Windows 10: Can't copy Outlook.pst file to new Win10 computer

Discus and support Can't copy Outlook.pst file to new Win10 computer in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm relatively new to Win10. I'm trying to copy my outlook.pst file from my old Win7 computer to the new Win10 computer. Outlook version is 2007, if... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mallomar, Jun 9, 2019.

1. mallomar Win User

Can't copy Outlook.pst file to new Win10 computer

I'm relatively new to Win10. I'm trying to copy my outlook.pst file from my old Win7 computer to the new Win10 computer. Outlook version is 2007, if that matters.

When I try to import the outlook.pst file that I copied over from the old PC, I get this popup message:

"Microsoft Office Outlook
    File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file."

So how do I get permission? I'm guessing I need to be an admin (I thought I already was, but I guess I'm not.)

This is my own computer and nobody else uses it. I tried changing the Owner account so I would be an admin, but when I clicked the admin option, the change account option was grayed out. I tried setting up a new account as an admin, but that didn't work either.

Can someone please tell me exactly how to make myself an admin? (I'm hoping that will let me access the outlook.pst file.) I just can't figure it out.

Thanks.

:)

mallomar, Jun 9, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Outlook PST File Problem

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Export everything to another PST file, delete the old(or rather move it out of the default folder) and replace it with the new PST file that you exported.

newtekie1, Jun 9, 2019
  3. marcbkk Win User
    Outlook PST File Problem

Thanks again everyone. I just did an export on the troubled PST file to create a new PST file from it and the file size went from 3.9GB down to 850MB. Then I installed the new PST file into Outlook that I just created and removed the old PST file from Outlook and all seems to be working fine so far. I think I am good now, but I will give it some time just to make sure there are no problems before I delete the old file. Thanks again.

marcbkk, Jun 9, 2019
  4. Mike0409 Win User

Outlook PST File Problem

Outlook .PST files are maxed at 2GB's anything over that and they become corrupted. You can try the scanpst.exe from above. Also this might help you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296088

Mike0409, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't copy Outlook.pst file to new Win10 computer - Similar Threads - Can't copy Outlook

2. Word(Office 2019) can't convert pdf files / Outlook crashes pst import

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word(Office 2019) can't convert pdf files / Outlook crashes pst import: Hi, I did a clean windows 10 ver.1809 installation and decided to take up an offer from Microsoft HUP and also installed the newest Office Professional Plus 2019 package. Also did Kari's tutorial of User file relocation which I have done many times before. All worked well....
  3. .pst files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    .pst files: I was trying to move folders from the document folder to a flash drive, and I screwed it up as usual. Out of nowhere appeared a massive file labeled as an "outlook .pst" file in the document folder. I don't even use outlook, so what is it and should I delete it?...
  4. Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook: Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the outlook ... there are important emails. made by the archive outlook 2007 .pst, copied to a USB flash drive. Then reset the system, set the same office 2007. Now I want to recover the mail data (they are very important) ......
  5. Outlook pst files

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook pst files: This is weird I am trying to copy the pst from my main computer it is roughly 4GB in size to a USB stick to import it to my new laptop. I have 43GB of empty space on my stick yet I get the error message that the pst file is to big for my stick. Now that is weird can anyone...
  6. Backup Outlook 2016 via pst file (?)

in Browsers and Email
    Backup Outlook 2016 via pst file (?): Hi; Would like to sync (Win 7) outlook 2010 and (Win 10) outlook 2016. Specifically for email and calendars. I believe the easiest way would be a sync'd or shared pst file. Comments or suggestions appreciated. 62159
  7. Can't get to Outlook 2007 .pst file...

in Browsers and Email
    Can't get to Outlook 2007 .pst file...: With Windows 10 now on my PC, I know where the Outlook .pst file is located but not able to get to it. I am going to a new PC in a few weeks and would like to copy the Outlook .pst file to an external drive in order to put in the new PC. Is it safe to move it to another...
  8. Outlook *.ost files being created instead of *.pst

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook *.ost files being created instead of *.pst: I upgraded to Win10/Office 2016 from Win7/Office 2013. At the same time, I changed my web mail (Gmail) from POP3 to IMAP. Since the upgrade, Outlook creates *.ost data files instead of *.pst data files. As far as I am able to determine, *.ost files are a product of or are...
  9. Outlook pst file reader?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook pst file reader?: I'm trying to access .pst files from Outlook from a previous laptop. I currently don't have Outlook on my laptop (W10). Can anyone recommend a good (and safe) pst file reader. Freeware would be great. Thanks! 44347
  10. Can't copy files to other network computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't copy files to other network computers: Using Windows 10 Explorer, I can't copy a file from this main computer to any other network computer. Right now, I get an "Interrupted - 0% Complete" window that pops up and freezes. By the way, XXCopy does in fact work and clones folders from one computer to another. Now...