Windows 10: Can't create recovery USB

Discus and support Can't create recovery USB in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I have a Dell XPS 15 that I'm trying to create a recovery USB for, but the tool to create recovery drives in Windows fails. It took me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/wuubb, Jun 16, 2020.

1. /u/wuubb Win User

Can't create recovery USB

Can't create recovery USB _aBU_z2qykc8ZzGoj-N7eOJQXzUJ4_6K9FCyEUpL3Ik.jpg

I have a Dell XPS 15 that I'm trying to create a recovery USB for, but the tool to create recovery drives in Windows fails. It took me awhile to figure out that it's because it formats the drive as FAT32, but the factory image is split into SWM files, one of which is larger than 4gb.

I've combined the SWM files into a single WIM image, took out all of the preinstalled bloat, which reduced the size by a few gigs, then exported with maximum compression. The WIM file itself is only 11.2 gigs so it should easily fit into 4 files, yet no matter what file size I specify when splitting into SWM files, there is one that stubbornly stays at 4.4gb.

https://preview.redd.it/2859dyrg8b5...bp&s=7cffa5ccd092ac66bf3100a5fca97f79daefcd0d

I've tried making the recovery drive without the system files, then copying them over, I've tried converting to NTFS after it fails then copy that one file over, but the WinRE menu still doesn't show recovering from an image as an option. I'm not sure what tweaks I have to do in order to make this work but it's very frustrating to say the least and if anyone has any experience/advice on this I would be most appreciative.

submitted by /u/wuubb
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/wuubb, Jun 16, 2020

2. Cant create Recovery USB

Hi Cole,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to refer to the thread answered by Mr. Andre Da Costa and check if it helps.

How to create a recovery image/partition in Windows 10

You may also refer to the article “Create a USB recovery drive” and follow the steps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jun 16, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    USB Recovery

Hi Janie,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply to the following questions to get a better understanding on the issue:

• Are you getting any error message?
    • How are you creating the recovery USB?

However, you can follow the steps from Create a recovery drive
    to create a recovery drive.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 16, 2020
  4. Can't create recovery USB

Akheel Ahmed, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Can't create recovery USB

1. Can't create recovery USB - Similar Threads - Can't create recovery

2. Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB: My installed system on a new computer, has a 1.73gb partition on the SSD called "recovery Partition", but, the only references/utilities/apps I can find will only create a recovery "drive" on an external USB/disk.What's the go??What's the point of this partition taking up...
  3. Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB: My installed system on a new computer, has a 1.73gb partition on the SSD called "recovery Partition", but, the only references/utilities/apps I can find will only create a recovery "drive" on an external USB/disk.What's the go??What's the point of this partition taking up...
  4. Cannot create a recovery usb

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot create a recovery usb: When using Recovery to create a usb in admin the system tells me we cannot create the recovery disk. It is set up to go to Drive D. It has a 12 GB USB connected....
  5. creating a recovery usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    creating a recovery usb: Hi, I am trying to put a recovery of windows 10 to a new 32gb usb stick. I am running the latest version of windows. The desktop pc recognizes the usb but the recovery option does not, I just get the green progress bar going along the 'window'. I have tried disabling the anti...
  6. Creating a recovery usb

Creating a recovery usb: Hi there, I want to upgrade from windows 10 v1909 to v2004. So i decided to create a recovery drive so that i can clean install the os if my update fails. I have created a recovery usb drive using "create recovery drive" option in windows, when i was running in windows 10...
  7. can not create a recovery usb

can not create a recovery usb: I have seen reams of problems with this issue - but is there a definitive answer [4 years on!]? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-create-a-recovery-usb/2578b815-76c3-4d30-add3-2672a724d228
  8. Creating a USB Recovery Drive

Creating a USB Recovery Drive: Hi I have a question about creating a USB Recovery Drive on a memory stick with Recovery Drive Desktop App in Windows 10. I've read online that a recovery drive should be remade following Windows Updates, and about once a month in order to retain your Windows settings....
  9. Creating a Recovery Drive USB

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creating a Recovery Drive USB: I have recently updated to Version 1511 and thought I would try to create a recovery drive on a USB having been unsuccessful when trying in the earlier Windows 10. This time it seemed to be working with the system files box checked, though it seemed to take an age before the...
  10. Cannot Create Recovery USB

Cannot Create Recovery USB: I have a handful of questions and issues with "Create Recovery Drive" 1. How dose Windows 10 Recovery disk work? When I first tried to create a recovery drive, it specifies the drive size I would need. One said I would need a USB that would take up to 8GB, the other...