Windows 10: Can't create new file in Documents directory.

Discus and support Can't create new file in Documents directory. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, From some day weeks ago, I strangely found that I can not create new files in my Document directory and some other directories (e.g. Desktop)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gwy15, May 16, 2019.

1. gwy15 Win User

Can't create new file in Documents directory.

Hi all,

From some day weeks ago, I strangely found that I can not create new files in my Document directory and some other directories (e.g. Desktop) using some applications. Check this screenshot out.

Can't create new file in Documents directory. f47b4621-7d87-46c2-9fc7-4059185245bb?upload=true.png

Here's some further information I can provide:

• Creating new file (e.g. a text file) or directory from the right mouse button menu works fine. This only happens for some applications. E.g. Using python, vim, etc.
    • This only happens for some specific directory and deeper sub-directories. In my case, that refers to the Document directory and its children. Once I move the sub directory to another place, e.g., C:\projects, I can create files properly.
    • For an existing file, I do have access to it and can open it for reading or writing. The only problem is to 'create' a new file.
    • Running as administrator doesn't help. Still having this problem.
    • Running in WSL doesn't help. Still having this problem.
    • This problem came to me suddenly some day using Windows 10 1809. I upgraded it to 1903 today and it still remains unsolved, hence I come here to ask.

Anyone got a clue how to solve it? Thanks a lot.

:)

gwy15, May 16, 2019
  2. DianeMV Win User

Create new Directory for application

I NEED TO CREATE A NEW DIRECTORY FOR THE PROGRAM TO BE DOWNLOADED INTO, I CAN DO WHAT

YOUR ANSWER SUGGESTS AFTER I HAVE CREATED THE NEW DIRECTORY, MY QUESTION IS HOW DO I CREATE THE NEW DIRECTORY?

DianeMV, May 16, 2019
  3. Directory Size Utility

Change Log v1.6

• Resoved an issue where selecting "Detail" from the "View" drop down would cause duplicates.
    • New "Peek" feature!
      • Selecting something in the Directory column in the Directory view (Left window) while holding "z" will peek into that directory!
      • Double clicking the Directory column in the directory view(Left window) while holding "z" will add the folder.
    • New color coded feature in both Size columns for Detailed view.
    • Exporting to Excel will now Export both Folder (left) and File (right) window. In the excel file the Folder, and File window will be on different sheets.
    • Add a feature to export to older excel 97-2003 (.xls) from the file/export drop down window.
    Download HERE!

Don't forget to enter to win this game bundle! here Drawing is this Friday!

Mindweaver, May 16, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

95Viper, May 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't create new file in Documents directory. - Similar Threads - Can't create file

2. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.: This seems to be a permissions problem, but I can't find what's causing this. I have tried many things.I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk. It checks fine and works well with one exception. I can't create folders or files in the root directory. Other directories are...
  3. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.: This seems to be a permissions problem, but I can't find what's causing this. I have tried many things.I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk. It checks fine and works well with one exception. I can't create folders or files in the root directory. Other directories are...
  4. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't Create Text Documents

Can't Create Text Documents: So I Can't Create Text Documents In Certain Folders Such As Program Files Because It Says I Have To Do It As Administrator Yet I Already Did It https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-text-documents/5a8b1011-bf35-4e50-9964-041f39516491
  6. Can't Create Text Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Create Text Documents: So I Can't Create Text Documents In Certain Folders Such As Program Files Because It Says I Have To Do It As Administrator Yet I Already Did It https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-text-documents/5a8b1011-bf35-4e50-9964-041f39516491
  7. Can't Create Text Documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Creating a new directory in "This PC"

Creating a new directory in "This PC": Hello, I am trying to make a new directory to This PC but I can't find much on how to do this.I want to create a new folder here but as I said, I really don't know how to do this....
  9. I can't create new file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't create new file: So while I right click, it did not show New like normally, which was weird. I really want to create folders to organize my work, but I can't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-create-new-file/6a65c53b-5864-4f0a-b3f8-e1a2a970910b
  10. Application keeps creating new directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Application keeps creating new directory: Specifically the Dexcom Clarity Uploader application When I installed this application I had it install to a folder in Program Files (x86). But whenever I open the application it creates a new folder in C:. This occurs every time, even if I delete the folder. This is a minor...