Windows 10: Can't create recovery drive

Discus and support Can't create recovery drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm running Win 10 Version 1211 (build 10586.11) - i.e. the latest build with the latest update. I want to create a new recovery drive but when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by dsscottage, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Can't create recovery drive

I'm running Win 10 Version 1211 (build 10586.11) - i.e. the latest build with the latest update.

I want to create a new recovery drive but when I get to the window that says "Connect a USB Flash Drive" and the process comes to a dead stop.

-I'm using the same 16GB thumb drive that was previously used to create a Win 8.1 recovery drive so it should be good
    -The thumb drive appears in File Explorer and I can read and write to the drive so the system sees it

Edit:
    I should also mention...
    -I have attempted this with and without "include system files" checked.
    -I find it interesting that after a thumb drive is inserted, I don't have the icon in my system tray that I would normally select to eject the thumb drive. Nonetheless, I can read and write to the thumb drive. I've inserted the same thumb drives in another computer with Win 10 build 10240 and I get the USB eject icon on my system tray
    Any suggestions?

:)

dsscottage, Nov 18, 2015

2. Windows 10130 We can't create the recovery drive

attempting to create a recovery drive in 10130 receives this message "We can't create the recovery drive. A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive."

Is there a solution to this?

johnlitwinetz, Nov 18, 2015
  3. Janet50 Win User
    can't create recovery drive

Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3199986)

successfully installed 12/7

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3201845)

successfully installed 12/9

Janet50, Nov 18, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Can't create recovery drive

From an elevated command prompt ("run as administrator" command prompt) type reagentc /info

Please post results here.

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2015
  5. Here are the results:
    Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586] (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc/info Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration Information: Windows RE status: Enabled Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition7\Recovery\WindowsRE Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 2c156fe0-5b26-11e2-90a9-bcf1b5e7dcb1 Recovery image location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition7\RecoveryImage Recovery image index: 2 Custom image location: Custom image index: 0 REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful. C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote]

dsscottage, Nov 18, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    K. That all looks good, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with sources. Does your computer have both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 slots? I seem to have less trouble doing stuff like this using the USB 2.0 slots. I would unplug the flash drive. Restart the computer by clicking on the power icon and selecting restart. Let it all start back up, try again with the flash drive plugged into a USB 2.0 slot, if you have a choice.

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2015
  7. I have 2 USB2 and 1 USB3 ports. I have been using the USB2 ports because my mouse is plugged into the USB3 port (convenience of location).

I tried the USB3 port and the recovery drive is being created as I type.

Also interesting....
    As per the edit in my original post, the "eject USB" icon doesn't appear when a thumb drive is plugged into one of the USB2 ports but it does appear when plugged into the USB3 port. The remove USB icon appeared for both ports before the update to Win 10 Version 1211 (build 10586.11). The update screwed up the driver for my VIA HD Audio chip )I fixed it.) I wonder if the USB2 driver is also screwed up.

dsscottage, Nov 18, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2015
  9. Just to make sure that I understand and don't screw up, here is a screen shot of my USB devices in Device Manager:

From the suggestion in the link you provided, I should replace 3rd and 4th driver listed but not the 5th because it is the USB 3.0 driver.
    I should also delete the second and third last USB Root Hubs but not the last one (xHCI)

Do I understand correctly?

BTW, I also have exactly the same drivers on my Win 10 build 10240 desktop and the USB 2.0 & 3.0 devices work as expected.

dsscottage, Nov 18, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    That's the way I read it!

NavyLCDR, Nov 19, 2015
  11. dsscottage, Nov 22, 2015
  12. MAXIQ Win User
    First of all make sure that there is no iso files mounted virtually, meaning eject all virtual drives then try again, it should work.

wish you luck

MAXIQ, Nov 22, 2015
  13. Can't create recovery drive

I don't have an ISO mounted. Actually, I don't think that I have ever mounted an ISO on my laptop.

dsscottage, Nov 23, 2015
  14. MAXIQ Win User
    I had the exact same problem, i had one of the windows 10 iso files opened by file explorer, as in the attached photo, the file explorer opens it in a virtual drive and gives it a letter, the recovery process could not see the flash drive, when i right clicked the virtual drive and pushed eject, right away the recovery process saw my flash drive, i think the recovery process some how got confused. check from your side if you have any drives connected confusing the recovery process.

Can't create recovery drive [​IMG]

MAXIQ, Nov 23, 2015
  15. I've checked and there is no ISO mounted.

dsscottage, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't create recovery drive - Similar Threads - Can't create recovery

2. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create an recovery drive.: I've tried to create an recovery drive for a reason and this screen will always pop up. Is there anyway to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-an-recovery-drive/d01f5a07-31f1-4634-9223-4b868b30e190
  3. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create an recovery drive.: I've tried to create an recovery drive for a reason and this screen will always pop up. Is there anyway to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-an-recovery-drive/d01f5a07-31f1-4634-9223-4b868b30e190
  4. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create recovery drive: I am trying to create a recovery drive. I'm an Office 365 user and don't have any installation media. Any help is much appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-recovery-drive/481b2af7-4acd-4dd9-a33e-b3b97007da0e
  6. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create recovery drive: I am trying to create a recovery drive. I'm an Office 365 user and don't have any installation media. Any help is much appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-recovery-drive/481b2af7-4acd-4dd9-a33e-b3b97007da0e
  7. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Recovery Drive: Can't Create

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovery Drive: Can't Create: Hi I am trying to create a recovery drive for my laptop. I received the laptop from a family member so I don't know if the recovery files, which I believe to be on one of the hard drives, are still there or not. I have run the Recovery Drive app and have followed all of its...
  9. Can't create Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't create Recovery Drive: Win 10 is running fine, but I wanted to create a Recovery Drive just in case. In the search bar I typed "RecoveryDrive.exe" and pressed enter. UAC popped up and I replied. The first recovery screen popped up. I accepted defaults on screen and selected Next. Next screen...
  10. Can't create a recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't create a recovery drive.: I've tried sfc / scannow, reinstalling windows, working with windows help desk, and computer manufacturer. Nothing works. I've tried different USB keys always larger than 16 gb. I've searched a lot of Internet sites. Any suggestions? 57833