Windows 10: Can't defrag System drive, Windows 10

Discus and support Can't defrag System drive, Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My PC is running slowly and buffering very frequently during videos, so I did disk clean, made sure all extraneous programs were removed etc. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CJCBry, Jun 23, 2021.

1. CJCBry Win User

Can't defrag System drive, Windows 10

My PC is running slowly and buffering very frequently during videos, so I did disk clean, made sure all extraneous programs were removed etc. It hardly made any difference to the available memory etc. My defrag is set to weekly but I tried to run a defrag/Optimize and was told: OS Drive C: OK 0% fragmented HP Recovery Drive D: OK 0% fragmented System Needs optimization 85% defragmentedClicking on 'Analyze' for SYSTEM just gave me the same answer. Clicking on 'Optimize', nothing happened trie

:)

CJCBry, Jun 23, 2021
  2. Kem Mon Win User

Defragment and Optimize Drives Problem

Hi Edward,

Based on the details you have provided, your C drive was unrecognized by the system. We suggest that you run these
    commands and see if there are any changes:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Run
      the following commands:

• To fix any logical file errors:

• Chkdsk C: /f /r

• To defrag your Drive C manually:

• Defrag C: /D /U

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jun 23, 2021
  3. Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, Jun 23, 2021
  4. Bundy Win User

Good defrag utility??

I have tried out most of the defraggers listed above and would not any of them on an OS drive. They all interfere with the boot optimisation that MS has implemented and do not adequately replace it (if the option to do so exists).

I recommend using the Windows defragger, prefetch ,superfetch and layout.ini system for your OS drive as they are all interelated and work the best.

For non OS drives, there are a number of approaches, I suggest Ultimate defrag or Optimum defrag do a great job on game drives or storage drives. Mussels thread has the info.

Bundy, Jun 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Can't defrag System drive, Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't defrag System

2. Defraging drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Defraging drive: I have Norton Utilities and have their optimizing operation as part of my normal maintenance process. I also use the Windows 10 Optimizing utility Properties/Tools/Optimize. My question is why there is such a difference in the results? I see a fragmention of 5+% in Windows 10...
  3. Defragmenting drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Defragmenting drive: So I opened the defragmenting app but it says my drives cannot be optimized, does anyone know why the drive cannot be optimized? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-drive/7fb54b9b-2e60-4c28-bbd0-5a3cd276c6d2
  4. Unable to defrag system drive after windows 10 v.2004 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to defrag system drive after windows 10 v.2004 update: Following an upgrade of Windows 10 to version 2004, my system drive has many blocks which cannot be defragmented. I'm using auslogics defrag ultimate, which usually allows the user to identify any particular block - but in this case the offending blocks simply invoke the...
  5. Defragment & Optimise Drives Windows 10 mess

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragment & Optimise Drives Windows 10 mess: So when is microsoft going to fix the now 6-month old bug in the Defragment & Optimise Drives feature of Windows 10? This glitch has been damaging hard drives, especially SSD drives. Or doesn't MS care?...
  6. Windows System Defrag

Windows System Defrag: says needs optimazation but when defrag is ran it stays at 20% https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-system-defrag/afb58b13-1b6d-40e7-aa16-c57b6000bd62
  7. Can't defrag

Can't defrag: I have the same issue with my Windows 10. Says it can't defrag because task scheduler isn't running. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-defrag/327a5c0b-2bed-4cec-888b-050d3b11ddb2
  8. Defrag System Reserve

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defrag System Reserve: running win 10 my bootup time has doubled I checked all I know and it shows my system reserve is 100% defragged. How do I correct this problem. Is there a inexpensive program that will repair window problem. also when I try and defrag the reserve it really does nothing....
  9. system defrag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    system defrag: My Windows 10 SYSTEM is 15% fragmented and should be optimized. When I click on optimize it very quickly runs down the percentage numbers as though it's doing it's job. But then it settles again at 15%. I already tried a manual defrag command. That didn't help. All my other...
  10. Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10: How to: Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10 How to Optimize and Defragment Drives in Windows 10 One of the best ways you can improve your PC's performance is by optimizing the drive. Windows includes features to help optimize the different types of drives that PCs...