and then copy the files from inside the source folder (rather than copying the folder itself).

lehnerus2000, Jan 13, 2018
  7. Matt26 Win User
    ideally, i'd like to get everything copied over in one shot, so if i can keep everything as is then that would be great.

i'm using the default file manager in ubuntu (sorry, can't remember the name), right-click folder and copy, then pasting in the destination directory on the NAS. i think these "symlink" files that ubuntu is stopping on are spread throughout the folder structure, ie they don't just reside in one folder.. is there some way to force ubuntu to copy these files, or another live cd option that allows copying these symlink files?

Matt26, Jan 13, 2018
  8. Can't copy linux files to NAS, what can i do?

Can you mount your NAS using NFS instead of SMB?

PolarNettles, Jan 13, 2018
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there @Matt26

download GRSYNC on your Linux system / live distro and simply copy the directories / files --works a treat

(Mount the two HDD's first before trying the copy -- easy these days as root or sudo : mount /dev/your HDD -t auto -o rw /mnt/your mountpoint)

the auto parameter saves you even having to know the file type -- for linux read / write to NTFS files install package ntfs-3g. Fat32 is natively supported anyway. Some distros might have ntfs-3g installed by default.

Can't copy linux files to NAS, what can i do? [​IMG]

on UBUNTU

Grsync Ubuntu Apps Directory

on CENTOS / FEDORA just use YUM INSTALL from the nux-dextop repo. I won't go into details here as this is Windows Forum but it's easy enough.

If you copy whole directory --remember to add the '/' in the FROM directory at the end. Note this program can also only copy files that don't exist on the target and loads of other options too --very useful indeed.

(Grsync is a GUI front end for rsync)

I'm using KDE desktop but GNOME/MINT should also be OK - the standard file manager on KDE is Dolphin - on GNOME it's Nautilus I think. There's live kde centos distro if you need a quick live distro from the rolling release web site -- you will need to install ntfs-3g for NTFS file read / write if you need that option. If you can mount the directories you wont need samba on the live distro for the copy. To get grsync you will have to install the nux-dextop repo -- plenty of decent documentation on Google.

For CENTOS 7 Rolling release - pick KDE live

Index of /rolling/7/isos/x86_64

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 13, 2018
  10. Matt26 Win User
    i tried this from the ubuntu 17.10 live cd, can't get it to work- ubuntu software shows no results for GRSYNC (i can search for and find other stuff) and firefox can't resolve the above link- do i need some prerequisites? can GRSYNC be installed in a live cd session?

Matt26, Jan 14, 2018
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @Matt26

I'll try it from live CENTOS session later then I can send you the exact steps. Even if you aren't a regular Linux user this is fairly straight forward to do.

I'm going to be outside installing LAN cable for a while - then will do the test for you - I've been kicked out of the main house for having too many cables, wires, bits of computer hardware, old monitors etc around the place !!! so I've been relegated to my shed which I use as an office anyway.

"She who must be obeyed" said --I'm sick of this stuff -- OUT or I'm going to toss it all in the trash !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 14, 2018
  12. Matt26 Win User
    so i ended up installing ubuntu 17.10.1 on my computer, which allowed me to install grsync- makes sense to me that you can't install a program while running a live session from a CD.. so i ran grsync with default settings and got some errors, the most common that i saw was about skipping non-regular files? not sure what that means- i checked a few of the files and they are spreadsheets, images etc, nothing unusual looking to me.. maybe i need to modify the settings in grsync to get past these errors? anyways, it's a start!

Matt26, Jan 22, 2018
  13. Can't copy linux files to NAS, what can i do?

Some Live Distros allow you to make changes, which can then be included in your install (if you then install the OS during that session).

I don't know if Ubuntu does it.

lehnerus2000, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't copy linux files to NAS, what can i do? - Similar Threads - Can't copy linux

2. trouble copying from NAS to system with BAT file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    trouble copying from NAS to system with BAT file: I created a BAT file to copy data files from my NAS to my Program Files x86 folder using XCOPY.xcopy /Y "\\PIECESOF8\ruggb\Automobile Tracker 6.5\*.fil" "C:\Program Files x86\Auto\Automobile Tracker 6.5\"When I run it, at least one file in the mix *.fil produces an ACCESS...
  3. trouble copying from NAS to system with BAT file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    trouble copying from NAS to system with BAT file: I created a BAT file to copy data files from my NAS to my Program Files x86 folder using XCOPY.xcopy /Y "\\PIECESOF8\ruggb\Automobile Tracker 6.5\*.fil" "C:\Program Files x86\Auto\Automobile Tracker 6.5\"When I run it, at least one file in the mix *.fil produces an ACCESS...
  4. trouble copying from NAS to system with BAT file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't install kali linux in windows 10 Show copy faild when i installed.. What is the...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't install kali linux in windows 10 Show copy faild when i installed.. What is the...: Why can't install kali linux in windows 10? Show copy faild when i installed.. What is the reason? Please help sir https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-kali-linux-in-windows-10-show-copy/7696a18e-2401-4c47-b507-596bbcf244fd
  6. Warning: Win10 2004 file explorer drops files copying to NAS.

Warning: Win10 2004 file explorer drops files copying to NAS.: I tried using Windows Explorer to copy my song files to my NAS. Windows 10 2004 failed to copy 800+ album art files. I double checked that result by using FreeFileSync - which found the missing files and successfully copied them to the NAS. 169051
  7. Warning: Win10 2004 file explorer drops files copying to NAS.

in Windows 10 Support
    Warning: Win10 2004 file explorer drops files copying to NAS.: I tried using Windows Explorer to copy my song files to my NAS. Windows 10 2004 failed to copy 800+ album art files. I double checked that result by using FreeFileSync - which found the missing files and successfully copied them to the NAS. 169051
  8. Can't delete a file no matter what I do

Can't delete a file no matter what I do: I've installed a program that i didn't like, so I deleted it. Once deleting it there are 3 ".sys" files that I can't delete. It says that "Another program has it open". In resource monitor, I couldn't find any program that had any of theese files open, not even explorer. I...
  9. Can I copy a EaseUS backup file from NAS to portable HD and use it

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I copy a EaseUS backup file from NAS to portable HD and use it: I use EaseUS ToDo backup software. My W10 system backup is located on a NAS drive. To speed up recovery, can I copy just the backup file to a portable HD and use it there? Thanks 133490
  10. Can't access NAS files in file explorer

Can't access NAS files in file explorer: Hi, I have a small home office with two computers. I decided to invest in a NAS so that the two computers have access to the same files. The newer computer, a lenovo AIO, had no problem connecting to the nas through a network switch which both computers are connected to,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to copy file from linux nas to windows nas

2. grsync file name too long