Windows 10: Can't decrypt files

Discus and support Can't decrypt files in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a folder and files in :C and my :G drives that are encrypted with the general tab and as of yesterday I can no longer view my files as it says... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by deadsire, Apr 23, 2021.

1. deadsire Win User

Can't decrypt files

I have a folder and files in :C and my :G drives that are encrypted with the general tab and as of yesterday I can no longer view my files as it says an error occurred applying attributes to the file the specified file could not be decrypted I never had a problem with this now all of a sudden all my files that were encrypted are saying this when I try to decrypt them . Any help thanks

:)

deadsire, Apr 23, 2021

2. How to Decrypt *.cerber3 files?

AFAIK it's still not possible to decrypt your files for free...

In addition to what has been mentioned in the prior posts, you might want to read this:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/cerber-ransomware-switches-to-cerber3-extension-for-encrypted-files/

And I strongly suggest to read/do:

Jsssssssss, Apr 23, 2021
  3. How to Decrypt *.cerber3 files?

Any files that are encrypted with Cerber Ransomware will be renamed with 10 random characters plus the
    .cerber (i.e. 2C1OlcaXdF.cerber, Ku7dYlcvkj.cerber) or .cerber2 extension (see

here
    ) appended to the end of the encrypted data filename and leave files (ransom notes) named DECRYPT MY FILES#.vbs, DECRYPT MY FILES#.txt, DECRYPT MY FILES#.html.

The newest variant of Cerber Ransomware will have a .cerber3 extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename and leave files (ransom notes) named # HELP DECRYPT #.txt, # HELP DECRYPT #.html, and # HELP DECRYPT
    #.url.

Trend Micro released a
    Ransomware File Decryptor
    for victims of earlier Cerber infections but it has limitations...must be used on the infected machine, may take several hours to complete decryption, some files may be only partially decrypted.
    However, victims of Cerber Ransomware have reported the decryption tool does not work on cerber3 encrypted files.

In cases where a decryption tool does not work and you do not plan on paying the ransom, the only other alternative is to
    backup/save your data as is and wait for a possible breakthrough...meaning, what seems like an impossibility at the moment (decryption of your data), there is always hope someday there may be a potential solution so save the encrypted data
    and wait until that time. Imaging the drive backs up everything related to the infection including encrypted files, ransom notes and registry entries containing possible information which may be needed if a solution is ever discovered.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where you can ask questions and seek further assistance. Other victims have been directed there to share information, experiences and suggestions.

quietman7 - MVP, Apr 23, 2021
  4. CSkut Win User

Can't decrypt files

Corrupted Win10 Profile, and Can't Decrypt Files

Hey there, Andre:

Thank you very much for your quick response. I finally got a chance to try troubleshooting per your suggestions. Here's what I came up with.

I apologize if I wasn't clearer in my issue originally. The files themselves were never actually ON the same drive as the OS. THE OS was on drive C. My files were on drive F. However, I had somehow encrypted those files with my profile... and now that
    profile is corrupted.

I tried the suggestions on that you linked, and these are my results:

• Option 1: Change File Ownership to "Personal" in the context menu results in following error:
      • An unexpected error is keeping you from applying properties to the file. IF you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.
      • Error 0x80071771: The specified file could not be decrypted.

• Options 2 and 3: Decrypt Folder or File, (respectively), in Advanced Attributes:
      • Trying to remove encryption by deselecting the "Encrypt contents to secure data" checkbox in the Advanced Attributes window yields the following error:
        • An error occurred applying attributes to the file: F:\EXAMPLEFOLDER\EXAMPLEFILENAME: The specified file could not be decrypted.
    • Options 4 and 5: Decrypting Folders and Files in Command Prompt, respectively:
      • When running cmd prompt in Admin mode, and executing the cipher /d and cipher /d/s: commands, the following error is thrown:
      • F:\EXAMPLEFOLDER\EXAMPLEFILENAME\: the system cannot find the path specified.0 file(s) [or directorie(s) were decrypted.
      • This is problematic, because I can click on the folders and files themselves from the windows GUI.

I still have the corrupted profile on my computer... is there a way to reach into it to extract the cipher?

Thank you so much for your help! (Didn't expect to take a crash-course in Windows security, but there we are, LOL).

Best,

Chris

CSkut, Apr 23, 2021
Thema:

Can't decrypt files

1. Can't decrypt files - Similar Threads - Can't decrypt files

2. Decrypting file is impossible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Decrypting file is impossible: I have a couple of files that are encrypted by doing right click -> Properties -> Advanced... -> Encrypt contents to secure data. But I can't decrypt them anymore. Everytime I diable that checkbox and apply my changes I get this:When going into "Details" next to the checkbox...
  3. Decrypting file is impossible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Decrypting file is impossible: I have a couple of files that are encrypted by doing right click -> Properties -> Advanced... -> Encrypt contents to secure data. But I can't decrypt them anymore. Everytime I diable that checkbox and apply my changes I get this:When going into "Details" next to the checkbox...
  4. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File system decryption - cannot decrypt file: I have Windows 10 reinstalled with disk format.I have exported certificate to .PFX file from old system and imported into new system.In new system user has same name as in old system.I cannot decrypt files from old system.When I runcipher /c mypath\ds.txt I can see '...
  5. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File system decryption - cannot decrypt file: I have Windows 10 reinstalled with disk format.I have exported certificate to .PFX file from old system and imported into new system.In new system user has same name as in old system.I cannot decrypt files from old system.When I runcipher /c mypath\ds.txt I can see '...
  6. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can't decrypt encrypted files after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't decrypt encrypted files after update: Hi I have an encrypted folder I enrypted. Now after the update to the newest version I cannot open any files in the folder, copy them or deactivate encryption. When I go into properties and try to decrypt, I get an error saying the file cannot be decrypted. If I try to copy...
  8. Corrupted Win10 Profile, and Can't Decrypt Files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupted Win10 Profile, and Can't Decrypt Files: Hey folks: I've got two HDs; one which is for the OS, and one for files. (I run Macrium Reflect, but stupidly did not include the OS drive in that imaging.) For some reason my Windows profile became corrupted. While I still have all of my files on the second hard drive,...
  9. Decrypt .Nusar files ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Decrypt .Nusar files ?: Hello, I have got infected by Nusar virus, and all my files are crypted now, I removed the virus by Kaspersky, but I couldn't decrypt the files, please help me ! 136298
  10. Cannot decrypt files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot decrypt files: I had encrypted some pictures on windows 8 pro and then transferred it to hard disk without decrypting them. Now problem is that I have updated to windows 10 pro and I can no longer decrypt the images. It says access denied. What do I do now and how can i get back my...