Windows 10: Can't decrypt files after moving onto external hard-drive and installing new version of...

Discus and support Can't decrypt files after moving onto external hard-drive and installing new version of... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My file system was crashing hard and I think it was from a virus. After exhausting every other possible option I moved all my most important files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JonDLO, Mar 16, 2020.

1. JonDLO Win User

Can't decrypt files after moving onto external hard-drive and installing new version of...

My file system was crashing hard and I think it was from a virus. After exhausting every other possible option I moved all my most important files onto an external hard-drive, wiped everything from my laptop hard-drive, and installed a new version of windows. Some of my most important files from my original hard-drive were encrypted and even though I made a point to decrypt them before moving them over, I apparently didn't properly apply it to all the files and subfolders within the main folder even though it showed it decrypting hundreds if not thousands of files after decrypting that folder that I probed afterward and the ones I check were all decrypted. Regardless my computer is running like new now because it basically is but despite that folder being decrypted it's now showing all the files inside as still encrypted and when trying to move cut, copy, paste, drag and drop my files back over from my external hard-drive it won't let me move any of the encrypted files back to my computer. Though it will let me cut and paste the encrypted files within the external hard-drive and allow me to drag and drop them to other folders within the hard-drive it will not let me open them or copy-paste them regardless of where they are. I was hoping if I could get them off the external hard-drive and back onto the laptop the decryption would work but it won't let me move them off of it.

At first, on my computer I was signed into a new Microsoft outlook account I created but after a while, I signed back into my original Microsoft account hoping this would help the files recognize the original owner but it hasn't seemed to make a difference.

If I try to move an encrypted file to the computer
    Or
    Copy Paste the file within the external hard drive, it says:
    You need permission to perform this action [despite me clicking the Administrator marked continue button]
    You require permission from [Insert whichever owner I try assigning to the file] to make changes to this file

If I try to open a file it says:

You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission [regardless of changing the owner of the file to myUsername, Administrators, System, Everyone, Trusted Installer, Authenticated User, CREATOR OWNER, and anything else I could find/think of]

If I go to File Ownership > Personal it says:

An unexpected error is keeping you from applying properties to the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x080071771: The specified file could not be decrypted.

If I click Properties > Advanced > Uncheck Encrypt > Ok > Apply it says:

An error occurred applying attributes to the file:
    [File Path]

The specified file could not be decrypted

When I try running cmd as an administrator and typing
    cipher /d /s:"FilePath"
    It says:

FileName1 [ERR]
    FileName1: The Specified file could not be decrypted
    FileName2 [ERR]
    FileName2: The Specified file could not be decrypted
    Etc..

I'm starting to run out of ideas but as a Mechatronics and Robotics Engineer I know that with computers it can sometimes feel very much close to the definition of insanity because you can try the same thing over and over again and even though it seems like your doing literally the exact same thing over and over again, you can sometimes actually expect different results because sometimes you actually do get different results because the order in which those things were done were just slightly different enough to make a difference. So I'm hoping that someone can tell me with excructiatingly painfully redudant detail how to solve this problem even if it's a solution I've already tried because maybe the particular order in which you describe it or in which I performed it is different enough that it will actually work this time.

Or even better if you can give me a potential solution I haven't heard of/thought of yet.

Regardless please take this extremely seriously. Losing these files would be devastating to me.

These are literally my most important files, I have things like:
    Pictures/Videos/Contacts from several of my old phones that include pictures of me and my dead brother

Years of tax returns
    Resumes

Business, Financial, and Life Plans
    A daily journal I was writing for a while

CAD Files and coding scripts for Inventions/New Technologies/Apps/Business Ideas I've created
    I even have a transcribed account of the day I proposed to my wife that I wrote the day after it happened so I couldn't forget the details when I get older.

Needless to say, I really do not want to give up on these files, so please, whatever it takes let's just find a fix for this.

