Windows 10: Can't customize folders; icon layout resets

Discus and support Can't customize folders; icon layout resets in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Ever since the last update, I've noticed my in-folder icons keep resetting to detail view I prefer large icons (I work with a lot of image files).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by EdFrank1, Aug 12, 2019.

1. EdFrank1 Win User

Can't customize folders; icon layout resets

Ever since the last update, I've noticed my in-folder icons keep resetting to detail view I prefer large icons (I work with a lot of image files). Attempting to fix this via folder Properties > Customize, I discovered something else: I can no longer change folder templates. I tell it to change from General Items to Pictures or Music, but the change doesn't go through. Once I close and reopen Properties, the panel shows it's back to General Items. If I'd changed the view on the folder to something besides Detail, attempting to change the template resets it to Detail view.

For some reason, I can change templates of folders in Pictures or Documents. Remove a folder from Pictures or Documents, though, and it resets to General Items.

Any thoughts or fixes? This is small, but irritating.

:)

EdFrank1, Aug 12, 2019

2. Continuous Reset Layout Icons

right click on the desktop, and at the top of the popup window is "sort by", you can then click which way you want the folders and icons sorted on the desktop.

There is one way I know that it can reset after setting it the way you want. If you don't reset the PC normally to allow the changes to set in. If you were to crash the system or power down holding the power button, the system will default to the last save configuration (which is likely by alphabetical order).

sneekypeet, Aug 12, 2019
  3. Continuous Reset Layout Icons

Get a system tweaking app to reset your folder ache, CCleaner should do this.

It'll reset your default view for ALL folders however.

There is a chanc eyou've just hit the limit of how many folders you can arrange, urm, trying to think of soething to fix that, or google a reg fix.

terrastrife, Aug 12, 2019
  4. Can't customize folders; icon layout resets

Changing and locking a custom icon to a folder?

I want to change a few folders icons and fix the icon to the folder so if its moved to other computers the icon wont change is there any way of doing this thanks,

Live OR Die, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Can't customize folders; icon layout resets

1. Can't customize folders; icon layout resets - Similar Threads - Can't customize folders

2. Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11: I am trying to change the icon of a folder on my computer and it doesn't work.I go to properties/customize/change icon and I choose an .ico file I have in a folder. When I click on "apply" the icon changes, but then it reverts back to the default.I also tried with an icon in...
  3. Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11: I am trying to change the icon of a folder on my computer and it doesn't work.I go to properties/customize/change icon and I choose an .ico file I have in a folder. When I click on "apply" the icon changes, but then it reverts back to the default.I also tried with an icon in...
  4. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  5. Customize folder icon

Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  6. Cannot customize folder icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot customize folder icons: Firstly, I am sorry if this was posted before, I saw many similar, but I could not find the solution.So, I am downloading icons .ico and I am trying to customize my icons Windows 11, but the same was happening since Windows 10. When I go to the properties of the folter, there...
  7. Cannot customize folder icons

Cannot customize folder icons: Firstly, I am sorry if this was posted before, I saw many similar, but I could not find the solution.So, I am downloading icons .ico and I am trying to customize my icons Windows 11, but the same was happening since Windows 10. When I go to the properties of the folter, there...
  8. I can't customize folder icons anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't customize folder icons anymore: I was able to customize folder icons but they changed into what looks like an empty folder. I tried restoring them to their original image and customizing it again but the same empty folder appears. The ico files I have just don't seem to work anymore. When I try to customize...
  9. Custom Folder Icons issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Custom Folder Icons issue: Hello, I'm totally new to this community so I don't know if I'm posting it in the right topic. I'm making customized DVD shape folder icons for my movies. As long as it is PNG it's fine. When I convert it into *.ico with "Any to Icon" and export it to my desktop it is fine...
  10. I can't change folder icon to a custom one

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't change folder icon to a custom one: I created a new folder on the desktop and I can't change its icon to a one I downloaded. selecting the icon from the stock list (shell32.dll) works fine though. I tried with another folder in different location, still no luck. however, when I created a shortcut to the folder...