Windows 10: can't create a system image

Discus and support can't create a system image in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; hi, we've just had our hardware upgraded by a third party who had a lot of problems with bad sectors on the SSD drive. Things now seem to be working ok... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DaveHoc, Feb 3, 2023.

1. DaveHoc Win User

can't create a system image

hi, we've just had our hardware upgraded by a third party who had a lot of problems with bad sectors on the SSD drive. Things now seem to be working ok but I now want to do a system image backup but it is not showing the C drive where the system is held:The c drive is visible in explorer:I've tried various things to sort this to no avail. Can you help please.

:)

DaveHoc, Feb 3, 2023

2. Creating a System Image backup - keeps looping

Hi,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you with the query.

I understand the inconvenience caused, now that you have me with you let me take care of this.

The system image is exactly like the mirrored copy of the Operating System which contains the configuration of the Operating System. When you create backup system image your windows 10 comes back to the same position at when the image was created earlier.

As an initial step, I suggest you to make sure that the services required for backup to run successfully is enabled. Refer to these steps:

• Press Windows + R
      keys, type services.msc and press Enter.

• In the services window, locate the services
      File history service
      and the Volume shadow copy service and check if they are running.

• If they are not running, right-click and select
      Start to manually start the service.

• Check if you are able to create a backup now.
    Step 1: I suggest you to follow the steps from the below article created by

Andre Da Costa
    and check if it helps.

How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

Redirecting

Step 2: If the issue still persists, I suggest you to boot the computer in a clean boot state and then check.

Booting the computer in a clean boot state can reduce software conflicts and help identify the root cause of the issue. You can refer to this article for more information:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Microsoft Support

Note: After troubleshooting, reset the computer to start as usual. Refer to the step
    How to set the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting under more information.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Feb 3, 2023
  3. System Image Problem

I'm getting a head start in case you get on early.

Can you post camera pics to your thread from your phone?

There will be steps later that require attention to detail and I'd feel better if I could see what's on your screen. I had to try the steps more than once when I tested the process and I'd like to avoid that on your machine.

Here's what I'd like to do for the Macrium Rescue steps later on in the process
    I'll post the the step, you'll post an picture of the Macrium screen,
    I'll echo same screen back if I see something that needs changing or I'll just say Go Ahead

When I confirm that the Macrium screen, you'll make any changes I've highlighted and THEN execute the step

Here's where you begin today's session, we'll get as far as we get and then pick up when you get back home.

Step 1: Safeguard the System Image by moving it to a new folder

1. Connect the Seagate exp drive

2. File Explorer: Navigate to the Seagate drive

3. Create a new Folder named 1_sysImage

4. Move WindowsImageBackup to 1_sysImage

Step 2: List the VHDs in the System Image

1. File Explorer: Navigate to 1_sysImage\WindowsImageBackup\machineName\Backup date-time

2. Press the Type column to sort by Type

3. Post a screen shot

Slartybart, Feb 3, 2023
  4. can't create a system image

Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown can't create a system image :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile can't create a system image :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Feb 3, 2023
Thema:

can't create a system image

1. can't create a system image - Similar Threads - can't create system

2. Can't create system image of my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create system image of my laptop: I had a Windows ISO on my 32 GB USB and I decided to use for my laptop's file history, I deleted a file on it while it was backing up because I realised it had the Windows ISO this was when I got my laptop in January 2023, after that the entire file history thing wasn't...
  3. Can't create system image of my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create system image of my laptop: I had a Windows ISO on my 32 GB USB and I decided to use for my laptop's file history, I deleted a file on it while it was backing up because I realised it had the Windows ISO this was when I got my laptop in January 2023, after that the entire file history thing wasn't...
  4. can't create a system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't create a system image: hi, we've just had our hardware upgraded by a third party who had a lot of problems with bad sectors on the SSD drive. Things now seem to be working ok but I now want to do a system image backup but it is not showing the C drive where the system is held:The c drive is visible...
  5. can't create a system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can't create a system image: hi, we've just had our hardware upgraded by a third party who had a lot of problems with bad sectors on the SSD drive. Things now seem to be working ok but I now want to do a system image backup but it is not showing the C drive where the system is held:The c drive is visible...
  6. Can't create system image backup 0x80780119

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create system image backup 0x80780119: I am trying to backup my files on my C drive to an external hard disk see disk management screenshot belowBut when I create a system image, I get the following error:This doesn't make sense to me. I only have about 500 GB of files on my C drive, and my external hard disk has...
  7. Can't create system image backup 0x80780119

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create system image backup 0x80780119: I am trying to backup my files on my C drive to an external hard disk see disk management screenshot belowBut when I create a system image, I get the following error:This doesn't make sense to me. I only have about 500 GB of files on my C drive, and my external hard disk has...
  8. Can't create system image for backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't create system image for backup: Hello, I want to create a system image to back up my files, except when I click "On a hard disk", it automatically says "backed up data cannot be securely protected for a network target" and wants me to choose the "On a network location". What can I do to the backup?...
  9. Creating a system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a system image: Hi, I wanted to create a system image . I have some screen shots for the issue.Note that this has not been an issue before 2004 version. As you can see in the screen shots "Back up and Restore" includes D: in system but in the computer management it is not a...
  10. Can't Create System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't Create System Image: I'm using Windows 10 Home on another computer in the house and backing up to a NAS using Windows Backup, and I'm unable to create a system image. I'm getting an error about the virtual disk being compressed or encrypted (which it is not) and it stops with a failed backup....