And when I say I am a Mechatronics and Robotics engineer technically I am a Mechatronics and Robotics engineering student since I haven't graduated yet meaning I'm still a broke-**** college student so if you want to try to take advantage of my **** situation to squeeze me for money just **** off and troll elsewhere cuz I don't have it

For those seriously considering helping, thank you for reading this far and thank you so much for any hope you can provide me.

TL;DR

Help!
    Error 0x080071771: The specified file could not be decrypted.

:)

JonDLO, Mar 16, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Mar 16, 2020
  3. JanaDyck Win User
    move files from my C drive to an external hard drive.

what steps do I take to move files from my C drive to an external hard drive. My C drive is almost full.

JanaDyck, Mar 16, 2020
  4. Can't decrypt files after moving onto external hard-drive and installing new version of...

External Hard Drive

I am using a new desktop with Windows 10/Mozilla-Firefox Browser.....

External Iomega hard drive backup....Model LDHD320-U

I am having a problem accessing some files in the Iomega backup.

Problem #1:

Am not getting the "menu" window that gives all the options with the external hard driv

The following are the steps that I have taken to use the external hard drive:

Plug in Iomega external hard drive....

My Windows "File Explorer" recognizes the hard drive....

Clicking on the Iomega Drive brings up my file folders....

Brings up: Administrator

My name

Click on "my name"

Lists: "Desktop"

"Favorites"

"My Documents"

Double Click on "My Documents" brings up total list of those "files"

Some of the files are "defined" (on left side of list) with pic of a "file" folder.

Some are defined by, "Adobe Reader" symbol

Some are defined by, "Word" symbol

I can open successfully the "Adobe Reader" and "Word" files ok.

(I have Microsoft Office 2013 installed)
    The others with symbol of a plain file folder produces this small window error:

"Windows Script Host"
    Code: 800A1391
    Window is undefined

Tried looking up the error code above and don't understand squat......

Thank you...

<Moved to appropriate board>

Bert Canepa, Mar 16, 2020
Thema:

Can't decrypt files after moving onto external hard-drive and installing new version of...

1. Can't decrypt files after moving onto external hard-drive and installing new version of... - Similar Threads - Can't decrypt files

2. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  3. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  4. Can't download onto hard drive

Can't download onto hard drive: [IMG]The space on my computer itself is nearly full, at 1.74 free of 56.9 GB. I bought a hard drive that has 298GB and absolutely nothing on it but I can't download anything to it. I don't get an option to make what I'm downloading go to the drive instead of my computer and I...
  5. external hard disk decryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    external hard disk decryption: Hello, I have not been able to open my encrypted external hard drive on Windows 10 pro. The external drive was encrypted by using the same system and after encryption completed I removed the external drive then when I attached the drive, it says the device is locked and...
  6. Moving photos onto external hard drive

Moving photos onto external hard drive: Hello! I need help. I have a phone full of photos. I want to get them onto an external hard drive and I’m having a tough time. Any help would be appreciated. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7. The laptop is a Lenovo so Desktop/IBM. The external HD is a KESU with FAT-32. I...
  7. Move files to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move files to an external hard drive: i want to move pictured from my computers hard drive to an external hard drive via a usb port. When I right click and copy and go to past... I cant find the usc hard drive option to past to? thanks...
  8. BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE: Unable to open bitlocker encrypted external drive Windows 10 Pro Hello, I have not been able to open my encrypted hard drive on Windows professional Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063. The external drive was encrypted using this system (the same I am reporting now) and...
  9. Seagate External Hard drive Decryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard drive Decryption: My Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) was encrypted in Microsoft Windows 10. When I tried to decrypt it and removed password, Initially, it was removed. but when i plugged it in again in PC, it started asking for password / recovery key. I am using the same key which was...
  10. Cant move files onto a new drive

Cant move files onto a new drive: Hello. Recently ive bought a 2TB E: disk. It was working fine and i could move everything onto it up til recently, when i tried to move around 20 GB folder. I got an error that the disk is full and the files couldnt be moved but the disk still has 1.7 TB Free Space. Heres the...