Windows 10: Can't decrypt file even though I have the certificate imported

Discus and support Can't decrypt file even though I have the certificate imported in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, so I've just reinstalled my windows 10 due to slow performance and I have encrypted files in my external drive with the certificate as well. Thing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GemailRigel, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Can't decrypt file even though I have the certificate imported

Hi, so I've just reinstalled my windows 10 due to slow performance and I have encrypted files in my external drive with the certificate as well. Thing is, I have imported the certificate successfully. Yet, I still can't decrypt my files. I have tried changing the owner of the folder which is where the files are located to Everyone as seen on other discussions, and still not work.

:)

GemailRigel, Mar 23, 2021

2. Windows 10 Encryption/Decryption of Folders/Files 'Certificate'

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Were you able to Encrypt the data?
    • Did you get any error message?
    • What exact issue are you facing with Encryption and Decryption?
    Note: The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate.
    If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup,
    you won't be able to use the files that you have encrypted.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 23, 2021
  3. user19702 Win User
    Windows 10 not using imported cert to decrypt EFS files

I encrypted some files with Windows's built-in EFS encryption, which involved creating a new EFS certificate and saving a backup of it somewhere. I recently swapped motherboards/re-imaged my PC and now cannot access the encrypted files, which is expected.

I re-imported my saved certificate using the correct password which worked successfully, but I still cannot access these files - getting various errors about permissions or decryption that aren't very specific.

Here is my current certificate store, I have created a new EFS cert and imported my old one:

Can't decrypt file even though I have the certificate imported PmO7u.png

Here is the details of the cert matching the thumbprint of the cert that is allowed to access the file.

Can't decrypt file even though I have the certificate imported kTx7I.png

If I try and remove the checkbox for encrypting these files I get this error:

Can't decrypt file even though I have the certificate imported fu8R9.png

Are there any steps I missed?

user19702, Mar 23, 2021
  4. Samuria Win User

Can't decrypt file even though I have the certificate imported

URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate

have you tried To decrypt a file or folder:

1. From the Start menu, select Programs or All Programs, then Accessories, and then Windows Explorer.
    2. Right-click the file or folder you want to decrypt, and then click Properties.
    3. On the General tab, click Advanced.
    4. Clear the Encrypt contents to secure data checkbox, and then click OK.
    When you decrypt a folder, you must decide whether to decrypt the folder only or to decrypt the folder and all files and subfolders contained within it. If you choose to decrypt the folder only, the files and subfolders within the folder remain encrypted. However, when you add new files and subfolders to the folder, they will not be automatically encrypted.

Samuria, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

Can't decrypt file even though I have the certificate imported

1. Can't decrypt file even though I have the certificate imported - Similar Threads - Can't decrypt file

2. Can't update, even though I have TPM 2.0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't update, even though I have TPM 2.0: I've been trying to update to Windows 11 with no luck. PC Health Check says "TPM 2.0 Enabled on this PC". The UEFI Bios says TPM20 Device Found and Secure Boot State Enabled. However the PC Health Check says that Secure Boot isn't enabled. Browsing the Registry shows an entry...
  3. Can't update, even though I have TPM 2.0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't update, even though I have TPM 2.0: I've been trying to update to Windows 11 with no luck. PC Health Check says "TPM 2.0 Enabled on this PC". The UEFI Bios says TPM20 Device Found and Secure Boot State Enabled. However the PC Health Check says that Secure Boot isn't enabled. Browsing the Registry shows an entry...
  4. Decryption of an encrypted file without certificate.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Decryption of an encrypted file without certificate.: I wanted to format my device since it was a lagging and I was lazy to clean off all the apps, so I simply formatted it and updated it to the new windows 21H1. I was previously on 20H2, and I had some compressed files, which I added a password to encrypted and before...
  5. Can't decrypt files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't decrypt files: I have a folder and files in :C and my :G drives that are encrypted with the general tab and as of yesterday I can no longer view my files as it says an error occurred applying attributes to the file the specified file could not be decrypted I never had a problem with this...
  6. HELP!! I CAN'T DELETE THIS FILE, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ADMIN!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    HELP!! I CAN'T DELETE THIS FILE, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ADMIN!: [ATTACH] I can't delete this file, even though I have admin. I've tried to change the security permissions, but it doesn't work. Please help!...
  7. Can't update to 2004 even though I have the requirements?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't update to 2004 even though I have the requirements?: [ATTACH] As per the Microsoft site: Current status as of June 16, 2020 Windows 10, version 2004 is available for users with devices running Windows 10, versions 1903 and 1909, who manually seek to “Check for updates” via Windows Update. As per below, my version is...
  8. URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate

in Windows 10 Support
    URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate: Dear community This is very urgent and i can't come up with a solution by my own. I'm getting scared that the mess i created isn't fixable. A while back i created an EFS encryption for my Laptop. As i'm not really an IT expert, i didn't really know what i was doing so i was...
  9. Can't delete a file even though I own it

Can't delete a file even though I own it: I recently installed some kind of virus onto my computer that runs these programs that make my laptop overheat very quickly and sometimes play random music. I figured out the location of these programs, located in two folders in Local Disk C: and have tried to delete them....
  10. I cannot delete this file even though i have ownership

I cannot delete this file even though i have ownership: I cannot delete this file even though i have ownership [ATTACH] but [ATTACH] I got this file while installing cheat engine and now i cannot uninstall it. I think its a virus or malware. Please help me. Should i wash my computer????? (i have important stuff) I also...