Windows 10: Can't customize folders; icon layout resets

Discus and support Can't customize folders; icon layout resets in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Ever since the last update, I've noticed my in-folder icons keep resetting to detail view I prefer large icons (I work with a lot of image files).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by EdFrank1, Aug 12, 2019.

1. EdFrank1 Win User

Can't customize folders; icon layout resets

Ever since the last update, I've noticed my in-folder icons keep resetting to detail view I prefer large icons (I work with a lot of image files). Attempting to fix this via folder Properties > Customize, I discovered something else: I can no longer change folder templates. I tell it to change from General Items to Pictures or Music, but the change doesn't go through. Once I close and reopen Properties, the panel shows it's back to General Items. If I'd changed the view on the folder to something besides Detail, attempting to change the template resets it to Detail view.

For some reason, I can change templates of folders in Pictures or Documents. Remove a folder from Pictures or Documents, though, and it resets to General Items.

Any thoughts or fixes? This is small, but irritating.

:)

EdFrank1, Aug 12, 2019

2. Continuous Reset Layout Icons

right click on the desktop, and at the top of the popup window is "sort by", you can then click which way you want the folders and icons sorted on the desktop.

There is one way I know that it can reset after setting it the way you want. If you don't reset the PC normally to allow the changes to set in. If you were to crash the system or power down holding the power button, the system will default to the last save configuration (which is likely by alphabetical order).

sneekypeet, Aug 12, 2019
  3. Continuous Reset Layout Icons

Get a system tweaking app to reset your folder ache, CCleaner should do this.

It'll reset your default view for ALL folders however.

There is a chanc eyou've just hit the limit of how many folders you can arrange, urm, trying to think of soething to fix that, or google a reg fix.

terrastrife, Aug 12, 2019
  4. Can't customize folders; icon layout resets

Changing and locking a custom icon to a folder?

I want to change a few folders icons and fix the icon to the folder so if its moved to other computers the icon wont change is there any way of doing this thanks,

Live OR Die, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Can't customize folders; icon layout resets

1. Can't customize folders; icon layout resets - Similar Threads - Can't customize folders

2. Customizing the Start Layout file.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customizing the Start Layout file.: Hello guys, hoping for a bit of assistance. We have Windows 10 1809 build LTSC, which I am currently writing policies for. One of the policies is customizing the start layout - specifically pinning items to the task bar. I want to keep the start menu free of any live tiles,...
  3. Resetting user folder folder icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Resetting user folder folder icons: My desktop folder in my user folder has changed itself to a plain ugly one. How can I set this back to how it should be? [img] 111582
  4. Permanent Custom Folder Icon Problem

Permanent Custom Folder Icon Problem: Hi Guys need help OS Windows 10 Windows anniversary version updated so the problem is with folder ico customisation it is not staying permanently first i downloads a regular ico file from online source then i uses this method How to apply Permanent Icons -...
  5. Windows 10 folder CUSTOM icon

Windows 10 folder CUSTOM icon: Hi, I am new, so apologies if this is the wrong area to post in, I have set a 'Custom icon' via the folder properties file (Select folder, Right click, properties,etc) and I can see the image I want but it is surrounded by a folder still I was wondering if there is a fix or...
  6. Is there any way to customize the folder icons in 'This PC'?

Is there any way to customize the folder icons in 'This PC'?: Hi, As the title says, I'm trying to change the default look of the folders located in 'This PC' (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc). By this I mean when viewing in 'This PC', and not in 'C:\User Data\', which has no problems. I have tried: - Editing windows.ini...
  7. I can't change folder icon to a custom one

I can't change folder icon to a custom one: I created a new folder on the desktop and I can't change its icon to a one I downloaded. selecting the icon from the stock list (shell32.dll) works fine though. I tried with another folder in different location, still no luck. however, when I created a shortcut to the folder...
  8. Custom Folder Icons in Windows 10

Custom Folder Icons in Windows 10: I hope everyone is fine. I want to assign custom icons to my folders related to Movies, TV Series etc. I know how to do it but how do i make these custom folder icons permanent so wherever i copy paste the folder the icon goes along with it. I researched about it and did...
  9. Custom Icons for This PC 'Folders'

Custom Icons for This PC 'Folders': Custom Icons for This PC 'Folders' ----- I first posted this as a reply to a tutorial but then I noticed it is better suited here ----- First of all, thanks for this guide and all other guides that eliminate the junk that's just useless and irritating. I don't need...
  10. Custom Folder Icons on a NAS Network Drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Custom Folder Icons on a NAS Network Drive?: Greetings! Quite some time ago I went the extra mile in making custom Folder Icons for quite a lot of my stuff - Mainly because it's easier to navigate the content when watched from a TV more than an arm length away as even with magnification it's kind of a pain in the ass...