Windows 10: Can't define Default APP Windows 10

Discus and support Can't define Default APP Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been using Firefox Portable for several years and after updating to Windows 10 I can set it as the default app for web browsing. Within settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jodybingo, Aug 7, 2015.

1. jodybingo Win User

Can't define Default APP Windows 10

I have been using Firefox Portable for several years and after updating to Windows 10 I can set it as the default app for web browsing. Within settings I can change the default app from IE to Edge but have no way of browsing to the location of my FF portable (in my documents folder). When I try setting it as default browser from within FF it just brings me to the Windows settings where I get stuck again.
    Can I set my FF portable to my default browser?

:)

jodybingo, Aug 7, 2015

2. Windows 10 Calendar and Maps default application.

Hello there,

Just migrated today from windows 8.1 but have a little issue with my calendar and my maps app.

Both can't be defined as "default" as they don't appear in the default application list in the configuration panel.

I get as well an issue with the calendar where I'm not able to make my google calendar the default one which is an issue with Cortana.

Hope someone can help me.

François Houlbrèque, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Rene Grom Win User
    ms mail in windows 10...

How do I make Windows 10 Send To -> Mail recipient open Windows Mail?

Currently it tries to open Outlook 2016, which I don't use.

In default programs Windows Mail is defined as the default Email client and I also tried to look in "choose default apps by protocol" and URL:MailTo is associated with Windows Mail.

I couldn't find how to change the .MAPIMail association.

Rene Grom, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Control Panel, Default Programs. Do both of the following:

Set your default programs.
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Ztruker, Aug 9, 2015
  5. I'm doing the same. Using FF portable as my main browser since I move between two PCs. The way I got around it was download and install the full FF, and set that as default. Then when you are using the portable version anything that uses FF will use the portable since it's already open even though the full FF is set to default. I'm going to try the default app thing to see though. Thanks for the advice.

Bobby Phoenix, Aug 9, 2015
  6. Devalno Win User
    I'm having the same / a similar problem with my portable browser. Setting a default program or associating a protocol doesn't work in the case of urls and a portable program.

File extension association (e.g. with .html and .htm) works fine by the way.

The problem is with url protocol handling. Control Panel>Default Programs>Set Associations makes a distinction between "Extensions" and "Protocols". For file extensions you can change the program and browse your pc to find the location of any program (which works fine for .html), but with protocols there is no similar way to browse to the location of your portable browser, only normally installed browsers are shown to handle the http protocol for instance.
    Changing the default program for the .url file extension (which is found under "Extensions" and not under "Protocols", so you can browse for any program to set as the default) to a portable browser, makes the browser opening .url files as if it were text files, instead of opening the actual link within that text file (with .url extension). The Current Default program for the .url file extensions is "Internet Browser", which I think links back to your default web browser as set in the new Settings menu of Windows 10. When the "Internet Browser" is the default program, .url files are opened directly in the default browser (Edge or IE, not the portable one since you cannot set that as the default).

I have been trying to fix it by messing with the registry a bit, as described here and here, with no results so far. (not so strange since these sites are years old and meant for other Windows versions way before Windows 10).

I do think it should be possible though. I'm using the portable program XnView, and somehow that program shows up in the new Settings>System>Default Apps>Photo Viewer list, as if it were installed, without having to browse to its location manually. I did associate the .jpg file extension with this program manually beforehand, but that's all I did. I also associated my portable browser with .html, but that didn't make it to show up as an option for a default web browser.

I'm hoping someone has an idea how to fix this!

Devalno, Aug 14, 2015
  7. Xierion Win User
    I had a similar problem trying to get Chrome to be a default browser in a sandbox. After hunting around for about 4 days, I think I have it sussed and have the below .reg file which does the trick and makes Chrome show up in the default browsers popup in settings. you should be able to adapt for your needs.

Xierion, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't define Default APP Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't define Default

2. Open app with defined window size and on defined position

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open app with defined window size and on defined position: Hello,how can be possible in Win10 and Win111. Open app with defined window size only an example: open MS Word with window size x700,y600,2. Open app to defined position on desktop only an example: Open MS Word app left top corner to desktop position x20,y10,3. It are...
  3. Open app with defined window size and on defined position

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open app with defined window size and on defined position: Hello,how can be possible in Win10 and Win111. Open app with defined window size only an example: open MS Word with window size x700,y600,2. Open app to defined position on desktop only an example: Open MS Word app left top corner to desktop position x20,y10,3. It are...
  4. Open app with defined window size and on defined position

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I can't launch Windows 10 default apps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't launch Windows 10 default apps: I can find these default app in Task Scheduler but cannot launch them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-launch-windows-10-default-apps/8fa46a16-0e80-4c5c-9e26-21cbcdc743e7
  6. Default App Can't Change

Default App Can't Change: Recently I have some .swf files in my computer, and currently it can be played with GOM Player. Now, I wanted to change the default app for opening the swf files, to Adobe Flash Player, that was part of Adobe Animate. But strangely, it won't allow me to change at all - it...
  7. Can't Change Default Apps On Windows 10

Can't Change Default Apps On Windows 10: I've installed Media Player Classic on my computer and I can't set it as my default video player. I right clicked on a video file and clicked on properties and selected Media Player Classic as the program that file type should open with. But after selecting it, the default...
  8. Not possible to define a default application by type of file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not possible to define a default application by type of file: Good morning, since a few weeks, every time I try to open an excel, word or illustrator file (just as examples) I get the following error: [ATTACH] When I try to go to set the default app by file type setting, I see that the .ai file has no application assoviated with...
  9. Can one define a Google Chrome App as default app for a filetype?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can one define a Google Chrome App as default app for a filetype?: I would like to define a Google Chrome app (aka. Google Chrome extension) called "Readium" as default handler for .epub files (an ebook format), because I consider it better than Edge (which handles these files by default) for this purpose. Now, I was able to define Chrome...
  10. how does windows 10 define apps

in Windows 10 Support
    how does windows 10 define apps: i was trying to install updates and i got this [img] and i was wondering what is included by "apps" 84807